Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe: Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase? (Part 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They don't really show the inside of the business end of the EU mobile connector. I'm curious if it's physically keyed to only work with the Model S or it it will work with other vehicles that have a Type-2 inlet. It seems to have the standard insertion depth, so I'd assume it to be standard Mennekes.

Looking forward to seeing the EU Supercharger connector.

Charging with crOhm EVSE1 @ 3x32Amps
uploadfromtaptalk1377118902176.jpg

Last edited:
They don't really show the inside of the business end of the EU mobile connector. I'm curious if it's physically keyed to only work with the Model S or it it will work with other vehicles that have a Type-2 inlet. It seems to have the standard insertion depth, so I'd assume it to be standard Mennekes.

and if the supercharger worked with Renault Zoe? and if it had an alliance with Renault to jointly expand supercharger network? would be a stunning breakthrough for Europe.

Nice!
So you do have the Twin Chargers in the car? The rumors where that they would be delivered with one charge

Yes, mine does actually have Twin Chargers even if Tesla told me a week ago, that it wouldn't have them.

I see the 3-phase Icon next to the 29A. But why 29A? Just as a precaution? Is it a setting in the crOhm or a limitation of the Model S?

I don't know why, but charging limited itself, when I tried yesterday. After a while it went down to 25Amps, where it leveled out. When I tried it again today (see screenshot below), I could draw the complete 3x32A and was able to charge with 90 km/h.

uploadfromtaptalk1377151094980.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks linaser! Very interesting! Strange that the twin chargers are installed even though you were told not. Here in Norway everyone is told the 2nd charger will be retrofitted, but I don't think anyone had the chance to try 22kW AC yet.

And we can then conclude that the stuff about 10 or 20 kW was incorrect - it will charge at the full 16 or 32 A, 400 V three phase, i.e. 11 or 22 kW.

BTW, Tesla measures the three phase voltage in a completely non-standard way, between phase and neutral. They should measure phase-to-phase.

All in all - this is great news! :)

Last edited:

The EU Supercharger will certainly have the upper rectangular key shown on the EU Model S inlet. That will prevent it from being inserted into any other Type 2 inlet.

And we can then conclude that the stuff about 10 or 20 kW was incorrect - it will charge at the full 16 or 32 A, 400 V three phase, i.e. 11 or 22 kW.

BTW, Tesla measures the three phase voltage in a completely non-standard way, between phase and neutral. They should measure phase-to-phase.

All in all - this is great news! :)
Well, I don't think it's a true 3-phase charger. Each "charger" consists out of 3 small chargers I think, each capable of 16A.

Well, I don't think it's a true 3-phase charger. Each "charger" consists out of 3 small chargers I think, each capable of 16A.

Congrats on helping nudge Tesla in the 3 phase charging direction. I know you were one of the first to really push for 3 phase charging on the Model S.

Did they pretty much accomplish what you had hoped for other then 3x64A I guess?

Congrats on helping nudge Tesla in the 3 phase charging direction. I know you were one of the first to really push for 3 phase charging on the Model S.

Did they pretty much accomplish what you had hoped for other then 3x64A I guess?
Thanks! I was greeted the same way by Tesla today in Tilburg. They all know who "Wido" is, the 3-phase guy... :)

Sure, 3x63A would have been even cooler, but I'm very happy with the result. 22kW and a Type 2 inlet with SC capabilities!

Charging with crOhm EVSE1 @ 3x32Amps

Still awaiting the CrOhm EVSE, the 400V/32A cable is ready, but crOhm claims to have issues with electronic supplier, so I hope to get it soon. What kind of cable do you use? Is it a Standard type 2 cable I assume, was wondering how it can be unplugged since it does not have a button as the Tesla plug?

Have you also signed the document where you were told the the twin charger will be retrofitted? May I ask what your VIN Number is?

Hmmm... If you all were told that the car is already equiped with one charger only, and regarding it achieves 3x32A... Maybe with dual chargers you will get 3x63A :D

Yes, I am stubborn :D

If you could remove the back seat cover and see if there are actually two chargers...

Still awaiting the CrOhm EVSE, the 400V/32A cable is ready, but crOhm claims to have issues with electronic supplier, so I hope to get it soon. What kind of cable do you use? Is it a Standard type 2 cable I assume, was wondering how it can be unplugged since it does not have a button as the Tesla plug?

Have you also signed the document where you were told the the twin charger will be retrofitted? May I ask what your VIN Number is?

You may get this other EVSE:

FAST Charger - Tipo 2 - Fino a 19 kW trifase - Ricarica Portatile - Prodotti

Last edited:
Still awaiting the CrOhm EVSE, the 400V/32A cable is ready, but crOhm claims to have issues with electronic supplier, so I hope to get it soon.
I also waited more that a Month for my EVSE1, because of their supplier problems. They seem to be in a similar situation, where their suppliers didn't thought, that they would ramp up production as they did. I talked to the guys from crOhm, when I picked up my EVSE1 and they told me, that they have a huge amount of orders and are working the backlog as fast as they can.
What kind of cable do you use? Is it a Standard type 2 cable I assume, was wondering how it can be unplugged since it does not have a button as the Tesla plug?
I'm using the Type-2 cable, that I ordered from crOhm with the EVSE1.
No, the due bill doesn't contain the twin chargers in my case. My VIN is 14291

I was going on and on about three phase here and to many people within Tesla even before Wido, I believe. But he really took decisive action by organizing the campaign and sending all those letters to Elon. Seems that was what made them begin to take it seriously. Thanks to all who helped out, and a special, extra large thank you to Wido the Three Phase Guy!

What a happy outcome :biggrin:

Ok, but that doesn't really matter all that much right now - 3p support is what matters. When they get some serious competition they will have to optimize it.

I also waited more that a Month for my EVSE1, because of their supplier problems. They seem to be in a similar situation, where their suppliers didn't thought, that they would ramp up production as they did. I talked to the guys from crOhm, when I picked up my EVSE1 and they told me, that they have a huge amount of orders and are working the backlog as fast as they can.

I'm using the Type-2 cable, that I ordered from crOhm with the EVSE1.

No, the due bill doesn't contain the twin chargers in my case. My VIN is 14291

Are you telling me that you definitely don't have the twin chargers, yet the car is charging at 32 A?!

Last edited:
Are you telling me that you definitely don't have the twin chargers, yet the car is charging at 32 A?!
Don't get your hopes up.

He got the Twin Chargers, so there is nothing due bill. The cars delivered yesterday in Tilburg had the Twin Chargers as well.

3x32A is the maximum for Model S.

Just measured the depth of the EU spec inlet, vs the standard Mennekes plug:

Tesla inlet has 46mm deep holes.
Standard Mennekes plug = 40mm.

Longer pins -> More power!
Nice to know. That is probably for the SC :)

I was going on and on about three phase here and to many people within Tesla even before Wido, I believe. But he really took decisive action by organizing the campaign and sending all those letters to Elon. Seems that was what made them begin to take it seriously. Thanks to all who helped out, and a special, extra large thank you to Wido the Three Phase Guy!

What a happy outcome :biggrin:

Ok, but that doesn't really matter all that much right now - 3p support is what matters. When they get some serious competition they will have to optimize it.

Congrats to you and others as well. Was so long ago couldn't remember who was pushing for what when but definitely was a team effort to point out to Tesla why three phase was important.