Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
-The-honeymoon-with-my-SR+-is-over,
Travis
As a future owner (soon, i hope, with an Austin build), i almost canceled my reservation because of a number of issues i'm worried about. The UI is probably the least of my concerns, since i'm sure i'll be able to deal with it better than those that had v10. Loud humming from heat pump area, neutered console USB, build issues, lack of (and decreasing) support/concern for the customer, and insane comments from Elon, really have me worried.

But in the end i realized i don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water. I'm SO eager to get the car to find out for myself. I'm lucky enough to be able to keep my current car for a year and then i'll make the final commitment to keep one and sell one. I still see many people posting, that hate the things i mentioned. but still love the car on balance. I had a 24hr demo drive and i loved it. I really want to focus on the positive, and STILL think it's the best choice for me, all factors considered.

I'm just thankful for this forum. I feel better that at least i'm going in with my eyes open. I feel sorry for buyers that don't know about this community or don't use it. To think about getting a Tesla and then finding out about all these issues after laying down about 60k is really scary. And i definitely see how longer time owners are feeling betrayed with these updates.

The UI is probably the least of my concerns, since i'm sure i'll be able to deal with it better than those that had v10. Loud humming from heat pump area, neutered console USB, build issues, lack of (and decreasing) support/concern for the customer, and insane comments from Elon, really have me worried.

Agreed. The UI is much less of a worry than phantom braking. If they could fix that, I'd gladly push 10 buttons to turn my seat heater on.

Don't play chess with a pigeon. It knocks over the pieces, craps on the board, and then struts around like it won the game.

You guys just need to stop responding to TT and/or put him on ignore. He's never going to stop this insane argument that everything is peachy-keen with V11. Everytime you post something, he's going to come back with his usual textual diarrhea to refute it. I learned in the 8th grade that if you just ignore the bullies, they'll leave you alone. At this point it's a religious issue, and you're never going to change someone's mind about religion and if you don't belong to his religion, everything you believe is wrong and we know how intolerant religions are of others' beliefs.

Just to beat a dead horse here

Never wrestle with a pig. You end up muddy and tired but the pig actually enjoys it.

You guys just need to stop responding to TT and/or put him on ignore. He's never going to stop this insane argument that everything is peachy-keen with V11. Everytime you post something, he's going to come back with his usual textual diarrhea to refute it. I learned in the 8th grade that if you just ignore the bullies, they'll leave you alone. At this point it's a religious issue, and you're never going to change someone's mind about religion and if you don't belong to his religion, everything you believe is wrong and we know how intolerant religions are of others' beliefs.
Actually if you put Texy on ignore the thread becomes completely rational!

Insane argument? Insane that I prefer v11 over v10? And I am the zealot? Show me when I said v10 was bad? I loved v10, I now prefer v11. I have never ever said everything is peachy-keen with v11...I've always said I prefer it. You don't. That's fine. I think it will get better and better. What I am saying, and have always said, is that, in spite of some really inane non issues, it is no more 'dangerous' to use than v10. Pretty much proven too. That is what I am saying. Religious issue? Wow, you are so far off the deep end. So now my preference and and pretty much proving that v11 is no more 'unsafe' than v10 and its religious? Laughable.

Yes, you are right, this thread has done its course. The safety complaints about v11 have been pitiful at best. Not one of you can show v11 is any more dangerous to use than v10, not one! I may be stubborn about my appreciation for v11, but thankfully I am capable of learning new things. To the people who say "I hate my car now" I can only say, THANK YOU for the laughs.

Now please put me on ignore as I don't think your blood pressures can handle free minded people that refuse to join you in the sheep pen

Last edited:
As a future owner (soon, i hope, with an Austin build), i almost canceled my reservation because of a number of issues i'm worried about. The UI is probably the least of my concerns, since i'm sure i'll be able to deal with it better than those that had v10. Loud humming from heat pump area, neutered console USB, build issues, lack of (and decreasing) support/concern for the customer, and insane comments from Elon, really have me worried.

But in the end i realized i don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water. I'm SO eager to get the car to find out for myself. I'm lucky enough to be able to keep my current car for a year and then i'll make the final commitment to keep one and sell one. I still see many people posting, that hate the things i mentioned. but still love the car on balance. I had a 24hr demo drive and i loved it. I really want to focus on the positive, and STILL think it's the best choice for me, all factors considered.

I'm just thankful for this forum. I feel better that at least i'm going in with my eyes open. I feel sorry for buyers that don't know about this community or don't use it. To think about getting a Tesla and then finding out about all these issues after laying down about 60k is really scary. And i definitely see how longer time owners are feeling betrayed with these updates.
I wish I’d found this forum before getting the Tesla. I didn’t realise I was buying into a plaything, I really thought I was buying a car first and foremost, now I realise it’s more akin to an Xbox or PS (although you can choose what game you play on them).
My own feelings now are I would have leased something else but I can see why others would like them. It’s just not my cup of java🤷🏼‍♂️

I wish I’d found this forum before getting the Tesla. I didn’t realise I was buying into a plaything, I really thought I was buying a car first and foremost, now I realise it’s more akin to an Xbox or PS (although you can choose what game you play on them).
My own feelings now are I would have leased something else but I can see why others would like them. It’s just not my cup of java🤷🏼‍♂️
Knowledge is the treasure of the wise man i.e. research, research, research

Knowledge is the treasure of the wise man
I’ve never read up on any of the other multiple cars I’ve ever owned either, other than a magazine review. Just a 1/2hr test drive and where’s the paperwork. Therein lies the problem, I thought I was buying into a car, not a rich egomaniacs plaything. If Elon wants to experiment with living things then he should go back a couple of decades and get some white mice. I’m not a mouse and don’t like being treated as one personally🤣

I’ve never read up on any of the other multiple cars I’ve ever owned either, other than a magazine review. Just a 1/2hr test drive and where’s the paperwork. Therein lies the problem, I thought I was buying into a car, not a rich egomaniacs plaything. If Elon wants to experiment with living things then he should go back a couple of decades and get some white mice. I’m not a mouse and don’t like being treated as one personally🤣
So apart from not having the defogger and heat seaters button at the bottom of the screen, what other egomaniacal and sinister things have happened to your car? LOL

So apart from not having the defogger and heat seaters button at the bottom of the screen, what other egomaniacal and sinister things have happened to your car? LOL
I didn’t mention either of those things lol. I dislike the fact any control in a car moves effectively overnight. I’d be the same if any other car manufacturers broke in my car overnight and swapped the indicator stalk with the wipers as a crude example lol.
His drive towards making cars driverless community Xboxes with the added benefit of it getting you from A to B is not something I want. As you’ve lived in UK you should know, we like independence & anywhere outside London public transport sucks hairy ball sacks🤣

I tried to skip to a part in Spotify song. For the life of me I could not find the progress bar. So eventually I stopped the car and studied the display. It took me a minute to discover that it has become 1 pixel high. I liked the previous one better. A line thick enough to operate.

Reactions: COS Blue
The KC service center replied to me yesterday. He said "Apologies on the delay! Due to the uniqueness of the request, I had to run it by a few of our service advisors / service techs to see if this was a possibility. Unfortunately, they confirmed it is not an option to move from V11 to V10."

Uniqueness? There's no possible way that I'm the first one to have ever ask to reflash the OS.

His reply makes me think I was asking to just strip out the awful V11 UI. I would gladly go back to whatever stable build was in operation before the holiday update. I would gladly give up the blind spot cameras (it's laggy and in the wrong spot anyways), and the remote sentry view (my kids thought it was funny the car told them to look both ways before crossing, but it's really a toybox-like feature for me).

I know it's possible to reflash an Android's OS at home; surely the Tesla community has an equivalent operation.

-The-honeymoon-with-my-SR+-is-over,
Travis
I'm really in danger (again) of misquoting something @wk057 wrote a long time ago, so bear that in mind...
I remember him saying that an update wasn't just a single firmware flash, like it would be on a phone. Instead, the car is a bunch of separate but connected "things" that all get updated at once. Hence, all of those system would also have to roll back, precisely and in the right order with all the checksums and ack/nacks and certificates and whatever magic may or may not be involved all working together. In other words, it's hard. I think (again, caveat) he said rolling back a couple of versions was possible, but big rollbacks were major and probably not possible for anyone outside Tesla.

Definitely more involved than flashing a phone, as there are dozens of modules involved. While it can be done, I don't believe Tesla has ever done it for anyone.

If it's manually rolled back to something else this puts the car out of sync with Tesla's firmware servers and it won't usually receive any updates until someone on their end corrects that.

There's no public info available for doing anything like this, as far as I'm aware, but myself and several others are certainly capable of installing almost any firmware version on any car. Regardless, if your car is in-warranty and you want to maintain access to the mobile app and such... I'd suggest just letting it be.

I think one of the main effects the V11 update has had is to make owners much less likely to blindly install a major software update. It's going to be more like,
Apple: Hey! here's a beta macOS update. Want to fight your computer for a couple months? Download here:
Me: Nope, been there, done that, never again.
Normally, I would be OK with this approach. However, the firmware updates are _forced_ on us; there is no way to stay on a version that you prefer.
Actually, I am thankful to the V11 because it caused my to dig deeper and understand the Tesla philosophy. And discover that I am not the right customer for them. Elon can dream or have nightmares - I will not participate. Will keep the car for now, until someone more aligned with my philosophy comes up with an alternative. In the meantime, I hope they don’t screw it even more to force me to go back to ICE.
I realized that there was a reason why most of my cars were VW/Audi/Porsche…

Definitely more involved than flashing a phone, as there are dozens of modules involved. While it can be done, I don't believe Tesla has ever done it for anyone.

If it's manually rolled back to something else this puts the car out of sync with Tesla's firmware servers and it won't usually receive any updates until someone on their end corrects that.

There's no public info available for doing anything like this, as far as I'm aware, but myself and several others are certainly capable of installing almost any firmware version on any car. Regardless, if your car is in-warranty and you want to maintain access to the mobile app and such... I'd suggest just letting it be.
In general, software downgrades are very, very difficult in complex systems like cars. It is certainly possible to factor in that option in the development process but it will slow it down so much that everyone prefers to “fall forward” and forget about downgrading.

Also, we are focused on the UI but there are many other things in the background that they fixed (I hope). That is why “skinning” the interface is such a good practice. Given that we are talking about deadly equipment such move would be somewhat complicated to Tesla but, hey, Sonic The Hedgehog is more interesting.