Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Every Other Day, Daily or Twice Daily Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heat from the charger doesn't go into the battery, so I don't see the relevance of that.
How is the coolant routed for cooling the charger(s)? Is that a separate coolant loop? In the Focus Electric the coolant loop for the HVB is also the coolant loop for the onboard charger. This means that heat from the charger is transferred to the battery via the coolant. Additionally, the HVB also heats up from charging. If you're able to monitor HVB temps you'll notice that driving down a mountain and charging the HVB from the descent will raise the HVB temp much more than climbing the mountain does.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
How is the coolant routed for cooling the charger(s)? Is that a separate coolant loop? In the Focus Electric the coolant loop for the HVB is also the coolant loop for the onboard charger. This means that heat from the charger is transferred to the battery via the coolant. Additionally, the HVB also heats up from charging. If you're able to monitor HVB temps you'll notice that driving down a mountain and charging the HVB from the descent will raise the HVB temp much more than climbing the mountain does.
how is how any other EV's battery system relevant to this discussion?
the tesla system is a unique and superior battery management system.

It is an example. Do you know how the Tesla system works? You claim it is superior but I see you providing no evidence to support your claim. You are adding nothing of value to this discussion.
how long have you been driving your tesla? how long have you been studying the BMS of the tesla, not other EVs, the tesla?
you've quoted studies that are irrelevant and offered some very ill informed opinions on the BMS of the tesla and you are telling be I've added nothing?
repeat after me the BMS on the tesla is a far superior and unique system and it works very well managing the battery.

• Disagree
Reactions: hybridbear
how long have you been driving your tesla? how long have you been studying the BMS of the tesla, not other EVs, the tesla?
you've quoted studies that are irrelevant and offered some very ill informed opinions on the BMS of the tesla and you are telling be I've added nothing?
repeat after me the BMS on the tesla is a far superior and unique system and it works very well managing the battery.
How is the study irrelevant? It is very relevant. Prove it that my information is wrong. You've provided no information regarding the Tesla system. My statements are all based on facts, such as the NREL study. Your statements have included no proven facts. I have never said that the Tesla BMS system doesn't work well to manage the battery.

How is the study irrelevant? It is very relevant. Prove it that my information is wrong. You've provided no information regarding the Tesla system. My statements are all based on facts, such as the NREL study. Your statements have included no proven facts. I have never said that the Tesla BMS system doesn't work well to manage the battery.
nobody says your information is wrong, it just isn't applicable or relevant to a tesla.

• Disagree
However, don't let the SOC get too low, as this will damage the HVB due to increased stress on each cell as they have to provide the same amount of power with a lower voltage, thus necessitating higher amps (current) which causes more stress due to the internal resistance..

To be clear, a resting low state of charge by-itself is not harmful to the battery. A low resting SOC is ideal actually. It's DRIVING the car hard with a low SOC that is harmful by increasing the amps to make-up for the lower voltage that comes with a low SOC. Your post makes it sound like these stresses happen when not in use.

To be clear, a resting low state of charge by-itself is not harmful to the battery. A low resting SOC is ideal actually. It's DRIVING the car hard with a low SOC that is harmful by increasing the amps to make-up for the lower voltage that comes with a low SOC. Your post makes it sound like these stresses happen when not in use.
Good catch on the wording. You are completely right. It's the stress of needing more current to offset the lower voltage to equal the same amount of power that stresses the cells when at a low SOC and thus a lower voltage.