Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV and Battery Credits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brother works as a contractor for Exelon (10 million customers and the largest US utility). On their all hands they just announced an EV rebate plan for employees. $1500 for new EVs and $500 for used.

I always gave my electric utility clients a hard time when I didn't see parking lots full of EVs. Looks like they are starting to figure this out.
What happens when the total fed/state/county/employer credits exceeds the vehicle price?

Critical mineral NA sourcing requirement bumps up 10% to 50%
Component NA sourcing requirement bumps up 10% to 60%
Like more impactful, the excluded entity clause kicks in on components in 2024 (minerals kicks in 2025)
(B) any vehicle placed in service after December 31, 2023, with respect to which any of the components contained in the battery of such vehicle (as described in subsection (e)(2)(A)) were manufactured or assembled by a foreign entity of concern (as so defined).’’
‘(e)...(2) BATTERY COMPONENTS.— ‘‘(A) IN GENERAL.—The requirement described in this subparagraph with respect to a vehicle is that, with respect to the battery from which the electric motor of such vehicle draws electricity, the percentage of the value of the components contained in such battery that were manufactured or assembled in North America is equal to or greater than the applicable percentage (as certified by the qualified manufacturer, in such form or manner as prescribed by the Secretary).

Reactions: bkp_duke
I think I’m in agreement with elektric here, i don’t see exactly how the purchaser is able to qualify for the low income based local utility tax rebates and CVRP rebates, AND have a federal tax liability to take advantage of the $7500 credit. Maybe they think it is already a REBATE and not a CREDIT, but i don’t think that happens till next year?

It's not a rebate/ refundable credit next year either. The point of sale credit can be clawed back at tax time if the purchaser no longer qualifies or has less than $7,500 in total liability for the year.

Reactions: GSP and bkp_duke
GS probably did some napkin math on how much Tesla is getting and was like...holy s<&t!

It all depends on who wins control of the government in 2024. If Democrats do well, Tesla gets to start raking insane IRA cash as production ramps up. If Republicans win, the IRA gets gutted and money starts flowing to fossil fuels.

[Mods: Sorry if my post is too political. But the 2024 elections will have a huge impact on Tesla's future.

Last edited: