Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Generate access token

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or you could use one of the existing ones, like the one linked to Tesla-Screen.
Generate a Tesla API Token

I looked at that and it requires you to enter your login email/password on a strage 3rd party website. I can look at the code and see that it's submitting it directly to Tesla, but most people don't know to do that. It could be logging their credentials for all they know. I thought the Shortcut would be more transparent to the user that the info was only being sent to Tesla.

Also several other ways in this thread:

Tesla API Token Generator

The python script in that thread is hardly user friendly. Unless you're running Linux you'd have to install python on your PC just to run it.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
There are many other, simpler/easier methods available in that thread.

Perhaps but most of the "easy" methods require you to trust a 3rd party app or website. If you're going to enter your credentials into some random app or website you might as well just enter them into the app/website you're actually using the token for.

I see you're the author of one of those tools. I wasn't trying to step on your toes. I actually only wrote this because I'm working on a set of Siri Shortcuts to control the actual functions of the car and this was my first test script to test the auth functionality. I posted it here because I thought it might be useful to someone. If you don't like it, don't use it.

No toes stepped on, it's fine.

But just to be honest, I tried the shortcut, and it's not at all obvious that it's not an app that couldn't capture the credentials and that it only connects to Tesla's own URL. It didn't even appear to work when I tried it. There are no status messages or errors or even how to use it.

p.s. You know me from TCF. ;)

No toes stepped on, it's fine.

But just to be honest, I tried the shortcut, and it's not at all obvious that it's not an app that couldn't capture the credentials and that it only connects to Tesla's own URL. It didn't even appear to work when I tried it. There are no status messages or errors or even how to use it.

p.s. You know me from TCF. ;)

Should have known from the license plate. :)

I just tried it and it appears the tesla URL is timing out for some reason. Maybe related to the maintenance they were doing earlier on the site. I know it worked fine when I tested it earlier.

Last edited:
This solution is unfortunately completely broken. Why not generate an accesstoken by redirecting to a trusted source like google ?
I really like my Tesla-car, but giving my password to my account to an external party will never happen.

Sorry to resurrect this thread again, but is there a new “safe” solution that exists today? I just received my new Tesla and I do not want to provide my credentials to 3rd party.
You can find or create a set of Postman calls to perform all the steps. That’s one of the best options to know a third party app isn’t capturing your credentials.

But it helps to truly understand how tokens and refresh tokens work to assess the risk.