Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Offer Power Frunk Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed model y power frunk from EV Offer. The motor isn’t working, ECU lights came on flashing red but it later went away. I can’t close the trunk because latch doesn’t open. No response from them on Telegram. Anyone have any ideas?

Ideas?

Remove the silly thing.

Great idea (who wouldn’t love a powered frunk?) but NONE of these add-on kits are reliable. I’ve seen folks who’ve had to spend upwards of $1k to repair the damage they cause.

I‘m not a fan of these things. At all.

Reactions: Kvracing
Did you hold down the ecu button on their module until it beeped? I haven't edited my install video yet, evoffer sometimes took a few days to respond but they always did eventually.

I think part of the calibration process activates the latch so it can be closed. You should be able to move the latch manually to open the latch and allow for frunk closure as well

Depending where in NJ you are I might be able to help in person, I'm right across the barry bridge, exit 2 off the turnpike

What damage did they cause? Which car, SXEY? Who installed it?

You can search the forums here for the many threads about it. As I recall, it was several 3’s that had issues needing the bumper cover removed and frunk disassembled to repair the latch.

Enough of a warning for me to stay away.

Sorry for slow response @HP Man, I’m on a family vacation right now.

Hmmm. Two separate posts asking for details and no response. I'm curious about these problems now...
Here’s a few quick links to get started…. Keep scouring the forum here and you’ll find plenty more. Sorry as I said I’m on a trip and have very slow internet.

You can search the forums here for the many threads about it. As I recall, it was several 3’s that had issues needing the bumper cover removed and frunk disassembled to repair the latch.

Enough of a warning for me to stay away.

Sorry for slow response @HP Man, I’m on a family vacation right now.

They were self installs. They put the motor and control unit where moisture got to it.
I knew not to do that when I installed mine.

If Tesla's frunk mechanism stops working, the tech would have to access the frunk the same way they do with the aftermarket system.

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 8.49.25 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 10.14.45 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I ordered my Tesla Offer frunk for my 22MYP in May of 2022. It worked great for about 6 months and then the cable broke. Yes, the Telegram replies are delayed/slow, you have to stay on them but they do finally reply and take care of you. They sent me a new motor with cable attached and suggested an updated mounting location (front corner on driver's side). 3 months later, the new cable snapped again. I asked Tesla Offer to just send me a replacement cable (several actually) since I am now an expert at fixing this frunk opener and I fully suspect it will happen again (unless that firmware update they emailed to all customers on March 19th corrects this problem). I have now been waiting for the replacement cable(s) for nearly one month. They are making their slow progress through a freight forwarder from Hong Kong...I'm wondering if their motor is pulling too hard or they are using a cable that is not strong enough? This is starting to get old...

This is where EVOffer recommends mounting the latch motor now...There is still a lot of slack in the cable line that attaches to the main latch (it needs to be stuffed/looped in front of the front bumper area. I would think it would be better if this cable was shorter and had a straight shot to the latch. The problem I have had twice now is the cable has snapped about 8 inches from the EV Offer motor. I'm wondering if EV Offer's latest firmware prevents their motor from over-tightening? I got EV Offer to send me a couple of replacement cables (they have already sent a replacement motor with cable attached during the first breakage). The darn cables took over a month to ship from China. EV Offer really needs to stock these parts with their stateside employee Warren in Portland...
Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 10.52.48 AM.png

This is where EVOffer recommends mounting the latch motor now...There is still a lot of slack in the cable line that attaches to the main latch (it needs to be stuffed/looped in front of the front bumper area. I would think it would be better if this cable was shorter and had a straight shot to the latch. The problem I have had twice now is the cable has snapped about 8 inches from the EV Offer motor. I'm wondering if EV Offer's latest firmware prevents their motor from over-tightening? I got EV Offer to send me a couple of replacement cables (they have already sent a replacement motor with cable attached during the first breakage). The darn cables took over a month to ship from China. EV Offer really needs to stock these parts with their stateside employee Warren in Portland...View attachment 955280

Which Tesla is that?