Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Car/My Tesla - An Alexa skill for Amazon Echo / Tesla integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This app isn’t working for me any longer. When I ask “Alexa, ask my car to start the climate system,” she responds “Would you like me to launch the MyTesla app?” When you respond “yes,” she then asks “How can I help you?” You can then re-ask your original request. What was a single request is now a 3-step process that takes much longer.

Also, Alexa has been getting confused with this app intermittently. Sometimes when making a request, Alexa will respond with “Would you like me to open MyABC app?” or she will do a web search for Nikola Tesla. So strange and definitely abnormal behavior for this app.

I have been using (and loving this app) for a couple years. It has worked fine up until the past few weeks. I’m not sure if this is an app issue or an Amazon issue, but hope somehow it can get resolved quickly.

Thank you in advance.

You didn't PM Gol4 directly, so I guess you are asking anyone for suggestions. Have you unlinked the EV Car skill from your Amazon/Alexa account and added it back? Sometimes a tweak on the skill disrupts the services.

By the way, its not an app. Its an Alexa skill. If you don't hear something back posted by Gol4 soon enough to suit you, you can open Amazon and drill down to Alexa skill support and open a ticket with them. They will pursue the issue as far as they can until its a developer issue.

You didn't PM Gol4 directly, so I guess you are asking anyone for suggestions. Have you unlinked the EV Car skill from your Amazon/Alexa account and added it back? Sometimes a tweak on the skill disrupts the services.

By the way, its not an app. Its an Alexa skill. If you don't hear something back posted by Gol4 soon enough to suit you, you can open Amazon and drill down to Alexa skill support and open a ticket with them. They will pursue the issue as far as they can until its a developer issue.
Thank you. Yes. I’ve unlinked and re-linked to no avail. I have opened a support ticket with Amazon, but wanted to post here in case others were experiencing the same issue. Will DM Gol4 now.

I just tried on a couple of my Alexa devices and it works as expected. Invoking the skill in under Amazon control so nothing we can do from the Skill/Developer end. I suspect that there might be another skill that you have enabled that uses a similar invocation name. Alexa is then not sure which one to use. You could try disabling any skill that you have recently added. Another option would be to use the EV Car skill which is identical other that the invocation name ("e.v. car" instead of "my car"). Opening a support ticket Amazon is also worth pursuing.

Reactions: Akikiki
A new version of this app has been deployed. It supports Window Venting, Charge Port Control and Homelink Control.

New commands:
vent windows
close windows
open charge port
close charge port
trigger homelink
activate homelink
First thanks for the skill! Just activated it for my car, and read this entire thread, all 14 pages.

I'm wondering, does the above mean Amazon's loosened its restrictions about things like unlocking and opening? Because of all the things I wish this could do, "open the frunk" is #1 -- while I'm in my garage with my hands full, being able to have the frunk unlock without pulling out my phone would be huge. This has proved surprisingly hard to do. Phone apps and shortcuts never seem to be able to do it without me unlocking the phone, which, if my hands are full, that's already impossible.

If they haven't changed their policy, I saw on an earlier post that there's a PIN-based approach they do support. I for one would like to voice my support for that. (Get it, voice my support? Thank you, tip your waitresses, they work hard.) Because standing in my garage with my hands full of stuff that should go into the frunk or trunk, and being able to say to my garage-mounted Alexa Dot, "open the frunk", then answering with a PIN, would still work hands-free.

First thanks for the skill! Just activated it for my car, and read this entire thread, all 14 pages.

I'm wondering, does the above mean Amazon's loosened its restrictions about things like unlocking and opening? Because of all the things I wish this could do, "open the frunk" is #1 -- while I'm in my garage with my hands full, being able to have the frunk unlock without pulling out my phone would be huge. This has proved surprisingly hard to do. Phone apps and shortcuts never seem to be able to do it without me unlocking the phone, which, if my hands are full, that's already impossible.

If they haven't changed their policy, I saw on an earlier post that there's a PIN-based approach they do support. I for one would like to voice my support for that. (Get it, voice my support? Thank you, tip your waitresses, they work hard.) Because standing in my garage with my hands full of stuff that should go into the frunk or trunk, and being able to say to my garage-mounted Alexa Dot, "open the frunk", then answering with a PIN, would still work hands-free.

Welcome to the forums. You can in-fact open the trunk without the car being unlocked. "Ask E.V. Car to open trunk" should do the trick for you. The car technically still remains locked :)
The amazon restriction is still in place for unlocking without a PIN. I will get around to adding support for that some day. Opening / Closing trunk still works though. You can also say "open front trunk". Alexa is not good at recognizing the word "frunk".

Is there any way to use the skill with a routine? I want to use an Alexa routine to turn on climate at set times before we head out to do school drop off and pickup on weekdays. In the alexa app I only have the option to have the skill open at a time and ask me what I want to do (so if have to be near an echo at that time).

Alternatively does anyone know a way to do it on a schedule using any other app (IFTTT?). I've tried scheduled departure however it messes with my charging on the weekend (use a 110v).