TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Even this Volt owner knows...

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by scaesare, Jul 28, 2015.

1. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

... that he's not driving an EV:

CP_Volt_Small.jpg

(seen on my commute to work this morning. All intended in good fun...)

2. CatB

CatB Member

I wonder if that means "don't coal-roll me" - very intriguing though - almost a twisted insight - I like it (oddly, wonder if it ICE drivers think) :)

3. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Your comments make no sense. Everyone I talk to about BEVs or driving a Volt on the battery alone bring up coal produced electricity. And they think the Tesla being all electric can only run on coal.

4. perkiset

perkiset ... this one goes to 11

You can tell 'em that the thousands in Phoenix are all nuclear powered ;)

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

They're from a coal-producing area and are happy to be powered by coal.

The first Volt I saw was on a snowy day in my (small) city, the car was, I think, from PA, and had a sticker on the rear that said "Powered By Coal".

As scottf says, your comment makes no sense. If anything they _are_ identifying with it being an EV. But please, let's not start _that_ debate again.

6. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Well, it was attempt at a atirical jab at the "Volt are gas powered" debates by stating they are actually coal instead, but oh well...

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

PWN'd is 1337 speak for 'player owned', a term that spawned from a developer bug in Warcraft that basically describes beating the crap out of someone.

in reference to the photo above, it's meant to describe beating the coal industry.

8. Oil4AsphaultOnly

Yes, and no. The plate reads, "COAL PWD" - coal powered.

1337 short-hand would've been, "COAL PWN"

9. Park2670

Park2670 Member

I almost got a similar plate here in Utah for my Volt. My power is over 80% produced by coal so it would be relevant for my car.

Ended up with IxR for Amps * Ohms = Volt.

10. Lex

Lex Member

Since electric cars are so efficient (as are large coal power plants presumably) I'd be curious to know just how much coal is needed to propel a Volt or a Model S... eg. x miles per lump of coal :tongue:

11. Oil4AsphaultOnly

I actually did this calculation last year: ... How Much Was Consumed? - fan of the underdog | Seeking Alpha

Essentially: 2000 lbs of coal = 2460 KWh = 7257 (assuming 2.95 miles/kwh) ... ~3.6285 miles per pound of coal.

12. Room_A113

Room_A113 Member

That's funny that we were posting at the same time. Using my numbers (5,500 miles/2,000 lbs), I get 2.75 miles per pound of coal, which is about 25% fewer miles than your calculation. Did you happen to take into account transmission and charger losses? I calculated about 10% for each, I think.

13. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Hehe, mine:

LicPLate (1).jpg

14. Oil4AsphaultOnly

Nope, didn't factor in either losses, because they're dependent on distance to the power plant and the 2.95 miles/kwh was fairly pessimistic anyway (even more so for the volt. With our two numbers, Lex has a range band that (s)he can play with.

15. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Nice! I love nerdy plates. I had one on each one of my BMWs that had the body code and engine code. Still thinking of a good idea for the Model 3 when I get it.