Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Car/My Tesla - An Alexa skill for Amazon Echo / Tesla integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gol4, this looks like an fine implementation of an Alexa Skill. I've been using the Nicola skill that was put together by another member of this forum https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/nikola-an-amazon-echo-skill-for-your-tesla.83451 and have customized the published code on Github to suit my own preferences. Please let us know when you plan on publishing your code on Github. Also, if you don't mind, what programming language is the skill written in?

Gol4, this looks like an fine implementation of an Alexa Skill. I've been using the Nicola skill that was put together by another member of this forum https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/nikola-an-amazon-echo-skill-for-your-tesla.83451 and have customized the published code on Github to suit my own preferences. Please let us know when you plan on publishing your code on Github. Also, if you don't mind, what programming language is the skill written in?

I am familiar with Nikola. The difference here is that it is does not require setting up any server / code. You just enable the skill in Alexa and go. No technical skills required.

The backend is written in Python. I probably will release it on Github once I get to cleaning up and sanitizing the code.

I am familiar with Nikola. The difference here is that it is does not require setting up any server / code. You just enable the skill in Alexa and go. No technical skills required.

I agree that setting up the Cloud9 server (or ngrok alternative) for Nikola can be a pain and not easy for folks without the right technical skills. A native AWS Lambda skill that sits in the cloud is definitely the way to go. Thanks for your work on this. I look forward to seeing the code on Github.

In general this skill is working (THANK YOU!) but for some reason I cannot get Alexa to properly hear the word, "honk". Instead Alexa hears "home" every time. I didn't think I had an accent and I've tried to emphasize the 'k' but no luck so far. Would you please consider adding the phrase "honk the horn" which as a complete phrase might help Alexa figure out what I'm trying to say?

I think adding the Echo Dot to my car was one the best and easiest of many mods I've made. I can now, hands free, using only my voice, play any music I want from a collection that's nearly infinite. Using the AT&T skill I can send text messages to as many as 10 friends and associates, again hands free. And with the Echo Dot in my home I can send all kinds of commands to the car using the various Tesla skills. One thing I do on a regular basis is preheat the cabin to 69 degrees on cold days, again hands free and only a voice command.

Reactions: davidc18 and Gol4
In general this skill is working (THANK YOU!) but for some reason I cannot get Alexa to properly hear the word, "honk". Instead Alexa hears "home" every time. I didn't think I had an accent and I've tried to emphasize the 'k' but no luck so far. Would you please consider adding the phrase "honk the horn" which as a complete phrase might help Alexa figure out what I'm trying to say?

Yes, I have noticed that too. Will try out your suggestion and include it in the next release. Thanks.

What's really frustrating is that this is not available on Alexa in the U.K.

I wonder why Amazon segregate skills by country/region?

Not sure if you are a member of the Tesla Owners Group UK on Facebook, but one of the members has got this up and running and all you need to do is copy the invocations etc pointing to his hosted domain and then enable the skill. My 9 year old did it for me and she has never done coding. This also allows you to "ask" whatever name you want to call the car.

While configuring the skill I specifically selected the option for "available in all countries". I'm not sure why it wouldn't be available in the U.K. I'll open a case with the Alexa team to find out.

Apparently I need to add another "language" for English (UK). Seems like a pointless overhead since all the parameters are the same. In any case I have added that and submitted it for certification. It should be available in the UK within the next couple of days.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I can't find it under the skills section. I searched for EV Car

It has indeed disappeared from the Amazon Skills page. Seems like a mess up by Amazon. I had submitted a new version which included the English (UK) support. I can only guess that this is due to transition to the new version. I have opened a case and will you updated.

Folks who have already enabled the skill, it continues to work as before.

Another ask for 'Tesla' instead of 'ev car'. Or just make both work?

OK. This seems like a popular theme :) Amazon has restrictions for what a name can be and it cannot be dynamic. Most skill names need to be at least two words too. I have created a fork of the existing skill and the new one will potentially be called "My Tesla". The skill is in certification process right now (which is very painful). Hopefully it gets approved this time.

If this does go through, the plan is that in the short term both "EV Car" and "My Tesla" will have identical functionality. Going forward, support for other connected cars could be added to "EV Car" while "My Tesla" could remain specific to Tesla vehicles.