Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I have an early reservation.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn't expecting this but I saw this in my email today.

1702200160712.png

I am priced way out of the tri motor I had signed up for now so this would be the configuration. But it really does not have enough range to tow our large trailer.

1702200220387.png

No idea if this qualifies for any tax incentives... Kinda bummed at the price tag and lack of range (for towing, that is). Probably have to keep our old Dodge 3500 for towing our 28 foot toy hauler any long distance. Would need to sell the wifes low mileage Volvo..

I really want this truck, but it seems like a poor financial decision. Model 3 isn't even paid off yet... Need a few more months. Interest rates are sky high... I don't know what to do, but my number has been called.

None of the Foundation Series Cybertrucks will be eligible for the $7500 Federal tax incentive, because they exceed the $80K cap.

And the only way to get the range you're apparently going to need is to purchase the $16K Range Extender option. Becomes a very, very expensive proposition. Even more so if you go for the Tri-motor Cyberbeast!

A dilemma, for sure.

Like you, my reservation was for the top-tier, Tri-motor trim. At current pricing, there's no way I'll pay that. The regular (not Foundation) dual-motor AWD is the only trim I could even remotely consider.

My guess is that the conversion rate of current reservation holders will be fairly low, due to the current pricing. Prices will come down once production ramps and that very large back-order queue dissipates. Tesla, much more so than other automakers, tends to be very sensitive to clearing price.

This is an example where earlier reservation holders are likely at a disadvantage. Folks at the back end of the queue, and people putting in reservations today, will probably get a much better deal.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Your number has not been called. You are being offered a chance to get in on the ground floor, playing through the nose for that status. You are no more required to take this offer than being required to buy an existing car for $1000 while you wait for a production model to come up.

I had thought that Foundation purchasers also had the option of paying $500 for the range extender but I can't recall where I read it (and it may have been that you could reserve one of the first ones for $500.) If that is the case, it might help your towing use-case but it doesn't help your financial concerns. And I thought ALL of us have learned the hard way not to buy something that is 'coming' from Tesla.

Regardless, this isn't the deal for you.

Let it pass but hold onto your reservation for a short while. When your offer to put in an order at the announced pricing comes up (months or over a year from now) then you will have to make a Go/NoGo decision.

From what your wrote, a CT is a bad choice for your family but you really want it. Your wrote that meant selling a low mileage Volvo (and I assume give her the M3 unless she wants a CT for her daily drive.) And keeping your truck to pull your trailer. Given that Tesla's mission is to green personal transportation in order to save the world, then your doing so would certainly not move the world closer to green transportation.

As for the financial decision, yes it is a poor one. Unequivocally.

The reservation number is randomized, so it's useless to determine your position in the queue.

For those purchasing, due to a quirk in the USA credit, my understanding is if you lease the vehicle, the leaseholder can still get the $7500 credit no matter the vehicle cost or your income. This can be passed on as a lower lease payment. Doesn't mean they will pass it on, but they should. Anyway, it's worth looking at the numbers where you might not normally consider a lease.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Wasn't expecting this but I saw this in my email today.

View attachment 998075
I am priced way out of the tri motor I had signed up for now so this would be the configuration. But it really does not have enough range to tow our large trailer.

View attachment 998076

No idea if this qualifies for any tax incentives... Kinda bummed at the price tag and lack of range (for towing, that is). Probably have to keep our old Dodge 3500 for towing our 28 foot toy hauler any long distance. Would need to sell the wifes low mileage Volvo..

I really want this truck, but it seems like a poor financial decision. Model 3 isn't even paid off yet... Need a few more months. Interest rates are sky high... I don't know what to do, but my number has been called.
You could get it, just because it a CT. Then if you don't like it, sell it in a year.

You could get it, just because it a CT. Then if you don't like it, sell it in a year.
Ya this is what I keep thinking too. Put it on turo for a week they month to help with the payment (don't work forever but certainly for a while)...

Ya range extender is $500 now and $15500 later in the year. But that means you can't role it into the loan and the $500 is non-refundable.

So probably just better to get that later.I expect it to be years before I see a pull through charger in the way to the dunes anyways...

Well the regular version be cheaper? I'm not sure why that would be. The only real thing the founders edition seems to add is the sightly better interior but also lifetime unlimited data (I have it in the 3 and it's nice to not have a monthly/yearly data charge).

Reactions: zoomer0056
The only real thing the founders edition seems to add is the sightly better interior but also lifetime unlimited data (I have it in the 3 and it's nice to not have a monthly/yearly data charge).

Mobile data charges through tesla are $99 a year. If thats the only difference (I dont know this, I am not following the cybertruck stuff), but $99 a year isnt a dent in a 100k truck price.

Well the regular version be cheaper? I'm not sure why that would be. The only real thing the founders edition seems to add is the sightly better interior but also lifetime unlimited data (I have it in the 3 and it's nice to not have a monthly/yearly data charge).

Using Tesla's past history as a guide, Model S, X, 3 and Y, why would you think CT will be the exception??

Unlimited lifetime data... Are we talking about that $100/ yr thing on a vehicle that most ppl kept for 3~6 yrs on average?

beewang

We plan to keep the cars for 10 years. so thats about $1000 in savings I guess. Nice to not have yet another subscription though.

1702239045288.png

If my early FSD reservation was $5000 (or what it $6000?) there where is the value for the rest of the things listed here?
How much is the Powershare Home Backup worth?
Can I just park the car in the garage and use it as a powerwall? SDGE is killing us for power $.86 per kWh from 4:00-9:00.
Could I instead charge at midnight night for $.16 a kWh then use the truck to power the house from 4:00-9:00? That would save us over $1000 a year on power too.

That would need to be a $12,000 option though?

We plan to keep the cars for 10 years. so thats about $1000 in savings I guess. Nice to not have yet another subscription though....
If my early FSD reservation was $5000 (or what it $6000?) there where is the value for the rest of the things listed here?
How much is the Powershare Home Backup worth?
Can I just park the car in the garage and use it as a powerwall? SDGE is killing us for power $.86 per kWh from 4:00-9:00.
Could I instead charge at midnight night for $.16 a kWh then use the truck to power the house from 4:00-9:00? That would save us over $1000 a year on power too.

It does sound like you are trying (really hard) to justify this expenditure. LOL! 🙃

My Thoughts:
- Keeping an EV for 10 yrs is the equivalent of using a 5-year-old cell phone. Not that it can't be done. Its more of why would you... Comparing my 4-year-old Model 3 to the 6-month-old Model Y, the difference is night and day. Not even close. Yes I know we all had the Honda / Toyota that we kept for 15+ yrs and still runs great!! But times are different now..

- If you are on SDG&E TOU (or any Utility Co. TOU Plan) plan, you have gotta have Solar with Battery backup (i.e. Tesla Power Wall), or why would you switch over to TOU.

Cheers!

beewang

It does sound like you are trying (really hard) to justify this expenditure. LOL! 🙃

My Thoughts:
- Keeping an EV for 10 yrs is the equivalent of using a 5-year-old cell phone. Not that it can't be done. Its more of why would you... Comparing my 4-year-old Model 3 to the 6-month-old Model Y, the difference is night and day. Not even close. Yes I know we all had the Honda / Toyota that we kept for 15+ yrs and still runs great!! But times are different now..

- If you are on SDG&E TOU (or any Utility Co. TOU Plan) plan, you have gotta have Solar with Battery backup (i.e. Tesla Power Wall), or why would you switch over to TOU.

Cheers!

beewang
Our solar is old, so no battery it wasn't a thing 12 years ago, I also do not want to dump 75k on a new solar system, because the roof will need to be replaced soon too. Break even on new solar systems is over 10 years with current labor costs so I'm not sure Solar is even worth while anymore due to NEM4. Power is almost expensive enough to consider buying a hybrid gas car next time around, but those have other issues.

Everyone is on TOU now I believe unless your riding out the end of your grandfathered years. But if you have an EV you basically need TOU to get the cheap overnight charging, there is no other way. I was always in the highest tier anyways (All electric household) so that means I would be charging the car at tier 4 rates most of the month, which is probably more expensive than Gas in an efficient car.

Other than the heat pump, I didn't really see much improvmenet on a model Y or new 3, faster infotainment I guess. In fact the new interiors feel cheaper with all the hard plastic, but I guess that is just my opinion. They removed the sonar and the radar, so I feel like the new cars are actually downgraded. Hardly a reason I would be will to pay another 60k more and start my payments over. But each to their own I guess. I prefer the 3's handling and efficiency, if I need to hold something larger then I just use my Truck or the wife's SUV.

I buy my phones with cash, usually update every 2 years but currently see no need to upgrade my phone either, prices are getting ridiculous just to have something slightly better. Rather save my money for other things...

Yea I want the truck, and have been waiting forever for it. But I don't think I am going to do it. I at least want to test drive it before buying. The price difference is too much. It was supposed to be faster and have more range for allot less money. I guess my salary just isn't keeping up with inflation...

Reactions: beewang