Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Except for being electric is it really that good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only owned my tesla mod 3 for a few days but I have to say it in many ways is not as good as my 2018 hyundai sonata. First I have the 2019 3 long distance dual motor with fsd. The hyundai I was able to drive long distances with only jiggling the wheel. I did not have to enter a destination to be able to use its lane keep assist with adaptive speed control. The tesla still has the same problems about merging, exiting or taking a Y split. I do like the electric motor. It is very comfotable. Lots of visibility. Pretty quiet but does have some air leak noise. It grips the road nicely. The acceleration is great except that I keep it in chill. The regeneration takes some getting used to. The screen is really nice, I thought I would not like it. But I am old and wanted a car to really help me with my driving. I missed the new new computer by a few days but have been assured it would be replaced before the end of the year. Anyone want to take a bet on that, lol. Oh my software is 2019.12.2. One last thing, I live in a pretty small town that now has a whopping 3 t e s l a s. (Dang autocorrect).

I have only owned my tesla mod 3 for a few days but I have to say it in many ways is not as good as my 2018 hyundai sonata. First I have the 2019 3 long distance dual motor with fsd. The hyundai I was able to drive long distances with only jiggling the wheel. I did not have to enter a destination to be able to use its lane keep assist with adaptive speed control. The tesla still has the same problems about merging, exiting or taking a Y split. I do like the electric motor. It is very comfotable. Lots of visibility. Pretty quiet but does have some air leak noise. It grips the road nicely. The acceleration is great except that I keep it in chill. The regeneration takes some getting used to. The screen is really nice, I thought I would not like it. But I am old and wanted a car to really help me with my driving. I missed the new new computer by a few days but have been assured it would be replaced before the end of the year. Anyone want to take a bet on that, lol. Oh my software is 2019.12.2. One last thing, I live in a pretty small town that now has a whopping 3 t e s l a s. (Dang autocorrect).
Let's see. First congrats. Second. Your question is purely subjective and only you can truly answer it. My opinion, Hell yes! Your statement about having to enter a destination to use lane assist or adaptive speed is incorrect. That is all part of the Autopilot and two swipes down with the right stalk takes care of that. Now, if you have to enter a destination that would be Nav on Autopilot which enables exit and off ramp and soon other things. There is no way your Sonata would automatically take an exit without having a destination entered, the car is not clairvoyant, not to mention Hyundai is not even capable of that yet. Not sure what you are experiencing or expecting the car to be doing that its not. Also not sure what you are talking about with regards to merging, exiting, and the y split, yes it has some issues, but more and more get ironed out everyday and with every update. Pretty sure your Hyundai didn't apply software updates over the air for free. Talk to people who have been driving AP for awhile and they will tell you it continually improves. Air noise, sure, but personally I expect to hear more air noise and road noise when there is no engine. Personally I feel that any Tesla is miles beyond a Sonata.

You don’t have to enter a destination to use autopilot. Without a destination it just keeps you in the lane and adjusts speed. You can turn off Nav on Autopilot, speed based lane changes.

Right and even with auto steering off it will also vibrate the wheel if you cross lanes with no blinker and it does blind spot as well, but it alarms you fairly late compared to other vehicles.

Reactions: cwmagui
Let's see. First congrats. Second. Your question is purely subjective and only you can truly answer it. My opinion, Hell yes! Your statement about having to enter a destination to use lane assist or adaptive speed is incorrect. That is all part of the Autopilot and two swipes down with the right stalk takes care of that. Now, if you have to enter a destination that would be Nav on Autopilot which enables exit and off ramp and soon other things. There is no way your Sonata would automatically take an exit without having a destination entered, the car is not clairvoyant, not to mention Hyundai is not even capable of that yet. Not sure what you are experiencing or expecting the car to be doing that its not. Also not sure what you are talking about with regards to merging, exiting, and the y split, yes it has some issues, but more and more get ironed out everyday and with every update. Pretty sure your Hyundai didn't apply software updates over the air for free. Talk to people who have been driving AP for awhile and they will tell you it continually improves. Air noise, sure, but personally I expect to hear more air noise and road noise when there is no engine. Personally I feel that any Tesla is miles beyond a Sonata.

I agree with most your points. But Tesla’s don’t have “air noise” due to lack of engine noise. They have road noise because of lack of insulation (probably to keep weight down). I cannot hear my Jeep Summit engine cruising on the highway. With the 8 speed transmission the RPM is low, the front and side windows are acoustic double glass and the car has active noise cancelation. It is much quieter than my model 3. There are dozens of threads on the topic in case you missed it. Mods, tire choices and complaints. I’ve applied several mods to make it more tolerable. Nothing drastic, expensive or hard to do. It’s almost acceptable now. My reference is an extremely quiet vehicle. But my guess is their are even quieter vehicles and the OP might be used to even quieter (Lexus, MB etc.). Only time I’m hear my Jeep engine is when I floor it, it’s only a 6 cylinder.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I agree with most your points. But Tesla’s don’t have “air noise” due to lack of engine noise. They have road noise because of lack of insulation (probably to keep weight down). I cannot hear my Jeep Summit engine cruising on the highway. With the 8 speed transmission the RPM is low, the front and side windows are acoustic double glass and the car has active noise cancelation. It is much quieter than my model 3. There are dozens of threads on the topic in case you missed it. Mods, tire choices and complaints. I’ve applied several mods to make it more tolerable. Nothing drastic, expensive or hard to do. It’s almost acceptable now. My reference is an extremely quiet vehicle. But my guess is their are even quieter vehicles and the OP might be used to even quieter (Lexus, MB etc.). Only time I’m hear my Jeep engine is when I floor it, it’s only a 6 cylinder.
Could be.....I have read posts on noise for sure, the two times I have ridden in a model 3 one of which was a 1.5 hr test drive last week (purchasing in Sept) I specifically listened for noise and wasn't really bothered by what I heard. For perspective though I drive a piece of crap Prius and a BMW X5, my BMW is much nosier by comparison. The only wind noise if noticed was at the top of the windshield and the mirrors, neither was enough for me to even bother focusing on. Now that I am really thinking about it none of the vehicles I have owned have been as quiet as the Model 3. 68 VW Bug, 69 Ford Bronco, '80 Toyota Corolla, 80's Volvo, 2005 Volvo S40 R design, 2013 VW GTI, 2001 Mustang, 2006 BMW 330 XI, 2013 BMW X3, 2013 BMW 135i, and the two others I mentioned. Guess I own loud cars, or my 26 years of working on jet fighters for the Navy has taken a toll on my hearing, LOL.

Last edited:
Could be.....I have read posts on noise for sure, the two times I have ridden in a model 3 one of which was a 1.5 hr test drive last week (purchasing in Sept) I specifically listened for noise and wasn't really bothered by what I heard. For perspective though I drive a piece of crap Prius and a BMW X5, my BMW is much nosier by comparison. The only wind noise if noticed was at the top of the windshield and the mirrors, neither was enough for me to even bother focusing on. Now that I am really thinking about it none of the vehicles I have owned have been as quiet as the Model 3. 68 VW Bug, 69 Ford Bronco, '80 Toyota Corolla, 80's Volvo, 2005 Volvo S40 R design, 2013 VW GTI, 2001 Mustang, 2012 BMW 330, 2013 BMW x3, 2013 BMW 135i, and the two others I mentioned. Guess I own loud cars, or my 26 years of working on jet fighters for the Navy has taken a toll on my hearing, LOL.

The car seems most sensitive to road texture. Some highways are fine. Others can be pretty bad. Off highway is generally fine to. I’m not that fast a driver either. It gets pretty bad as you get up in speed unless the road is ultra smooth.

The car seems most sensitive to road texture. Some highways are fine. Others can be pretty bad. Off highway is generally fine to. I’m not that fast a driver either. It gets pretty bad as you get up in speed unless the road is ultra smooth.
Well I'll give you that too...I'm in CA and after living in MA for 3 years I don't think I have seen worse roads anywhere else.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Well I'll give you that too...I'm in CA and after living in MA for 3 years I don't think I have seen worse roads anywhere else.

To be fair it has nothing to do with condition or potholes (which is a separate issue). The road could have been freshly paved and be awful or a worn road sound fine (as long as you can navigate the holes). It’s what they use for material on some roads.

I'm confused. Your first sentence says that in many ways the 3 is not as good as your previous car, but aside from the single misunderstanding, they never get enumerated.

As folks have pointed out, you certainly can drive long distances in the 3 "with only jiggling the wheel" if you so choose with no destination set, and the results will be better and safer than on the Hyundai.

Everything else you say is either positive things about the 3 or things that you say are the same...

Did the self-driving functions in your Sonata ever get better?

They have in my Model 3. A year ago they were similar to Nissan ProPilot, the same car is very different today.

Personally I’ve seen more hype on the improvement in the last 6 months than actual change.

I had “Auto Steer” 6 months ago, and the navigation would suggest lanes. And I could change lanes with the signal. I have Auto Steer today and now “lane change” suggestions are just integrated differently (now referred to as NoA). It’s still essentially the same. The lane suggestion now turns on the blinker and wiggles the wheel. A Major break through !!!

Don’t get me wrong. I love the car and I know it has huge potential. But what I’ve seen as for improvements in EAP in 6 months has been rather small/disappointing.

It’s more marketing and tweaks than anything substantial. My guess it’s partly hype while they get HW3 and serious Neural Net training done that they have thrown us a few dog bones. Like DashCam, Sentry, games and NoA (automatic blinker from lane suggestion).

And my understanding is even a year ago, or even several years ago it could hold a lane. Or even switch lanes with hand on wheel and blinker. And as far as I’m concerned that’s all it still does today. Mind you, it does that fairly well.

One pet peeve of mine is it does not even slow down to exit ramp speed. How hard can that be?

Unless I am testing a new release or feeling brave. I cancel AP about a mile before every exchange. That’s pretty much where we are at and where we were at 6 months ago.

Wait, there is one bit of intelligence it has added to be fair. It knows how to pass cars and stay out of left lane. That is probably the only intelligence that has been added for quite some time.

Elon gets a B+ for effort though.

To be fair, I'm hearing more noise in the cabin than I did in my Cadillac. That's to be expected - the Caddy has plenty of insulation, noise tuning and -- in one of those "I'm surprised Tesla hasn't done this already because it's just software" kind of things - active noise cancellation.

That said... the Model 3 has a superior stereo system (if a clunky music interface)... and I never drive without the radio on... so it doesn't really matter to me.

To be fair, I'm hearing more noise in the cabin than I did in my Cadillac. That's to be expected - the Caddy has plenty of insulation, noise tuning and -- in one of those "I'm surprised Tesla hasn't done this already because it's just software" kind of things - active noise cancellation.

That said... the Model 3 has a superior stereo system (if a clunky music interface)... and I never drive without the radio on... so it doesn't really matter to me.

Drowning noise with music can get tiring though.

Yeah it really surprises me Tesla’s don’t have active noise cancelation. And it would require specific hardware to implement that does not exist in the cars. On my Jeep it cannot be disabled so it’s hard to know how much it actually helps. Some super advanced active noise cancelation systems have sensors(mics) on the suspension itself.

Reactions: oddirt and dmurphy
Drowning noise with music can get tiring though.

Yeah it really surprises me Tesla’s don’t have active noise cancelation. And it would require specific hardware to implement that does not exist in the cars. On my Jeep it cannot be disabled so it’s hard to know how much it actually helps. Some super advanced active noise cancelation systems have sensors(mics) on the suspension itself.

It's not entirely drowning-it-out, per se. Just that I'm catching a bit more road noise than the Cadillac. But no engine or transmission noise which adds to the feeling of quiet unless I'm on a really lousy road. (and this is NJ, so we're surrounded with really lousy roads.)

For ANC, there are of course microphones in the cabin - for the voice control, if nothing else. it may not be completely ideal but I'm sure they could work something out with the mic input to discern the noise and be able to cancel it out in the audio stream. Not a whole lot different than my Bose QC25's - listen to the ambient noise with a mic, filter through a DSP (can be done in SW - not sure if the Tesla MCU has the processing power?), and inject the inverse into the audio.

... Some super advanced active noise cancelation systems have sensors(mics) on the suspension itself.

What vehicles have that? Noise cancellation works by sampling the noise that the listener hears and providing "opposite" sounds to effectively cancel that sound. Having microphones on the suspension would pick up sounds that the suspension is making, but those may be a totally different frequency (sound) than what the listener is hearing because the frequency of the sounds that make it from the suspension to the listeners ears could be very different, so it wouldn't work effectively.

Reactions: oddirt
The noise of our Model 3 is the big reason why I don't like it. The S is very quiet in comparison, especially on the standard 19" wheels. Our previous E-Class Mercedes is much quieter than our S. People say I'm sensitive to noise though. I wear ear plugs in movie theaters for example.

You sure Your Jeep has double glass? It May have acoustic film on the glass but in 99% sure it dosnt have double glass.

Has anyone tried the sun shade that fits under the glass roof? If so does it also help with noise? I think much of the cabin noise is attributed to the fact sound just bounces off all the glass on the inside.

You sure Your Jeep has double glass? It May have acoustic film on the glass but in 99% sure it dosnt have double glass.

Has anyone tried the sun shade that fits under the glass roof? If so does it also help with noise? I think much of the cabin noise is attributed to the fact sound just bounces off all the glass on the inside.

Yes, see my signature. I have BOTH sunshades, purely to help cut noise. Front one DEFINITELY helps. Rear is hard to say, but I think it helps too.

As far as Jeep Summit goes It definitely has “acoustic glass”. Limited had none, Overland has it on the windshield and Summits have it on the Windshield and the side windows. It’s discussed a lot on the forums when people need windshield replacements that they get what was factory. I had a 14 Limited, an 15 Overland and a 17 Summit all same core WK2 platform. And the Summit is super quiet. That was one of the main reasons I upgraded it twice. It’s like riding in a caddy. So my reference of a quiet car is fairly high. Jeep did a ton of things to make the Summit quiet.

You can see references to acoustic glass here:

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit: 6 Things to Know - MotorTrend

Noise treatment are cumulative. Lots of little things start to add up significantly.

I just added the extra door gaskets last night :) have not had a chance to highway test it yet. Cost $20.00 30 min of work.

• Informative
Reactions: 22522