Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV.Energy app may stop your home charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is an older threat but I thought I'd share my very similar experience.
- Car suddenly stopped charging at home. No matter what time of day, it would shut down after a few minutes.
- Tested other mobile chargers -- only at my "home" though -- and they also would not charge. Car charged fine at SuperCharger/DC chargers.
- Contacted Tesla support, and they suggested either an issue with mobile connector (which it wasn't) or an issue with the charge port pins (not sure why this would apply only to an AC charger). I also posted on TMC; they mostly said it was onboard charger issue.
- One guy suggested reinstalling software. Before doing so, I decided to delete/reinstall Tesla app from all phones (three) and change password.

- Voila, this fixed it -- I assume it was the password change.

I had totally forgotten but at some point (maybe 1-2 years ago) I had installed an MCE EV charge app. I think it was just in beta but it would charge the car at "clean energy" times. The beta only lasted a couple of months as far as I'm aware. I then deleted the app and never thought about it again. I don't know for sure but I assume at some point recently for whatever reason that app began shutting down my charging whenever I tried to charge home.

Anyway, lesson learned about 3rd party apps. Fortunately I didn't really waste Tesla support's time with this (just a lot of trial and error on my side, borrowing mobile chargers, trying different Teslas, etc.).

you would think Tesla Support should know this and maybe ask us to change password to even check 3rd party app. but anyways, wasn't happy going thur it, but now i feel good. Also not every suggestion is useful on the internet, it's all matter of you doing a lot of research as well..

you would think Tesla Support should know this and maybe ask us to change password to even check 3rd party app
Teslas official position is that no one should be using any third party apps. Asking a Tesla owner having issues like this "Do you have any third party apps?" is like a front line help desk tech asking a person who calls in for support " Have you turned it off and on again (rebooted)"?

Even though there is a reason for asking that question (because it works), sometimes people straight up lie and say "Of course I rebooted my computer" when they didnt, or act like someone insulted their intelligence by suggesting it. Same deal here. You tell people "do you have any third party apps?" and many bristle and say "No, I dont!" forgetting that they tried one 2 weeks into their car ownership, and "uninstalled" it, 6 months ago or something.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Teslas official position is that no one should be using any third party apps. Asking a Tesla owner having issues like this "Do you have any third party apps?" is like a front line help desk tech asking a person who calls in for support " Have you turned it off and on again (rebooted)"?

Even though there is a reason for asking that question (because it works), sometimes people straight up lie and say "Of course I rebooted my computer" when they didnt, or act like someone insulted their intelligence by suggesting it. Same deal here. You tell people "do you have any third party apps?" and many bristle and say "No, I dont!" forgetting that they tried one 2 weeks into their car ownership, and "uninstalled" it, 6 months ago or something.
If Tesla didn't approve of third party apps, they wouldn't have the whole login token system, or publish an API.

The main takeaway here is that when something goes wrong, be suspicious of apps. The OP did everyone a solid by relating their troubles, and had to take a lot of flak for it.

Last edited:
You overstate. If Tesla didn't approve of third party apps, they wouldn't have the whole login token system, or publish an API.

I dont feel I do, actually. The API is "unofficial" and Teslas warranty specifically calls out exclusions for interaction with third party apps.

Tesla warranty.png

Reactions: outdoors