Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Car/My Tesla - An Alexa skill for Amazon Echo / Tesla integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't seem to relink my car from EV Car anymore to smartphone. Have a brand new Pixel 3, and when I click the "Link" button from Google Assistant EV page, my screen just goes dark (50% grey) and seems to hang. Wait several minutes and have to hit back/previous to eventually get out of it.. nothing seems to happen.

Had EV car working on my previous phone (Samsung S7) prior to that. Have tried now several times over the past week, same result. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Did you get this to work. Just tried relinking on a S8 and it seems to work fine.

Since it only works with Teslas, please consider changing EV to Tesla. Better yet, it would be kool to replace it with our vehicle's name, i.e. "John's MS". Anyone using this app must be prepared to hear friends/family call us a "SHOW-OFF"
Using dynamic names for invocation is not possible. I actually have two identical skills on Alexa store. You could use this one that use "my car" as the invocation name. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9Y4I1E

First off, thanks for all the work on this great app!

One suggestion for the MCU2 owners among us who have difficulty getting our car to wake up quickly enough and lack the Always Connected option. Could you add an "Ask my car to wake up" command so we can just send a wake command without having an error initially anytime we interact with the car?

I could add this but how would this be different from trying any other command? Every command currently tries to wake the car.
I'm also just testing a tweaked version of the backend that takes care of a few more timeout scenarios and associated retries.

• Love
Reactions: Deslah
I could add this but how would this be different from trying any other command? Every command currently tries to wake the car.
I'm also just testing a tweaked version of the backend that takes care of a few more timeout scenarios and associated retries.

It's mainly for the non-technical family members among us (at least for me). It's a lot easier to tell the wife the car needs to be woken up first (like most computers) than to tell her "Send the command you want but you'll get an error the first time. Don't worry, that error isn't a failure exactly but it is required to wake it up. After the first error, wait 30 seconds and then ask it the same thing again."

There's also some selfish reasons in that it's a lot cooler with an audience LOL. Timeout errors don't exactly impress people with what a marvel Tesla has built, it starts them down the path of thinking about what other computer like problems it might have that they don't trust in a car.

It's mainly for the non-technical family members among us (at least for me). It's a lot easier to tell the wife the car needs to be woken up first (like most computers) than to tell her "Send the command you want but you'll get an error the first time. Don't worry, that error isn't a failure exactly but it is required to wake it up. After the first error, wait 30 seconds and then ask it the same thing again."

There's also some selfish reasons in that it's a lot cooler with an audience LOL. Timeout errors don't exactly impress people with what a marvel Tesla has built, it starts them down the path of thinking about what other computer like problems it might have that they don't trust in a car.
Makes sense. I'll put this in in the next version. Since this requires a voice model change it will have to go through the testing/certification cycle. I am working on a couple of other changes. Hopefully they'll all be in by next week.

• Love
Reactions: Chedawg
Any feedback on how this is working with OK Google on Android and setting up routines. Would love to use this to create a routine for opening the trunk or frunk.

Can this be done as it seems easier than taking out the phone, unlokcing, opening the Tesla app, navigating to the trunk buttons and opening that way.

Any feedback on how this is working with OK Google on Android and setting up routines. Would love to use this to create a routine for opening the trunk or frunk.

Can this be done as it seems easier than taking out the phone, unlokcing, opening the Tesla app, navigating to the trunk buttons and opening that way.

Works fine with routines for me. Every once in a while do have to relink b/c the tokens expired.

Reactions: sgreenstonenj
I've send it to my devices on the page, and I've linked it but when I say "Ask EV Car" it always recognizes the text as "Ask IV Car" which..... does not work.

Practice your accent more, what does it come back as if you say “IV” car? ... or maybe this fork mentioned early in the thread is available and you can use that skill instead and say “My Tesla”? ...

OK. This seems like a popular theme :) Amazon has restrictions for what a name can be and it cannot be dynamic. Most skill names need to be at least two words too. I have created a fork of the existing skill and the new one will potentially be called "My Tesla". The skill is in certification process right now (which is very painful). Hopefully it gets approved this time.

If this does go through, the plan is that in the short term both "EV Car" and "My Tesla" will have identical functionality. Going forward, support for other connected cars could be added to "EV Car" while "My Tesla" could remain specific to Tesla vehicles.

I've send it to my devices on the page, and I've linked it but when I say "Ask EV Car" it always recognizes the text as "Ask IV Car" which..... does not work.

What is the exact response when you say something like "ask EV car for battery status" ?

Alternately, as darth_vad3r mentioned, you can use the "My Tesla" skill which is currently identical to "EV Car". The voice invocation for that is "ask my car ..."

I've got EV car on my android 8.0 phone, but cannot figure out how to put in a new token after it's expired. Suggestions?

edit: It's awkward... but if you go to google assistant and search for "link ev car", it will pop up as one of the results. Does anyone have a better way?

An excellent addition to the car, thank you for the hard work on it.

Last edited:
This is a better way for me to use "Hey Google"....

So do you have a repository of commands, I read from post 1 to here, adding all I could find posted, to a Word document.

Thanks for taking the time to make a really good app.