Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV and Battery Credits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you are confusing is how pricing and demand works.

Listen up, I'll only explain this once.

You make it appear the only reason Tesla drops vehicle pricing is since at current pricing there is no (or not enough) demand. This is not accurate. Demand for vehicles comes and goes in waves (aka demand bubbles and pockets), geographically and chronologically. Q1 has the lowest demand, but Q4 generally has higher demand. (generally, this isn't set in stone)

Geographically / chronologically demand can also swing with incentives starting, running out or being announced. Think IRA, think incentives that are different per country.

Economic factors (per country/region) also play a big role. Lots of wildfires in California? -> less demand that time. Unstable government or energy crisis? -> possibly less demand.

The list goes on and on.
But you know: over time there is still plenty of demand for all vehicles Tesla produces.

However, if Tesla has to sit around keeping inventory until their production gets sold out at higher pricing, this has financial downsides:
- time between production and delivery should be as short as possible, this way Tesla can receive money from the customer before paying suppliers;
- higher inventory has a cost associated with it, to keep these cars in stock/neat/charged/not degrading/etc

I think we can agree holding on to built cars carries a cost and risk.

Imagine Tesla has a smart team looking at the numbers and comparing the costs associated with holding on to inventory longer on the one end to dropping prices and increasing immediate demand (I should say: increasing demand even more) so the cars get delivered quicker on the other hand. Nobody disagrees that lowering prices creates more demand, but they do disagree with you that Tesla MUST drop prices or else they cannot sell all their production.

The current inflation/recession fears have created less demand than usual, that may be true. But the second the FED starts cutting rates and the market turns around, their will be more demand. It swings in roundabouts.

By lowering prices and shortening the amount of time between production and delivery, Tesla is:
- decreasing costs of holding on to inventory;
- sticking it to the competition that cannot profitably make BEV's;
- increasing the demand for their vehicles to a much higher degree than their increased production, increasing brand awareness;
- passing on cost savings (due to lower COGS) to the customer;
- receiving a lot of market data regarding demand in different regions and regarding certain models. All this data is considered when making price adjustments (per model, per region, at certain times).

So please don't act like Tesla is worried and dropping prices in the hope to be able to sell their vehicles. They're doing so because the profits are similar but they get a lot smoother delivery process going on, without having to deal with the wave and a lot of "bumps in the road" (demand pockets/bubbles). Clever pricing smooths out a lot of these issues at nearly no cost.

Many are also not considering that since Berlin is ramping, the Berlin models for example can be sold at lower prices in Europe with the same profit, since the transport/import costs from Shanghai to EU are massive compared to production of the same model (Y currently) in the EU. Within 48 hours of rolling of the line the Berlin car can be anywhere in the EU. Shanghai takes weeks and at much higher cost.

TL;DR: stop with the doom and gloom. There is no demand issue. Tesla is just optimizing pricing vs delivery waves/demand per region in a clever way.

And IF somehow Tesla is forced to drop pricing due to not enough demand, this is temporary due to macro-economic issues and the same goes for all other automakers too. This cannot be held against Tesla compared to its competitors.

I said I'll I have to say on this. Now please don't repeat your arguments without backing it up with facts, not speculation.

Wait. Why would Tesla hamper their ability to sell more cars? If anything, Tesla would probably drop the Model 3 RWD base price.

Anyway, there are tons of these cars in inventory in Greater LA at the moment - I counted 56. Let's see if this notice moves inventory in the next day.

I've just checked the Model 3 RWD inventory in Greater LA. The count is now standing at 40. Despite the price cut, inventory hasn't moved much in the last 2-3 weeks. Tesla will need to do something else to stoke interest in this model, now that half of the credit is gone.

Even if ordered from existing inventory today, the Model 3 RWD no longer qualifies for the full $7.5k credit

1681838942756.png

California has EV rebate up to $7.5k for very low income individual/family. I was able to convinced my in-laws to get a Y by showing them CA + Fed rebate of 15k.

Model Y standard 48k - 15k rebate = 33k for a freaking Y!
Model 3 now qualify 7.5 Fed rebate + low income CA rebate 7.5 = 15k.
$40-15 = $25k for a Model 3!!!!!!!

They were gonna get a $30k Corolla lolololol

Acutally, the $7.5k fed tax credit is eligible on inventory vehicles too, so base model 3's are currently being offered for $37,830. $15k off of THAT is only $22,830. That is an absolutely insane value.

Ladies and Gents, (yes, Cats and Dogs too, @Krugerrand and @Unpilot) I think now is a perfect opportunity to spread the message of just how cheap Teslas have become, especially if you know anyone that lives in California and/or any other state with significant EV incentives!

View attachment 943457

Here's a take I hadn't heard before on how Tesla is getting $7500 to apply on the entire Model 3 line.

Bruuuuuuuuuh. $50K income owes nowhere near $7500 in federal taxes. Did every single one of these Twitter "influencers" fail basic math class? Are they also completely oblivious to the standard deduction of $13,850/27,700/20,800? Do they also just assume a person making $50K makes exactly zero 401K contributions?

Reactions: mongo