Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ever since update 2019.5.15, AIF or AIFF music files neither load or play.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Summary above says it all. We have correctly partitioned and formatted micro thumb drives in our 2014 MS (2019.8.3) and in our late December 2017 M3 (2019.8.4). Our M3 thumb drive will play all AIF and AIFF music tracks in our MS but NOT in our M3. Our MS thumb drive will load & play all AIF and AIFF music tracks in our MS but NOT in our M3. A "Tesla Customer Service Representative" informed us that AIF and AIFF files play in the M3, but has refused to reply to further correspondence or be of any assistance. I was advised by Tesla Chat rep to power off car had wait three minutes befoer starting. Did that; NO effect!.
Conclusions:
1. Thumb drives are formatted correctly.
2. Our M3 has a software bug likely introduced in 2019.5.15 of which the egineers are likely unaware that is responsible for this defect.
I have emailed the (former) Tesla executive responsible for Customer Service, but get mailer daemon return as "undeliverable." Does anyone have (1) advice on our to play AIF and AIFF files in up-to-date M3 and (2) email infor for teh current Tesla Executive responsible for Customer Support.
Thank you

I can't help but be curious why you're using AIFF? FLAC seems to be the overwhelming favorite for lossless audio. And there's always WAV.

Testing of the most common use cases naturally takes precedent in software development, so I wouldn't be surprised if AIFF get the least testing of all the supported formats. I'm honestly surprised they supported that file format at all.

It seems like playing any media from a flash drive has long had a lot of software bugs in Teslas. :(

Last edited:
I can't help but be curious why you're using AIFF? FLAC seems to be the overwhelming favorite for lossless audio. And there's always WAV.

Testing of the most common use cases naturally takes precedent in software development, so I wouldn't be surprised if AIFF get the least testing of all the supported formats. I'm honestly surprised they supported that file format at all.

It seems like playing any media from a flash drive has long had a lot of software bugs in Teslas. :(
Scott

Scott - Thanx a bunch for suggestion on using WAV rather than AIF or AIFF music files. Works like a charm, no loss of quality & keeps numerical order of all tracks (unlike MP3, which loose all numerical order and are only sorted alphabetically!). Tesla folk still have responded to numerous requests; I guess too busy with other things. It took quite a while to convert & replace the music files I had. Sure hope that the next OTA update doesn’t eliminate the ability to play WAV files!!
Thanx, again. Much appreciated. You’re a champ!

Reactions: Scott7