Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European road trip in our 5 year old 75D X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But not impossible. I worked for the Norwegian Government for 6 years until recently and the lack of Norwegian language skills was never an issue for me nor colleagues in Oslo. There is significant immigration of workers into Norway from non EU countries.

Thanks for the trip report @gangzoom - keep the pics coming. I spent an amazing week in the Lofoten Islands in June but it was unfortunately in a Suzuki Vitara rental car (although it’s equivalent of TACC seemed better than Tesla’s).
My son is heading to Oslo next month for a two year masters degree course. He’s been trying Duolingo to pick up some Norwegian!

Glad to read that the trip is going well! We're driving to Ålesund on Monday in our '17 MX90D, although we'll be taking the chunnel. We haven't actually figured out where we'll be staying each night on the journey there yet... Here's hoping a combination of Hotels.com and Airbnb work out just-in-time!

Near Piding, Bavaria

IMG_3217.jpg

Glad to read that the trip is going well! We're driving to Ålesund on Monday in our '17 MX90D.

You will love it here! I know you have had issues with your X (haven't we all), but on these transcontinental roads trips where you are spending 6hr+ a day in the car the X really is a lovely place to be.

Be warned though, there WILL be bum fight for the front seats, as that front windscreen was made for the scenery in Norway.

Range/charging literally being a none issue even in our 75D, in a 90D it'll be even more of a none issue :).

I never had any plans to sell our X, but after this trip there is no chance I'm going to party company with this car, forced too. Yes new EVs charge faster, has more range, newer toys, but for us the X has given us so many good memories it's now simply part of the family.

52227706435_edcac559be_k_d.jpg

Oh if you are looking for a lovely AirB&B in Ålesund, depending on how many people you are ferrying and budget, the place we are in now comes highly recommended.

52227538414_9b9e264a66_k_d.jpg

It shouldn’t be a problem for the law abiding citizens on here but I thought it would be worth mentioning that speeding or drink driving are really not appreciated by the police in Norway. Some real horror stories online for some who’ve been caught.

Best to just chill and enjoy the views 😀

Reactions: gangzoom
Did you find much destination charging in Norway (Eg airbnb with 7kw charger, tourist attractions with 22kw). I know they've gone very heavily into EVs

Charging any where in Europe has been a none issue. I haven't used destination charging once! Chargers seem to be everywhere, but none are 'cheap', 30p/kWh for 22KW and rapids (100kW+) go up to 60-70p/kWh.

52228589462_a18215440d_c_d.jpg

I've stuck to only using Tesla SCs as I have 'free for life' charging on the X. So far I've never come close to queueing even though pretty much all the chargers I've used in Europe are open to none Tesla EVs, most of the time >50%, and often >80% of stalls are empty even during weekend lunch times.

We are sadly starting to leave Norway today, still have got a few days in Amsterdam. We'll miss Norway, but everyone in the car are in agreement we need to come back here!!

As for the X, what can I say......there are still people who are worried EVs cannot go up a hill without been left broken down and stranded by the side kf the road. Those people have obviously never been up an mountain pass driving literally into the heavens in an EV :).

Best car I have ever owned by a country mile, I've read some speculation about Tesla potentially pulling X sales in Europe. On paper that makes sense I guess as the Y is nearly as big, but the would be a real shame.

Not many people carriers can make a mundane letting peope out for a toilet break so dramtic, and what's life without drama :).

52230139064_7220beb732_3k_d.jpg

52229661888_fb21b3eabc_k_d.jpg

52228595397_379c41f235_k_d.jpg

At risk of showing my ignorance of the variation of Norway's fjords... Geirangerfjord?

My in-laws are furious that EVs are being pushed in the country at the same time as electricity prices are sky-rocketing, and Norway is exporting record amounts of electricity. The same people that leave the heating, TV and radio on all day, every day, even when everyone is out of the house (true story), and in a country where one is socially obliged to leave pretty little lamps illuminated in every window lest the neighbours phone and complain about the diminished visual amenity (also a true story).

It's wonderful how much of Norway's grid is powered by renewables, and how after profiting from the north sea oil field for years, they're at least leading the charge on electrification.

At risk of showing my ignorance of the variation of Norway's fjords... Geirangerfjord?

Yes Geriangerfjord, looking at Google maps over the last week I averaged 4hrs a day in the car just driving around. Heading to Oslo today, waking up to this view from the AirB&B, normally I would say WOW, right now I'm thinking, 'where are the mountains' :(

52232008970_157749492a_k_d.jpg

Everyone (including our 6 year old) has absolutely fallen in love with the Fjords. I even looked up how to get citizenship!!

I've been lucky enough to travel all over the world and seen some amazing sights, New Zealand, China, US, Switzerland, India, Scotland, Portugal, Italy etc. Norway blows them all out of the water combined.

Best holiday destination ever?? Well it is for us. There are some other places we want to tick off the list, like the Andes but in Europe, am not sure I personally want to visit anywhere else now :)

Anyways got a few days of boring Autobahn/Mway driving to get through before we hit Amsterdam for another quick break before coming back to the flat lands of England.......the 75D X has been utterly amazing, even with 6 peoples + luggage on board everyone is feeling chilled and relaxed.

Need to plan our 2023 summer road trip soon around Italian northen lakes (sorry Germany food is just too dull).....How do we work Norway into it? :)

52231798319_f1846428c5_k_d.jpg

52227350424_af734e374b_5k_d.jpg

Back in Germany now, and will be in Amsterdam tomorrow. What trip, anyone remotely interested in cars and roads NEEDS to visit Norway and tour the Fjords.

Everyone is now in agreement next summer we need to visit Switzerland/lakes of north Itay to compare and contrast, which is more dramatic......It's a hard life planning pan European tours :).

52236701465_e6608b5f4c_k_d.jpg

52236491384_13c800e8b4_3k_d.jpg

52236471629_dded7f068c_k_d.jpg

52229591253_eaba7e5575_k_d.jpg

Reactions: Filbert1884
Not long to go before been back home, but I've just realised we were in Oslo last Friday, Copenhagen Saturday, and Amsterdam yesterday.......3 European capital cities in 3 days.

I've been astounded by how easy transcontinental European travel in one of the slowest charging, smallest range cars Tesla have ever sold, and this is in the context of ensuring the whole family is comfy, not just me doing a mad max driving mode :).

I should appreciate the culture and buzz of these great cities, but Oslo was so dull I didn't even bother to take any pictures this time, Copenhagen had some funky sock shops near the little mermaide which really is one of the most underwhelming tourist attractions I've seen in a long time (still not as disappointing as the famous 'central park').

52236495309_53ccb62683_c_d.jpg

Amsterdam canals are OK, but the pedal bike park at Central Station impressed me more, but again, couldn't bring my self to go all 'arty' with the shots......the moutains in Trollstigen are simply still too vivid in the memory.

Maybe today I can get more excited about man made stuff versus the majesty of nature...

52239332498_17ef4fdca1_k_d.jpg

Not long to go before been back home, but I've just realised we were in Oslo last Friday, Copenhagen Saturday, and Amsterdam yesterday.......3 European capital cities in 3 days.

I've been astounded by how easy transcontinental European travel in one of the slowest charging, smallest range cars Tesla have ever sold, and this is in the context of ensuring the whole family is comfy, not just me doing a mad max driving mode :).

I should appreciate the culture and buzz of these great cities, but Oslo was so dull I didn't even bother to take any pictures this time, Copenhagen had some funky sock shops near the little mermaide which really is one of the most underwhelming tourist attractions I've seen in a long time (still not as disappointing as the famous 'central park').

52236495309_53ccb62683_c_d.jpg

Amsterdam canals are OK, but the pedal bike park at Central Station impressed me more, but again, couldn't bring my self to go all 'arty' with the shots......the moutains in Trollstigen are simply still too vivid in the memory.

Maybe today I can get more excited about man made stuff versus the majesty of nature...

52239332498_17ef4fdca1_k_d.jpg
Stunning photos ... almost like a pro until I spotted those poor kayakers trying to paddle uphill! ;)

Reactions: gangzoom
Well Amsterdam has redeemed some points for 'just' city breaks, with art and culture, well digital art and culture anyways:)

Will be back at work by Friday, and spending this weekend in the office. I've lost count of the stuff we have done on this road trip.

52241201043_7e030302b9_k_d.jpg

All I can say is forget all the nitpicking that goes on with any of these cars. Tesla make great cars that let's you enjoy the amazing world we live. Life is short, time waits for no one, go and hit the road :).

Next summer it's Lake Camo via the Swiss Alps, though going back to Norwegian Fjords is very very tempting!!

52236701075_84d30a3064_k_d.jpg

Last edited:
Well its done, 2800 miles, nearly 1MWh of energy sucked up at Tesla SC, countless memories.

52247364535_27665eea31_c_d.jpg

52246320375_ca73d2dbb9_c_d.jpg

For anyone thinking of doing the same, just go for it, these car were made for road trips. Route for next year is already starting to be penciled in, will book the ferries this weekend I recon, but will it be as good as Norway?? I guess I'll just have to wait 12 months to find out 😍.

52245684438_dd1e45d82e_c_d.jpg

However I reckon that parts of Scotland could give Norway a run for its money. These piccies we’re taken just 8 miles from our house:

Parts of Scotland is amazing, but Norway however just goes on and on. In one day we had 8hrs of traveling in total, and the scenery just keep on getting better and better. I've never been any where like Norway, every where was just mountains, waterfalls, and lakes.

52247502405_95860f6c6f_c_d.jpg

52228593902_85dd3547fc_c_d.jpg

52227361839_c91d82e29d_c_d.jpg

Reactions: Doudeau