Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The seat warmers needed to be moved away from the temperature controls. I often turned them on when trying to lower the temp in the summer
While I am annoyed at the moving them, when someone else mentioned it, I had to agree making them less accessible will solve that problem for me as well. I definitely have fat fingers/unsteady arms, plus wear gloves when in the car, not as a fashion statement but out of necessity, so have turned on my seat heater by accident at least 50 times in the last 15 months.

On the other hand, I've never turned on the defroster by accident and will now never have the chance to do so.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Had a nice long drive using v11 last night...love it even more!! I think it is much better than before. Cleaner NAV look with less top row clutter for buttons that are pressed once in a blue moon. Having to press two buttons is absolutely no biggie for me especially as most of them I would set up before driving, like profile, mirror and wheel adjustments. I don't need seat heaters or defrost buttons visible all the time. I don't need trip stats and tire pressures while I am driving. Having said that it wouldn't surprise me if Tesla allow more than 'apps' to be customizable in a future release. Perhaps they will allow a space for whatever the user wants to be put down there? As for me, I am happy with it as is. If you are unhappy then just tweet Elon Musk!

It's different here in Norway. Low beams are always on regardless of what you do. You can't turn them off while driving as that is the law here. Pushing the stick back turns on the high beams and pulling it forward is used to flash high beams. So yes, to access the light controls your way I do need to flash my lights. That said, lights are not my big concern. Wipers are. I had a scary moment on the highway passing trucks in torrential rain when auto wipers didn't come on. They don't work in snow either.
Yeah. In Canadian winters too, the wipers on auto setting are useless.

Oh, here another good one. It used to save your recent radio stations, slacker station etc. Irrespective of the source. More it seems to save recents sorted by source and even then it doesn't do that properly anyway. I often switch between FM radio, TuneIn radio stations and streaming music. Now I am constantly hunting for my favourites, having to explicitly choose what source type I want. This is a UX that was designed by designers for humans (in the past) and got run over by a bunch of lazy programmers.

Reactions: HBDesiato
I've owned my Model S for almost 4 years. During that time I have eagerly awaited each new software/firmware update. I have never been disappointed, until now. V11 is awful!! A total POS. I deeply regret having updated and I wish I could roll it back to my previous version!
I have had my S since 2016 and felt just like you about updates. Fortunately, I have not updated the S. I wish I could say the same for my Model Y which has no taken major leaps backward with this release. Too eager to see the holiday lightshow; should have waited to read all this!

you think it was one guy who pushed this thru?

I bet there was a lot of discussion and testing. this was not something someone did as a midnight hack.

tesla fully likes what they did. this is fully intentional. the release cycle for car firmware is 'not just one guy' and a lot of approvals need to be had before its released ;)

basically, telsa fully approved of all of this, with eyes wide open.
No, you are missing a lot of context. I was saying that a few people especially the one person I was responding to who likes the update doesn’t excuse it being a good update for the masses.

I think you missed at least one important thing: for those of us in cold climates not having the defrost easily and visually accessible is a safety issue. Stupid update by non-drivers in California who don't understand a real use-case.
I’m from one of the foggiest cities in the world which happens to be in California and it is sorely missed. And to me, presents a safety hazard that government agencies should be alerted of.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Cant talk for Norway. I am talking for what works here. But as you said...who is going to be constantly needing access to the lights settings. As for wipers and torrential rain...if you are driving into rain and the wipers don't come on (for whatever reason), then just press the stalk button and they come on immediately, then hit 1,2 or 3...what was the scary moment? Did you just not clear the windows? As for snow...well if you KNOW it doesnt detect snow then just press the stalk button and set to 1,2 or 3...cant help you there as I dont suffer these same problems...
Lights and auto wipers are not consistent in Canada either, at least during the winter. Tesla doesn't understand our northern winters. They test their cars in Alaska, but only for short periods and not all winter long, which doesn't represent all types of winter weather. What works in Texas or California doesn't necessarily work in REAL four-month-long winters.

Reactions: Wheely and Sporty
Lights and auto wipers are not consistent in Canada either, at least during the winter. Tesla doesn't understand our northern winters. They test their cars in Alaska, but only for short periods and not all winter long, which doesn't represent all types of winter weather. What works in Texas or California doesn't necessarily work in REAL four-month-long winters.
The auto lights and wipers don’t work in California either, but that’s a different story and wasn’t affected by v11.

Reactions: Sporty
auto wipes have always and always will be broken though. you can still single click the stalk for one wipe. wiper functionality hasn't really changed in this iteration other than the speed targets (buttons) are much smaller than before
Auto wipers from Tesla at least are not ready for prime time, since they are still not as good as my own reaction times.

Reactions: Sporty