Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe: Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase? (Part 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S First Drive Reviews - Page 97

- Before the end of the year the details of 3-phase charging will be out. The plug will (obviously be different) (Video at 0:48). After the drive the rep. also more or less confirmed that there will be still only one charge port but hence the plug and receptacle itself will be different in Europe as compared to the US (more pins). He said there should be no problem fitting it in the current charge port location.

Yes... But I'll be jubilant if I get L1, L2, L3, N and PE plus an adapter :) (But I can't see much point in creating a Tesla specific plug for three phase)

Hmm - will a Tesla specific plug work with 43 kW fixed cables?

No, I don't think so that 43kW will work.

An adapter is not allowed, but also I think the Model S will max out at 22kW

Sent from my phone, so my apologies for typos.

An adapter is not allowed, but also I think the Model S will max out at 22kW

Would be nice to be able to charge from those too, even at reduced rate. I think we will get quite a few of those at existing quick-charging locations.

Are adapters completely forbidden even when supplied by the manufacturer? If so, they really should just use the Mennekes socket.

22kW without any special hardware would still be nice. We have to buy the HPWC here to get 20kW. Can't wait to find out what they did for the European market.
The last rumour I heard was that there would be good news before Christmas...

22kW without any special hardware would still be nice. We have to buy the HPWC here to get 20kW. Can't wait to find out what they did for the European market.

You still need an EVSE aka charging station which can handle 22kW.

Those retail for about EUR 1700,00 but I build mine with Open EVSE for EUR 800,00

The HPWC is also nothing more than a EVSE with a Tesla logo and design.

if tesla provides a cable with one side "mennekes" other side "tesla" I do not see the problem!
that's what everyone is doing right now in europe in a way already!

Particularly 43 kW charging stations tend to have a fixed cable. That cable does not have a Tesla connector at the end!

As far as I know, you're supposed to bring your own cable for 16 and 32 A, but at 63 A the charge point has the cable. I might very well be wrong, though.

Particularly 43 kW charging stations tend to have a fixed cable. That cable does not have a Tesla connector at the end!

As far as I know, you're supposed to bring your own cable for 16 and 32 A, but at 63 A the charge point has the cable. I might very well be wrong, though.
No, you are right. 63A points have a fixed cable.

So you need a Type 2 inlet on the car to charge there.

Are adapters completely forbidden even when supplied by the manufacturer? If so, they really should just use the Mennekes socket.
Adapters between the charging cable and car are forbidden by the standards adopted in Europe.

- - - Updated - - -

if tesla provides a cable with one side "mennekes" other side "tesla" I do not see the problem!
Unfortunately, the IEC disagree with you...

IEC 61851-1 {ed 2.0} 6.3.3 "Adaptors shall not be used to connect a vehicle connector to a vehicle inlet"

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm - will a Tesla specific plug work with 43 kW fixed cables?
I don't think this will work because I don't think Tesla will adopt Type 2... real shame given the same connector also supports 70kW DC...