Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ev charging station for block of flats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am wondering if someone has experience in installing an ev charging station for designated parking spot in block of flats? I have received commercial quote from one of the ev charger suppliers quoting £10k+ for installation and ev charging software for communal use.

Can be tricky to get these installed in communal areas. I live in a block of flats too.

As you said there's the cost. Depending on the location within the flats it can be a lot. In my block for example there's a massive underground car park. No power sockets at all, the only power that's down there is for the lighting and CCTV. So i'd imagine it would cost a lot to put an EV charger down there. But i've not checked this yet, so perhaps it could be installed for a reasonable cost.

Also within that cost you have to remember who's paying for it - essentially the cost is passed to the residents through the service fee. A lot of residents would resist to this cost as they don't benefit from it if they don't have an EV. In my block of several hundred flats i'm (going to be) the only EV driver. Never seen another EV in the car park at all. So unlikely i'd be able to get a charge station installed at home.

Although I think the installed can reclaim some cost from the government. My office manager said they could reclaim 75% of the cost of the install. They still didn't want to pay for it as it would only be for one EV (mine) as no one else has one.

What EV charger supplier gave you that £10k quote? If you got a cost for communal use it may be a lot higher than if you tried to get your own personal point installed that's just for your use.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am wondering if someone has experience in installing an ev charging station for designated parking spot in block of flats? I have received commercial quote from one of the ev charger suppliers quoting £10k+ for installation and ev charging software for communal use.

Try Andrew Parker of Earth Electrical. It would however need to be a Rolec and not sure how far into London he will go. Certainly covers Weybridge and apartments with allocated underground parking bays for ad hoc installs.

EV CHARGE POINT INSTALLATION

Last edited:
Hi all,

Well the cost to setup the cabling for multiple vehicles or 1 vehicle is probably similar.

I read a pod point paper on this which was quite useful, you would need the management company on board but it definitely would add value to the apartments long term.

It’s a free download
Residential EV Charging | Pod Point