Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 to a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon, everyone.

I ended up trading Ruby the EV6 for a Model Y last night. My 5 months with the EV6 was fantastic, and the mechanical bits were every bit as awesome as I hoped going in. Ultimately, it was the lousy CCS charging experience combined with software that seemed like an afterthought that drove me to making the switch. For anyone interested, here are a few thoughts I have between the two.

IMG_8333.jpegIMG_7391.jpegIMG_8163.jpeg

Driving

The driving experience between the two is very different. The aggressive looks of the EV6 belie its fantastic road manners and refinement. I think my EV6 was the quietest and best-riding car I've ever had, and was MUCH better than the Model 3 that I had for two years previously. Everything was tight, there were no unusual noises, and it was a joy on the highway. In comparison, the Y has a choppier ride, a bit more noise, and a strange booming resonance when I go over bumps at higher speed. It's not enough to be intrusive and much better than my '19 Model 3 was, but not to the level of the EV6.

Compared to the athletic EV6, I think the Model Y looks like a bloated fish. But the handling is the polar opposite with the aggressive steering ratio and smaller wheel. Despite its much larger size, the Model Y is 330 lbs lighter, and you can feel it. My AWD EV6 had the slick front axle disconnect that improved high-speed efficiency, but it came at the expense of a noticeable lag as the motor spun up deliver the power that my right foot was requesting. The Y is locked in at all times, and power comes on like a hammer. The standard Y calibration has a throttle tip-in that's somewhere between normal and Sport Mode on the EV6.

For overall performance, they're extremely close. I've seen drag races where the EV6 was right next to the Model Y up to about 60 MPH, and that's about my experience. The RWD EV6 isn't anything special for performance, but my AWD model felt like a rocketship. I think my '19 Standard Range 3 would walk it above 70 MPH though; the power dropoff at higher speeds was more pronounced. Below 60, it wasn't even close. Up until the Model Y, that EV6 was the fastest thing I've owned.

Interior and Storage

The Model Y really stands out for interior usability. It has a much larger cabin with over 75 cubic feet(2.12 cubic meters) compared to 52(1.47 cubic meters) for the EV6. The difference feels smaller because of how well laid out the EV6 is, but you can't beat the massive trunk well and frunk. Today was a good reminder of why I liked that frunk in the wintertime when I loaded almost half of a shopping cart's worth of cold groceries in the frunk to keep them chilled on the hour-long ride home. It's tough to beat that convenience.

The center console of the Y is closed off to deliver a cockpit-like feel, which isn't as usable as the big open tub underneath the rotary shifter in the EV6. The wireless charger is a better compared to the single unit under the driver's arm on the EV6. I never used it on my EV6 because of wired CarPlay, but that's a language that Tesla does not speak, so I'll be using it from now on. My Y came with the optional white interior, which looks great when it's clean. I'm concerned about keeping it that way, as I'm a bit neurotic about having a decent-looking car.

The EV6 is a lot more usable than the size difference would suggest. The overall passenger room seems about even between the two, but the rear passengers sit lower than the Y. The long cargo area is great. The first photo below is my EV6 swallowing 10 bags of topsoil with a rake and hose on top. My boys were comfortably in the back seat for the ride home, and there was no noticeable squatting with the added weight. I was impressed.

IMG_8498.jpegIMG_7341.jpegIMG_7339.jpegIMG_7195.jpeg

Infotainment/Navigation.

This is the one area that Tesla has the clear advantage. This shouldn't be news to anyone here. The physical controls of the EV6 great, but it didn't take long to get used to Tesla's system again despite the critical reviews. I hate the fact that Tesla does not support CarPlay, but Tesla's in-car system remains the best in the business despite some rearranging since I last left. The second-generation system in my Y with the Ryzen processor is noticeably snappier than the one in my last Tesla. And even the old Intel chip would leave Kia's UVO system in the dust.

I never had a problem with the speed of Kia's system, though, and I always enjoyed how many options we had within the various menus. But my early-build EV6 lacked preconditioning, and it's been made clear that this feature cannot be added within a simple OTA update. The EV6 doesn't have any kind of trip-planning function and doesn't give you a battery estimate of what will remain once you arrive. That's a major oversight for a company that's been making EVs for three years now, but I expect it will eventually be corrected with an OTA update at some point down the line. This shouldn't be a hard problem for Kia to solve.

IMG_7143.jpegIMG_7183.jpeg

To my ear, Tesla has a clear advantage with their sound system. I sat in the EV6 for the first time with high hopes for the 14-speaker Meridian system, but it was a big disappointment. It sounded better than most unbranded systems that I've had in the past, and better than the one in my Standard Range '19 Model 3, but that's as much as I'd give it. I believe this is a calibration issue more than a speaker quality one, so I hope there's some kind of improvement that gets released in the future. In comparison, the Model Y has deep, powerful bass and clear highs that are somewhat neutered when driven by Bluetooth audio. Seems to be better with direct streaming through Spotify, though. I switched to Apple Music when they came out with lossless a couple of years ago, so I hope to get the holiday update to compare the two soon.

Other stuff.

Tesla has long had the best mobile app in the business, and it's gotten even better since I sold my 3. The Kia app is functionally braindead in comparison. It's capable of remotely starting the HVAC, but you only have a limited degree of control. You can set the climate temp at the start, but you can't change it without stopping the system and adjusting the settings within the app. Once you send the command, you have to wait 5-20 seconds for the signal to be sent to the car and the app confirms the change. If you try and change anything before that, you get an "Error: Command in progress." For some silly reason, you can remotely enable the steering wheel heater with climate, but not the seats? It's really bizarre to slide into a warm cabin, grab a toasty wheel, and have a freezing ass.

Kia advertises their 800v system, and for very good reason. The EV6 is a charging hero, and I don't expect the Model Y will be able to beat it. This thing would hold 220 kW from 10-60%, which made it charge the 77 kWh battery to 80% in about 20 minutes. I did this repeatedly on a road trip over the summer. Of course, this isn't possible in the winter with the lack of preconditioning, but later-build EV6es had that fixed. The Electrify America network is every bit the dumpster fire you've heard about, but when they work, it's fast. This won't last forever, though. I was also impressed with how strong the regen is on the EV6. It's noticeably stronger at all speeds to the Model Y despite the Y weighing 300 lbs less. You can do some neat things with 800v because you don't need as much current to do the same amount of work.

IMG_8524.JPEG

To conclude, my time spent with the EV6 was mostly filled with great thoughts. I really got to love the refinement and outstanding fast-charging capability. My previous experience was with a '19 Tesla Model 3 with a PTC heater that wasn't capable of achieving its 240-mile rated range in sunny weather rolling down a hill. The EV6 never disappointed me for range, and I was impressed with how well it manages energy. I certainly wouldn't rule out another Kia EV in the future, and Tesla needs to step up their game if they expect to retain their longstanding primacy in the EV market. An EV6 with a Tesla-like software experience would have the Model Y pretty well dialed in.

IMG_8498.jpeg

Last edited:
How soon did you notice rattles? I picked up a 2023 Model 3 2 weeks ago, and it has zero rattles so far. I’m fully expecting to get some rattles, though… it’s so quiet that even faint rattles that would never be heard in an ICE car will be heard in this one.
Like 1 month in but tbh it's not even bad. I drove an ICE vehicle the other day (audi) and noticed it has some rattles but it gets drowned out by the engine noise.

I narrowed down the rattle in my Model Y to the rear seat; it's getting replaced.

As an example, I was driving up to Grand Forks, ND, and after charging in Alexandria, MN Tesla said I make it the rest of the way with 12% battery left. Half way between Fargo and Grand Forks the estimated remaining battery had dropped to 2% so my wife had to get out her phone, pull up plugshare and search for other charging options
Didn't your car give you warnings well before the 2% arrival projection? As in telling you to slow down to a certain speed to ensure you made it? And yes, I always run ABRP scenario's before a trip as a "second opinion" - good practice for anyone as well as scoping out Plugshare options.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. When I think about travel, like several-thousand miles trips, I don't feel comfortable to drive with no solid in-car navigation calculating the estimated range and navigating you to fastest charging stops. I also really don't feel comfortable coming to a charging station to find it is not working or that it will take several hours to charge. I understand these challenges are okay for many car enthusiasts, it's hard to sign up the entire family though for self-torture.

NOPE! Not acceptable to this car enthusiast, which is a big part of why I’m here. 😉

Easily the most frustrating part of the EV6 was the software basics that should be obvious. The car’s range display adapts in real time to driving conditions, and it‘s fairly accurate. Why they couldn’t take that information and give us an estimate of remaining battery capacity when we reached our charging destination was beyond me. They know how to figure range; how hard is this to figure out?

Likewise, my early-build car lacked preconditioning. But it had something called “Winter Mode” in its place, which was an option that would activate the battery heater to keep the pack above 14º F in order to preserve maximum power output. I don’t know that most people care that much about maximum performance in cold weather, but we certainly care about changing. Especially for a car with rapid charging as a standout feature.

Charging station reliability really killed it for me as well. Not Kia‘s fault by any stretch, but it screws with the ownership experience when you can’t count on a DCFC working right. None of these things should be hard problems to solve. I think the EV6/Ioniq5/GV60 would be a fantastic car to own if they ever get there. But for now, Tesla seems to be the only one that has the entire package figured out.

Didn't your car give you warnings well before the 2% arrival projection? As in telling you to slow down to a certain speed to ensure you made it? And yes, I always run ABRP scenario's before a trip as a "second opinion" - good practice for anyone as well as scoping out Plugshare options.
Yes, and I started to slow down. I noticed the range going down even before the warning but it was after the last SC in Fargo that I noticed it and after that that I got the warning.

NOPE! Not acceptable to this car enthusiast, which is a big part of why I’m here. 😉

Easily the most frustrating part of the EV6 was the software basics that should be obvious. The car’s range display adapts in real time to driving conditions, and it‘s fairly accurate. Why they couldn’t take that information and give us an estimate of remaining battery capacity when we reached our charging destination was beyond me. They know how to figure range; how hard is this to figure out?

Likewise, my early-build car lacked preconditioning. But it had something called “Winter Mode” in its place, which was an option that would activate the battery heater to keep the pack above 14º F in order to preserve maximum power output. I don’t know that most people care that much about maximum performance in cold weather, but we certainly care about changing. Especially for a car with rapid charging as a standout feature.

Charging station reliability really killed it for me as well. Not Kia‘s fault by any stretch, but it screws with the ownership experience when you can’t count on a DCFC working right. None of these things should be hard problems to solve. I think the EV6/Ioniq5/GV60 would be a fantastic car to own if they ever get there. But for now, Tesla seems to be the only one that has the entire package figured out.
I think we need a new federal law that penalizes companies for not fixing their chargers' hardware and software within 24h or so. We also need a better policy on charging interface standard. As a child of a global cheating scandal, the EA could be forced to provide Tesla adapters (cuz most EVs are still Teslas), which would require certain political will at DC.

Thanks for that review.

Three things I noticed not mentioned here: EV6 has "overhead view" when parking, which is a showstopper. If I parked a lot, that would tip the balance for me. Seriously, it's just sooooo lame that tesla didn't work this out.

Second: Rear visibility is *awful* in all these cars, because of roof pillar. But I think it might be even a bit worse in EV6 if that's possible.

AND MOST IMPORTANT, INSTRUMENTS!!!!! WHERE YOU DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AWAY FROM THE ROAD!!!! And heads-up!

If someone comes up with a decent instrument cluster and heads up for my (soon to have) Y, I would buy it even at a silly price. (The one's I've seen look really awful. Please you aftermarket instrument cluster makers, please stop thinking video games, think BMW displays. Please!)

Otherwise, seems to be about as much of a consensus as can be: supercharger network good, Y software works (ID4 - ughghghgh), generally works on road trips, and far, far too much power. Not perfect, but then nothing is.

-TPC

AND MOST IMPORTANT, INSTRUMENTS!!!!! WHERE YOU DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AWAY FROM THE ROAD!!!! And heads-up!
If you have your instrument cluster right over the wheel it is no different to when you have it to a side because you will be checking it with your eyes shifting the focus. In both cases you will be looking away from the road. This is clearly a story made-up by/for short sellers. Many other cars including most Prius models and Saturn Ion had had no instruments right in front of the driver and somehow they were okay.

I ended up trading Ruby the EV6 for a Model Y last night. My 5 months with the EV6 was fantastic, and the mechanical bits were every bit as awesome as I hoped going in. Ultimately, it was the lousy CCS charging experience combined with software that seemed like an afterthought that drove me to making the switch. For anyone interested, here are a few thoughts I have between the two.

View attachment 886384View attachment 886380View attachment 886382

Driving

The driving experience between the two is very different. The aggressive looks of the EV6 belie its fantastic road manners and refinement. I think my EV6 was the quietest and best-riding car I've ever had, and was MUCH better than the Model 3 that I had for two years previously. Everything was tight, there were no unusual noises, and it was a joy on the highway. In comparison, the Y has a choppier ride, a bit more noise, and a strange booming resonance when I go over bumps at higher speed. It's not enough to be intrusive and much better than my '19 Model 3 was, but not to the level of the EV6.

Compared to the athletic EV6, I think the Model Y looks like a bloated fish. But the handling is the polar opposite with the aggressive steering ratio and smaller wheel. Despite its much larger size, the Model Y is 330 lbs lighter, and you can feel it. My AWD EV6 had the slick front axle disconnect that improved high-speed efficiency, but it came at the expense of a noticeable lag as the motor spun up deliver the power that my right foot was requesting. The Y is locked in at all times, and power comes on like a hammer. The standard Y calibration has a throttle tip-in that's somewhere between normal and Sport Mode on the EV6.

For overall performance, they're extremely close. I've seen drag races where the EV6 was right next to the Model Y up to about 60 MPH, and that's about my experience. The RWD EV6 isn't anything special for performance, but my AWD model felt like a rocketship. I think my '19 Standard Range 3 would walk it above 70 MPH though; the power dropoff at higher speeds was more pronounced. Below 60, it wasn't even close. Up until the Model Y, that EV6 was the fastest thing I've owned.

Interior and Storage

The Model Y really stands out for interior usability. It has a much larger cabin with over 75 cubic feet(2.12 cubic meters) compared to 52(1.47 cubic meters) for the EV6. The difference feels smaller because of how well laid out the EV6 is, but you can't beat the massive trunk well and frunk. Today was a good reminder of why I liked that frunk in the wintertime when I loaded almost half of a shopping cart's worth of cold groceries in the frunk to keep them chilled on the hour-long ride home. It's tough to beat that convenience.

The center console of the Y is closed off to deliver a cockpit-like feel, which isn't as usable as the big open tub underneath the rotary shifter in the EV6. The wireless charger is a better compared to the single unit under the driver's arm on the EV6. I never used it on my EV6 because of wired CarPlay, but that's a language that Tesla does not speak, so I'll be using it from now on. My Y came with the optional white interior, which looks great when it's clean. I'm concerned about keeping it that way, as I'm a bit neurotic about having a decent-looking car.

The EV6 is a lot more usable than the size difference would suggest. The overall passenger room seems about even between the two, but the rear passengers sit lower than the Y. The long cargo area is great. The first photo below is my EV6 swallowing 10 bags of topsoil with a rake and hose on top. My boys were comfortably in the back seat for the ride home, and there was no noticeable squatting with the added weight. I was impressed.

View attachment 886383View attachment 886385View attachment 886386View attachment 886387

Infotainment/Navigation.

This is the one area that Tesla has the clear advantage. This shouldn't be news to anyone here. The physical controls of the EV6 great, but it didn't take long to get used to Tesla's system again despite the critical reviews. I hate the fact that Tesla does not support CarPlay, but Tesla's in-car system remains the best in the business despite some rearranging since I last left. The second-generation system in my Y with the Ryzen processor is noticeably snappier than the one in my last Tesla. And even the old Intel chip would leave Kia's UVO system in the dust.

I never had a problem with the speed of Kia's system, though, and I always enjoyed how many options we had within the various menus. But my early-build EV6 lacked preconditioning, and it's been made clear that this feature cannot be added within a simple OTA update. The EV6 doesn't have any kind of trip-planning function and doesn't give you a battery estimate of what will remain once you arrive. That's a major oversight for a company that's been making EVs for three years now, but I expect it will eventually be corrected with an OTA update at some point down the line. This shouldn't be a hard problem for Kia to solve.

View attachment 886389View attachment 886388

To my ear, Tesla has a clear advantage with their sound system. I sat in the EV6 for the first time with high hopes for the 14-speaker Meridian system, but it was a big disappointment. It sounded better than most unbranded systems that I've had in the past, and better than the one in my Standard Range '19 Model 3, but that's as much as I'd give it. I believe this is a calibration issue more than a speaker quality one, so I hope there's some kind of improvement that gets released in the future. In comparison, the Model Y has deep, powerful bass and clear highs that are somewhat neutered when driven by Bluetooth audio. Seems to be better with direct streaming through Spotify, though. I switched to Apple Music when they came out with lossless a couple of years ago, so I hope to get the holiday update to compare the two soon.

Other stuff.

Tesla has long had the best mobile app in the business, and it's gotten even better since I sold my 3. The Kia app is functionally braindead in comparison. It's capable of remotely starting the HVAC, but you only have a limited degree of control. You can set the climate temp at the start, but you can't change it without stopping the system and adjusting the settings within the app. Once you send the command, you have to wait 5-20 seconds for the signal to be sent to the car and the app confirms the change. If you try and change anything before that, you get an "Error: Command in progress." For some silly reason, you can remotely enable the steering wheel heater with climate, but not the seats? It's really bizarre to slide into a warm cabin, grab a toasty wheel, and have a freezing ass.

Kia advertises their 800v system, and for very good reason. The EV6 is a charging hero, and I don't expect the Model Y will be able to beat it. This thing would hold 220 kW from 10-60%, which made it charge the 77 kWh battery to 80% in about 20 minutes. I did this repeatedly on a road trip over the summer. Of course, this isn't possible in the winter with the lack of preconditioning, but later-build EV6es had that fixed. The Electrify America network is every bit the dumpster fire you've heard about, but when they work, it's fast. This won't last forever, though. I was also impressed with how strong the regen is on the EV6. It's noticeably stronger at all speeds to the Model Y despite the Y weighing 300 lbs less. You can do some neat things with 800v because you don't need as much current to do the same amount of work.

View attachment 886381

To conclude, my time spent with the EV6 was mostly filled with great thoughts. I really got to love the refinement and outstanding fast-charging capability. My previous experience was with a '19 Tesla Model 3 with a PTC heater that wasn't capable of achieving its 240-mile rated range in sunny weather rolling down a hill. The EV6 never disappointed me for range, and I was impressed with how well it manages energy. I certainly wouldn't rule out another Kia EV in the future, and Tesla needs to step up their game if they expect to retain their longstanding primacy in the EV market. An EV6 with a Tesla-like software experience would have the Model Y pretty well dialed

View attachment 886384View attachment 886380View attachment 886382

Driving

Interior and Storage

View attachment 886383View attachment 886385View attachment 886386View attachment 886387

Infotainment/Navigation.

View attachment 886389View attachment 886388

Other stuff.

View attachment 886381

To conclude, my time spent with the EV6 was mostly filled with great thoughts. I really got to love the refinement and outstanding fast-charging capability. My previous experience was with a '19 Tesla Model 3 with a PTC heater that wasn't capable of achieving its 240-mile rated range in sunny weather rolling down a hill. The EV6 never disappointed me for range, and I was impressed with how well it manages energy. I certainly wouldn't rule out another Kia EV in the future, and Tesla needs to step up their game if they expect to retain their longstanding primacy in the EV market. An EV6 with a Tesla-like software experience would have the Model Y pretty well dialed in.

View attachment 886383
What an awesome review TomB985! After our '19 Tesla M3 SR+ was rear-ended and totaled in April 2022, we shopped for a new EV and nearly bought a Kia EV6. We backed out at the last minute (literally negotiating the options) and opted for the Tesla MYLR in December 2022. The dealer markup made the EV6 Wind Technology essentially the same price as the MYLR, and I decided the Tesla charging network and no-haggle purchase experience of the MY were better. Your review assures me that I made the right decision. But I hope KIA and other EV makers bridge the gap with Tesla. The EV6 is a worthy car.

Reactions: Fourdoor
Thanks for that review.

Three things I noticed not mentioned here: EV6 has "overhead view" when parking, which is a showstopper. If I parked a lot, that would tip the balance for me. Seriously, it's just sooooo lame that tesla didn't work this out.

Second: Rear visibility is *awful* in all these cars, because of roof pillar. But I think it might be even a bit worse in EV6 if that's possible.

My review didn’t mention the overhead view because I didn’t have it. Mine was an EV6 Wind, which only includes the cameras when equipped with the technology package. I would have happily paid for the tech package, but I ended up buying the one that came off the truck when I got the phone call. From what I’ve seen, it looks really slick.

If you have your instrument cluster right over the wheel it is no different to when you have it to a side because you will be checking it with your eyes shifting the focus. In both cases you will be looking away from the road. This is clearly a story made-up by/for short sellers. Many other cars including most Prius models and Saturn Ion had had no instruments right in front of the driver and somehow they were okay.

Bull.

I’m not a short seller, and I don’t have Tesla stock. But the instrument cluster right behind the steering wheel is genuinely useful. I got used to looking to the side with my Model 3, and I don’t have a problem going back to the Tesla layout after two years with the 3. But it was a heckuva lot easier for me to look right beneath my hands when placed on the wheel.

What an awesome review TomB985! After our '19 Tesla M3 SR+ was rear-ended and totaled in April 2022, we shopped for a new EV and nearly bought a Kia EV6. We backed out at the last minute (literally negotiating the options) and opted for the Tesla MYLR in December 2022. The dealer markup made the EV6 Wind Technology essentially the same price as the MYLR, and I decided the Tesla charging network and no-haggle purchase experience of the MY were better. Your review assures me that I made the right decision. But I hope KIA and other EV makers bridge the gap with Tesla. The EV6 is a worthy car.

Dealer markup would have done the same for me! I refused to pay over MSRP, which is how I ended up with the EV6 over the Ioniq5. You made the better choice, though. I got a decent deal with the end-of-year credit, but lost out on the depreciation I took on the EV6 along the way. The EV6 is an amazing car, though, and I expect it will be a force to be reckoned with once the software gets sorted out.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
I think we need a new federal law that penalizes companies for not fixing their chargers' hardware and software within 24h or so.

I would recommend watching this video:

43:12​
"I don't think people realize the importance of having reliable fast charging"
"so at the end of the day if if reliability for road trips is your top priority"
"do not buy a CCS vehicle today!"

CCS charging can and will be solved. It has to.

More CCS vehicles hit the road every day, and there is a tremendous amount of money being put into public charging infrastructure. Even if there was the collective desire among established automakers to transition to Tesla's connector, there's no good way to do that without leaving millions of existing owners out in the cold. The time for establishing Tesla's connector as the industry standard would have been years ago.

The problem isn't CCS. It's been implemented successfully in other places, including areas like Norway that experience cold weather. The charging operators and equipment manufacturers simply need to get their act together.

I’ve owned all three of them, I would say the EV6 is much closer to the Model Y than it is the 3. Between the seating position, cargo layout, passenger space, and ride height, the 3 was a completely different type of car to me.

Thank you so much for pointing this out as someone who has owned all three. I see the "the EV6 should be compared to the 3 not the Y" in damn near every thread that mentions the EV6 and it seems silly to me. Pretty clear that the reason is that the M3 is faster than the EV6 and the Y is slower than the EV6 so the fanboys want the comparison to be with the 3 instead of the Y.

Keith

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Foolowing the previous CCS in the cold fiasco video,
here is a Model 3 left in the cold and using a Tesla Supercharger.

I watched that Out of Spec Review yesterday and found it, like all of his reviews, very informative, objective, and helpful. It pointed out the importance of proper battery pre-conditioning and the sophistication of Tesla's approach to it, including provision of suggestions for how to avoid lengthy charge sessions in cold weather.

One area where Tesla is clearly (but not so visibly) leading the competition is in battery and manufacturing. If you look at the underlying architecture and manufacturing Tesla has some significant advantages. The problem is they are invisible to the average consumer. Heck, I know about them and I still tend to forget about them.

Still, Tesla needs to up its game when it comes to manufacturing quality. They are steadily getting a reputation for shoddy quality and poor service. That’s exactly what sank the legacy U.S. Automakers a couple generations ago.

The perception is that the cars are in such high demand that there is no reason to spend money to make quality control or service a concern. This is an illusion though. The only Tesla I know of right now with zero inventory is the Model Y... but the perception is that if you want ANY Tesla you will be on a waiting list for 6 months to a year.

Keith

PS: Keep that in mind if you purchase a new inventory tesla model Y that has near zero miles it is in inventory because somebody backed out on a purchase... most likely rejected that car because of flaws. You are much better off with an inventory car with 500 miles than an inventory car with 5 miles.

PPS: Japan was the downfall of the American Auto makers, China will be the downfall of other EV Auto makers.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
Thank you so much for pointing this out as someone who has owned all three. I see the "the EV6 should be compared to the 3 not the Y" in damn near every thread that mentions the EV6 and it seems silly to me. Pretty clear that the reason is that the M3 is faster than the EV6 and the Y is slower than the EV6 so the fanboys want the comparison to be with the 3 instead of the Y.

Keith
I would say the reason is cargo capacity and cost (comparing to the M3). The Y holds 50% more cargo than the EV6.

Size-wise the EV6 is closer to the Y, and they both have hatches. Amazing how much more stuff the Y holds though for being similar sizes.

I had a 2019 Tesla Model 3 DM for a number of years then I wanted to try other brands of EV for comparison. I test drove the EV6 GT, the i4, iX, MachE, iD4 but ultimately purchased a Polestar 2 for her looks and a beautiful, buttery soft, all leather interior...what a mistake that was. The ride is good but wind and road noise was loud at interstate speed. Handling was good though. The seats are comfy but the cockpit was way cramped. The software were awful; be it the PAK, infotainment or OTA; simply not ready for prime time, imo. I chuck PS 2 and ended up getting a build in Texas, 2023 Model Y LR. Oh I'm in EV paradise again. Thank you Elon!!

Attachments

• 20221225_164233.jpg
    20221225_164233.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221225_160044.jpg
    20221225_160044.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20221225_160033.jpg
    20221225_160033.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 44
I had a 2019 Tesla Model 3 DM for a number of years then I wanted to try other brands of EV for comparison. I test drove the EV6 GT, the i4, iX, MachE, iD4 but ultimately purchased a Polestar 2 for her looks and a beautiful, buttery soft, all leather interior...what a mistake that was. The ride is good but wind and road noise was loud at interstate speed. Handling was good though. The seats are comfy but the cockpit was way cramped. The software were awful; be it the PAK, infotainment or OTA; simply not ready for prime time, imo. I chuck PS 2 and ended up getting a build in Texas, 2023 Model Y LR. Oh I'm in EV paradise again. Thank you Elon!!

I'm not the only one who returned! Your experience with the Polestar is similar to what I've read from others. How long ago did you test-drive the EV6 GT? I heard those were just hitting dealers over the last few weeks, and dealers seem to want a fortune for them. Ridiculously fast machines, though.

I'm not the only one who returned! Your experience with the Polestar is similar to what I've read from others. How long ago did you test-drive the EV6 GT? I heard those were just hitting dealers over the last few weeks, and dealers seem to want a fortune for them. Ridiculously fast machines, though.
Kia and Hyundai stealerships are notorious for their shamelessly large markups. $6000 plus crap load of dealer installed accessories; ended up over $12000 over MSRP. Some high volume dealership here in Texas are getting the GTs. My Tesla Model Y LR is fast enough, imo. Tesla is the way to go, forget the Koreans, VW or Mach E, they all required stealerships involvement.

Reactions: cusetownusa