Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

excessive tire replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought new Model Y long range in Sept 2020; has about 10k on tires. On May 28, I replaced 2 tires in North Carolina (where I lived at the time) bc of slow leaks showing up on idiot lights - both tires had sidewall nails. Five weeks later I replaced another tire bc of sidewall puncture (in NJ where I now live). Today, Nov 16, I'm replacing another tire bc of sidewall puncture. 4 TIRES IN 5 MONTHS. I do not drive near construction sights, only "normal" roads. This is getting ridiculous and expensive. Anyone else having this issue? This may sound far fetched, but could it be that the 2 electric motors, which I'm assuming have magnets in them, could they be attracting all this road debris and then it's picked up by the tires? Just a thought. Thanks.

On a side note, when I was getting a tire patched at Discount Tire the other day, the guys there said that if you have the certs and go to an area where there isn't a Discount/America's tire available and you have an unrepairable flat... They said you can have the tire replaced wherever you want, and they'll fully reimburse you if you bring/save the receipt.

Upvote 0
You can be proactive and just buy couple tires from Tirerack. It has free road hazard protection.
Or wherever you get replacement tires get road hazard protection. Looks like you need it.

I was always buying tires at my Toyota dealer. They periodically had promo buy 3 get 1 free and included free road hazard for 2 years.
Hepled a lot with All Wheel drive minivan on run flats. Expensive tires with almost 0 chance to repair them.

Upvote 0
You can be proactive and just buy couple tires from Tirerack. It has free road hazard protection.
Or wherever you get replacement tires get road hazard protection. Looks like you need it.
There are a bunch of caveats with Tire Rack's free road hazard... If you read the terms and conditions, it does NOT cover failure as a result of defects. It also does NOT cover run-flat damage, which means if you drive on a flat tire. It also does not cover damage from under-inflation...

If you read Discount Tire's terms and conditions, it explicitly states that it DOES cover failure as a result of defects.. And it also explicitly states:
There is no prorating, no disqualification for any reason such as run-on damage and no mileage adjustment. It is the very best tire certificate program we know of.
Note how it says, there is no disqualification for _any reason_. The only requirement is that the tire still has to have legal tread left, as in the tire still had an expectation of being able to be in service.

Upvote 0
There are a bunch of caveats with Tire Rack's free road hazard... If you read the terms and conditions, it does NOT cover failure as a result of defects. It also does NOT cover run-flat damage, which means if you drive on a flat tire. It also does not cover damage from under-inflation...

If you read Discount Tire's terms and conditions, it explicitly states that it DOES cover failure as a result of defects.. And it also explicitly states:

Note how it says, there is no disqualification for _any reason_. The only requirement is that the tire still has to have legal tread left, as in the tire still had an expectation of being able to be in service.
Good to know. Never bought from Tirerack myself. Always purchased from local dealers on specials and always got taken care off.
Though they had their own caveats. 1st year or 12k replacement of tire and work covered. 2nd year or up to 24k - prorated.
Never had prorated but run flats were replaced at no cost to me.

Upvote 0
People tend to think that bad things don't happen to them but actually there are about 220 million flats per year. And you only got 4 out of 220 million flats!

It sounds like you are a good candidate to stop by a local tire shop and buy its road hazard tire insurance like Discount Tires, Pepboys... I think it's about $10 per tire.
I did this in the past...unfortunately its like 40+ per tire now!!!

Upvote 0
Bought new Model Y long range in Sept 2020; has about 10k on tires. On May 28, I replaced 2 tires in North Carolina (where I lived at the time) bc of slow leaks showing up on idiot lights - both tires had sidewall nails. Five weeks later I replaced another tire bc of sidewall puncture (in NJ where I now live). Today, Nov 16, I'm replacing another tire bc of sidewall puncture. 4 TIRES IN 5 MONTHS. I do not drive near construction sights, only "normal" roads. This is getting ridiculous and expensive. Anyone else having this issue? This may sound far fetched, but could it be that the 2 electric motors, which I'm assuming have magnets in them, could they be attracting all this road debris and then it's picked up by the tires? Just a thought. Thanks.
Wow that's incredibly bad luck. Have you had tires with this low of a profile before?

Some great advice from others buying Discount Tire / America's Tire certificates. It unfortunately adds a healthy % to the cost of each tire but at 350 ish per blowout, seems like a reasonable hedge against future occurrence. Note you also can't (afaik) add the certificates without buying new tires, so it may not be immediately helpful for you since you've already replaced many.

Upvote 0
Wow that's incredibly bad luck. Have you had tires with this low of a profile before?

Some great advice from others buying Discount Tire / America's Tire certificates. It unfortunately adds a healthy % to the cost of each tire but at 350 ish per blowout, seems like a reasonable hedge against future occurrence. Note you also can't (afaik) add the certificates without buying new tires, so it may not be immediately helpful for you since you've already replaced many.
I've heard people say that you can buy the tires from anywhere, and bring it into Discount Tire, and they will allow you to buy certificates for them, as long as the tires are still in good condition. I've heard people say that they brought their car to Discount Tire and bought certs for the tires that came on the car... I haven't tried yet, as I've been too lazy... I may look into it

• Helpful
Reactions: Corndart
Upvote 0
Five weeks later I replaced another tire bc of sidewall puncture (in NJ where I now live). Today, Nov 16, I'm replacing another tire bc of sidewall puncture.
When you got those flat tires, unless you had a spare tire, did you call Tesla Road Assistance to bring you a new tire or did you use a towing company to ake you to a tire shop?

How long did you have to wait and how far away from a tire shop were you?

Do have any good or bad memories from those two events?

Upvote 0
When you got those flat tires, unless you had a spare tire, did you call Tesla Road Assistance to bring you a new tire or did you use a towing company to ake you to a tire shop?

How long did you have to wait and how far away from a tire shop were you?

Do have any good or bad memories from those two events?
For me, the only time I had to get a tow was when I had a rip on the sidewall. Most of the time, even if I had a nail or bubble, or some other sidewall damage, it was a slow leak, and I was able to fill it with air, and drive to a tire shop.

On a side note, if you get Continental DWS 06-Plus tires, they come with 3 years of free roadside assistance, which includes towing, if you don't have a spare tire.

Upvote 0
I recently had a flat (nail right in the middle of the tread) and was told by a local tire shop and they can't fix the flat because the tire (OEM Continental) has a foam inside. Anyone have a similar experience?
The place you took it to were just clueless... I took mine to Discount Tire for a patch, and they explicitly told me they cut out a small section of the foam to patch the tire. I can't remember if they said if they glued it back or not, but I know they see a lot of Teslas, becuase they had their own puck to lift the car.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Upvote 0