Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Except for being electric is it really that good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, see my signature. I have BOTH sunshades, purely to help cut noise. Front one DEFINITELY helps. Rear is hard to say, but I think it helps too.

As far as Jeep Summit goes It definitely has “acoustic glass”. Limited had none, Overland has it on the windshield and Summits have it on the Windshield and the side windows. It’s discussed a lot on the forums when people need windshield replacements that they get what was factory. I had a 14 Limited, an 15 Overland and a 17 Summit all same core WK2 platform. And the Summit is super quiet. That was one of the main reasons I upgraded it twice. It’s like riding in a caddy. So my reference of a quiet car is fairly high. Jeep did a ton of things to make the Summit quiet.

You can see references to acoustic glass here:

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit: 6 Things to Know - MotorTrend

Noise treatment are cumulative. Lots of little things start to add up significantly.

I just added the extra door gaskets last night :) have not had a chance to highway test it yet. Cost $20.00 30 min of work.
I had a ‘13 Trailhawk with the Hemi. I have a friend with a fully loaded ‘18 summit its quiet even with the Hemi, I was actually most impressed by the carpet it it. I think it’s quieter than my Lexus LX that is almost 1000 lbs heavier and was pushing twice the price of his summit. The WK2’s are nice vehicles. I got rid of my GC only because it didn’t live up to it’s off road ability promises, left me stranded a few times in bad spots and I had to use my winch more that I liked. On road and light off road the WK2 is hard to beat, I think It’s a perfect blend in the evolution of recient Chrysler the -> Jeep soul +MB mechanicals + Italian interior and style. The acoustic glass dosnt mean double glass it has a sound deadening coating. The only cars I’m aware of with double glass are: RR, Bentley, s class MB/maybach, Lexus LS, and the short lived VW phaeton.

Reactions: mswlogo
I had a ‘13 Trailhawk with the Hemi. I have a friend with a fully loaded ‘18 summit its quiet even with the Hemi, I was actually most impressed by the carpet it it. I think it’s quieter than my Lexus LX that is almost 1000 lbs heavier and was pushing twice the price of his summit. The WK2’s are nice vehicles. I got rid of my GC only because it didn’t live up to it’s off road ability promises, left me stranded a few times in bad spots and I had to use my winch more that I liked. On road and light off road the WK2 is hard to beat, I think It’s a perfect blend in the evolution of recient Chrysler the -> Jeep soul +MB mechanicals + Italian interior and style. The acoustic glass dosnt mean double glass it has a sound deadening coating. The only cars I’m aware of with double glass are: RR, Bentley, s class MB/maybach, Lexus LS, and the short lived VW phaeton.

I think we both agree the Summit is pretty quiet, I never did much off road with it, I mainly have it to haul stuff (2 trailers and Boat).

But I had to look up the acoustic glass thing. It's actually quite different than I thought.
One of the primary purposes is to allow a thinner glass to be used to reduce weight while still maintaining it to be acoustically as quiet as traditional thicker heavier glass and as strong/safe. "Acoustic" is a little misleading. Check it out.

How to Tell If You Have an Acoustic Windshield? - Better Soundproofing

Now to help get back on topic, you would think Acoustic glass would be a "thing" on Tesla's to get weight down if anything else. Maybe it has acoustic glass. That link describes how to tell what you have. Also not sure if all side the windows on cars are normally multi layer laminated, I believe acoustic glass is always multi layer.

I've done my best to speak my mind on this car, and will do so here as well.

In many ways, the Tesla DOES lag behind many mainstream ICE cars. It does so even at a more expensive price point simply because those manufacturers can spread those features over many more cars, and likely have better relationships / pricing with their suppliers too. So it has no Apple CarPlay / Android auto. It has weak infotainment. It's lacking seat ventilation. The interior trim pieces are on the same level as an Accord level type vehicle. There's no HUD option, no heated steering wheel, no WiFi hotspot, very limited ambient lighting, no 360 degree cameras, etc. You can get all of those features on a Honda Accord Hybrid Touring for just under $40k. For those that don't know, the Accord's Hybrid system operates almost like an EV with a range extender. Most of the time the ICE is decoupled from the drivetrain. So it's not a completely wacko comparison. ;)

So yes, you are paying for the electric drivetrain, and you are paying for the fact that Tesla is a fledgling automaker without the economies of scale of Honda has. But you're also getting, as others mentioned, the best EV drivetrain on the market. You're getting the best suite of driving assistants out there. You're also getting a vehicle that the manufacturer is constantly improving. You're getting lower cost of ownership, both fuel / energy and maintenance. And of course, zero emissions during driving. You're getting a full EV driving experience which means quiet, instant torque, one pedal driving, no shifting or drivetrain harshness, etc.

Is it worth it to you? Only you can answer that. In life almost everything is a tradeoff and Tesla's are no exception. But there are many redeeming qualities that make it a worthy choice vs. a conventional ICE vehicle. You can certainly see that the trade offs were worth it to me.

In many ways, the Tesla DOES lag behind many mainstream ICE cars. It does so even at a more expensive price point simply because those manufacturers can spread those features over many more cars, and likely have better relationships / pricing with their suppliers too. So it has no Apple CarPlay / Android auto. It has weak infotainment. It's lacking seat ventilation. The interior trim pieces are on the same level as an Accord level type vehicle. There's no HUD option, no heated steering wheel, no WiFi hotspot, very limited ambient lighting, no 360 degree cameras, etc. You can get all of those features on a Honda Accord Hybrid Touring for just under $40k. For those that don't know, the Accord's Hybrid system operates almost like an EV with a range extender. Most of the time the ICE is decoupled from the drivetrain. So it's not a completely wacko comparison. ;)

So yes, you are paying for the electric drivetrain, and you are paying for the fact that Tesla is a fledgling automaker without the economies of scale of Honda has. But you're also getting, as others mentioned, the best EV drivetrain on the market. You're getting the best suite of driving assistants out there. You're also getting a vehicle that the manufacturer is constantly improving. You're getting lower cost of ownership, both fuel / energy and maintenance. And of course, zero emissions during driving. You're getting a full EV driving experience which means quiet, instant torque, one pedal driving, no shifting or drivetrain harshness, etc.

Is it worth it to you? Only you can answer that. In life almost everything is a tradeoff and Tesla's are no exception. But there are many redeeming qualities that make it a worthy choice vs. a conventional ICE vehicle. You can certainly see that the trade offs were worth it to me.

We hear about the lack of Android Auto and the weak infotainment system quite regularly here.

That's why this article was especially amusing:

Tesla's in-car infotainment system ranked best in Consumer Reports survey

According to Consumer Reports surveys, Tesla owners like their infotainment system better than the owners of any other car like theirs, and by a pretty substantial margin.

Saying “Except for being electric is it really that good?” is kind of like saying “Except for the sugar is candy really that good?”. The electric motor and low center of gravity due to battery placement is the heart of what makes the car so awesome and so differentiated. Someone can’t just casually decouple the two, because without being electric it’s a drastically different car.

Many would argue that all the other tech in the car makes it much better than all the other cars, but even without that the electric motor alone makes it stand out.

We hear about the lack of Android Auto and the weak infotainment system quite regularly here.

According to Consumer Reports surveys, Tesla owners like their infotainment system better than the owners of any other car like theirs, and by a pretty substantial margin.
I thought this was an interesting article as well seeing all the flak Tesla gets on the forums concerning slacker no apple car play etc.

I have Apple CarPlay in my Jeep uConnect (one the best car entertainment systems) and although I miss some aspects. If I have to choose between the Tesla and the uConnect, I think I'd choose the Tesla.

Since Tesla does use Google maps and you have this massive screen nicely integrated, it works great compared to crammed 8.4" screen.

I think the Music User Interface is nicely done. I wish we had more choices of streaming services but what they have done works fairly well. I also use USB flash drive for music and that does have issues that uConnect handles much better.

But overall I think Tesla has done great and they have quite bit more work to do. But overall it's great.

I don't think Apple Play and Android Auto are absent due to lack of funds for licensing or even programmer resources. I think the Navigation is such an integral part of the car that the "Embedded Google Maps or Embedded Apple Maps" simply WOULD NOT WORK. That's why it's missing. I think Tesla made the right call, but they are stuck with a boat load of work to keep it competitive with other entertainment systems. They need to dump "FAT32", Build Smarter Metadata Database/Cache scheme (so it does not have to scan the whole freaken library every time you start up), Better Speech Recognition for music and a couple more mainstream streaming services. I can still stream my phone services to the car. I know that's a dated way of doing things.

My Jeep has Wifi Hot spot. I never ever need it. Most people don't. Partly marketing gimmick.

Oh and the "remote services" the uConnect has (start car, send locations to navigation, remote alarm etc. totally suck compared to Tesla).

I'm fine with lighting. I think that's partly individual taste.

I have heated wheel in my Jeep too. Use it ALL the time. But with the instant heat in the Model 3 I don't miss it one bit. In fact I rarely ever feel the need to turn on the seats either. I do in my Jeep though. Between the instant heat and what ever magical material they use on the seats I'm almost instantly comfortable as soon as I get in. It's pretty impressive. And I live in MA/NH.

I agree on some of your other points though. Many can get addressed with software over time.

Software could improve entertainment a lot (not that it's terrible now). Auto High Beam, Auto Wipers, Better Blind Spot, Add Rear Cross Path Detection, Improved NoA, Advanced Summon, Probably a lot better accident avoidance (including real low speed fender bender cases). And probably a bunch more I'm forgetting.

All with software. That doesn't even get into FSD.

Last edited:
I think we both agree the Summit is pretty quiet, I never did much off road with it, I mainly have it to haul stuff (2 trailers and Boat).

But I had to look up the acoustic glass thing. It's actually quite different than I thought.
One of the primary purposes is to allow a thinner glass to be used to reduce weight while still maintaining it to be acoustically as quiet as traditional thicker heavier glass and as strong/safe. "Acoustic" is a little misleading. Check it out.

How to Tell If You Have an Acoustic Windshield? - Better Soundproofing

Now to help get back on topic, you would think Acoustic glass would be a "thing" on Tesla's to get weight down if anything else. Maybe it has acoustic glass. That link describes how to tell what you have. Also not sure if all side the windows on cars are normally multi layer laminated, I believe acoustic glass is always multi layer.

I did some looking into the glass they use on the model 3. Made in Germany, pretty fancy thermal properties. No mention of acoustic properties.

THERMOCONTROL REFLECTING®

Reactions: mswlogo

That was the final nail in the coffin for me that Consumer Reports results are as worthless as..(insert your favorite euphemism). I mean, I don't regularly rag on the infotainment, but it's clear from many users here and other forums that it leaves a lot to be desired. I've sampled (or owned) all the latest from MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus, VW, etc. IMO, only Lexus lags behind in terms of functionality compared to the Tesla. I struggle to see how it can get voted ahead of hardly any of the systems out there.

I have Apple CarPlay in my Jeep uConnect (one the best car entertainment systems) and although I miss some aspects. If I have to choose between the Tesla and the uConnect, I think I'd choose the Tesla.

Since Tesla does use Google maps and you have this massive screen nicely integrated, it works great compared to crammed 8.4" screen.

I think the Music User Interface is nicely done. I wish we had more choices of streaming services but what they have done works fairly well. I also use USB flash drive for music and that does have issues that uConnect handles much better.

But overall I think Tesla has done great and they have quite bit more work to do. But overall it's great.

I don't think Apple Play and Android Auto are absent due to lack of funds for licensing or even programmer resources. I think the Navigation is such an integral part of the car that the "Embedded Google Maps or Embedded Apple Maps" simply WOULD NOT WORK. That's why it's missing. I think Tesla made the right call, but they are stuck with a boat load of work to keep it competitive with other entertainment systems. They need to dump "FAT32", Build Smarter Metadata Database/Cache scheme (so it does not have to scan the whole freaken library every time you start up), Better Speech Recognition for music and a couple more mainstream streaming services. I can still stream my phone services to the car. I know that's a dated way of doing things.

My Jeep has Wifi Hot spot. I never ever need it. Most people don't. Partly marketing gimmick.

Oh and the "remote services" the uConnect has (start car, send locations to navigation, remote alarm etc. totally suck compared to Tesla).

I'm fine with lighting. I think that's partly individual taste.

I have heated wheel in my Jeep too. Use it ALL the time. But with the instant heat in the Model 3 I don't miss it one bit. In fact I rarely ever feel the need to turn on the seats either. I do in my Jeep though. Between the instant heat and what ever magical material they use on the seats I'm almost instantly comfortable as soon as I get in. It's pretty impressive. And I live in MA/NH.

I agree on some of your other points though. Many can get addressed with software over time.

Software could improve entertainment a lot (not that it's terrible now). Auto High Beam, Auto Wipers, Better Blind Spot, Add Rear Cross Path Detection, Improved NoA, Advanced Summon, Probably a lot better accident avoidance (including real low speed fender bender cases). And probably a bunch more I'm forgetting.

All with software. That doesn't even get into FSD.

I'm not saying that the Tesla is the poorer car because of these reasons. But as a wise person told me a long time ago "you have to take the bitter with the sweet" and if you're coming from a loaded up ICE car, there definitely are some sacrifices to be made. So with the features that are available RIGHT NOW with the Tesla, yes, it is definitely lacking to many mainstream cars.

Reactions: seattlite2004
I was actually pretty negative on my M3 for the first 3 months or so. I continue to believe it's only OK in snow. I think the adaptive cruise control is far too conservative. Autopilot won't f%$king change lanes (it will, but it's like a frightened grandma). The touch screen is great. Navigation is great. The regenerative braking takes a bit of getting used to, but once you're there it's great (sidebar: Can they emulate Nissan's 'e-pedal', which can bring the vehicle to a complete stop, via software? They should do that). Summon is actually pretty slick. While the car may feel a bit louder at first, if you frequently go back and forth between it and ICE vehicles you'll realize it's pretty silent, and it's only the lack on engine noise that makes the wind noise more apparent.

I've never driven a car with a heated steering wheel, but remote heat makes this basically a none issue. I think the ambient lighting is pretty slick. My complaints generally have to do with it's status as an electric car (Would like longer range! Would like faster charging! Would like more charging stations!) but the M3 generally gets you the best package for all of these if you want to go electric. Also the hidden benefit of never stopping for gas cannot be overstated!

The noise of our Model 3 is the big reason why I don't like it. The S is very quiet in comparison, especially on the standard 19" wheels. Our previous E-Class Mercedes is much quieter than our S. People say I'm sensitive to noise though. I wear ear plugs in movie theaters for example.

I'm certain this is because I was coming from a 2010 Honda Accord Coupe.... but the first thing I thought when driving the Model 3 was how QUIET it was. Just silent when driving. Freeway sure you can hear the road, but still pretty quiet IMO.
I keep reading about road noise issues and starting to think I'm crazy for not hearing it?

New M3 owner here coming from an Audi A3 etron and, prior to that, a Volt. The Model 3 is overall quieter than either of those cars, which both suffered from rattles and odd cabin noises. The best feature for me, other than the sporty drive, is the navigation. There is such joy in saying "Navigate to nearest Starbucks" or whatnot, and having it find the destination in about 3 seconds. Last week, I needed to go to a community recycling center. "Navigate to recycle" brought up the route!

My input may be biased because my Model 3 is the Performance version and it is the finest driving car I have ever owned. Some of my prior cars were BMW's, Audi's, Honda's and Ferrairi's (among others). My M3P is a joy to drive and for the level of performance it delivers, nothing that I am aware of being currently available comes close price-wise. I have driven several Sonatas and although I cannot comment on any cruise control / AP-type features in them, they did not come close to my Tesla in terms of the driving experience -- at least for me as a car enthusiast.

To me, the M3P's drivetrain being electric is part of the overall package, but the driving experience and features are equally part of this car's charm...

Reactions: StealthP3D and Arpe