Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV's to pay Road Tax from April 2025

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems a bit unfair to tax it on vehicles already registered, they never did that when they reformed the VED in 2017. Will old diesels registered before then still be £20 per year? Seems a bit daft if this is correct. We all knew VED was coming at some point but I thought that it would be phased in over a few years with a lower amount than petrol/diesel rather than straight to the standard VED amount. Its going to be a hard sell to convert many die hard petrol/diesel users now that the cost benefits are dwindling all the time.

I did wonder why the government made us renew our VED each year for a zero fee but I guess they kept it like that in case one day, they wanted to charge.
There are cars out there like a VW Golf 1.6TDI and BMW 320d Efficiency Dynamics etc that fall under 99g of CO2 emissions that are currently £0.00 VED. Are these vehicles moving into the £20 category?

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I was expecting a phased approach but cannot complain as I haven’t have been paying £0 a year for the past 8 years. I presume the luxury tax is only due for 5 years after registration i.e. cars registered before 2020 will only pay £165/year?

As others mentioned I’m not pleased if they don’t enforce the charge on ALL cars regardless of how old they are. I was assuming that they’d calculate the charge on some kind of EV efficiency to fall in line with emissions.

I was expecting a phased approach but cannot complain as I haven’t have been paying £0 a year for the past 8 years. I presume the luxury tax is only due for 5 years after registration i.e. cars registered before 2020 will only pay £165/year?

As others mentioned I’m not pleased if they don’t enforce the charge on ALL cars regardless of how old they are. I was assuming that they’d calculate the charge on some kind of EV efficiency to fall in line with emissions.
The expensive car supplement only applies to cars sold from April 2025, so is not a retrospective charge. This means £40k+ EVs sold today will be a little cheaper to run from 2025 vs new, and a more attractive used car purchase too.

I will not paying this until March 2026.
You can buy VED anytime you like even if you already have a valid VED so renew your Tax in March 2025 at £0 and you are good till March 2026.
It may be possible to wait until the last couple of days of March and then buy it forward for April. not sure if that is a thing still or if it will charge the new rate ( I will check at the end of the month) either way I will renew start of March then if possible again at the end of the month to grab the extra month.

I for one refuse to pay the 'expensive vehicle tax' on principle that an EV with decent range is usually above 40K. If this remains the case when i change my MY then it will be back to ICE for me. No way am i paying, at current rates and likely to increase, £520 a year to use the dreadful pot hole ridden crumbling excuses we call 'roads'. I'll buy something at 39K instead.

Reactions: Smileysam and M1tch
Anyone who says this stuff is never retrospective has a short memory.
When they canned the luxury car tax for EV's they did it for existing EV's not just newly sold ones. I posted a guide for the MS and MX owners advising how to renew your tax ( at £0) the day it kicked in and get a refund on any outstanding months at the old rate. 😁
The EVS exemption was always set to expire in 2025 unless extended.
I have no problem with paying VED but the "Expensive Vehicle Supplement" (like most flat taxes) is a terrible tax which means a mid range BMW pays the same as a Veyron.
It was supposed to target luxury vehicles but the threshold has NEVER been raised so with inflation + EV new prices it is now a "Mid range Vehicle" supplement.
govt published a consultation doc a few years back which basically admitted it was a terrible idea in the first place and invited comments on how to improve /replace it and since then............ nothing.

This is also going to lead to a big short term distortion of the market. buying an EV in March 25 VS April 25 is going to save you about £1800 over 5 years.

Reactions: candida
I for one refuse to pay the 'expensive vehicle tax' on principle that an EV with decent range is usually above 40K. If this remains the case when i change my MY then it will be back to ICE for me. No way am i paying, at current rates and likely to increase, £520 a year to use the dreadful pot hole ridden crumbling excuses we call 'roads'. I'll buy something at 39K instead.
MG4 Trophy Edition looking more appealing by the day.

There's a few cars that would be under the threshold. Peugeot e-2008 GT springs to mind.

Reactions: Mr H
In April 2025 we will be look back at and laugh at how THIS was the thing we were worried about in 2025.
Well assuming anyone remembers to print out the internet before the power goes down for the last time.
Will probably cheer up everyone in the bunker for a while.
They say laughter is the best medicine but I am not sure how well it works on hunger and radiation sickness.

Its not really retrospective. We already 'pay' vehicle tax. It just happens to be rated at £0. DVLA still insist you tax your vehicle - which I've just done. All they've done is change the rate as they have done numerous times before.
(Warning - tax anorak musings...)
That reminds me of a similar misconception from my FSA exam days about why does a 'nil-rate band' apply in inheritance tax calculations - i.e. why have a rate of 'nil'? Evidently, the reason for it is that the government can change a 'rate' at any time but to change something from exempt to taxable requires royal assent.