Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exchange Rate - AUS-US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May have been asked before but I didn't find it.

Is the price quoted when you order, held until you receive your vehicle, as it appears the wait time now is a minimum of 6 months for some vehicles. (I know many are waiting a lot longer than this).

Is there no movement should the exchange rate deviate an appreciable amount? (whatever that may be).
The options/prices locked in?
Has anyone purchased without having had a test drive?

All of the original orders took place when the dollar was up at 92-94c. By the time they delivered it was down around 80c. Nobody's price was adjusted so I think you can assume if you put a deposit down based on a given price that is the price you will pay.

I'd double check that with Tesla though. I'd be very surprised if the dollar is still in the 70s in 6 months time.

Depending how you look at it, the exchange rate, it can help or hurt. Tesla is the only manufacturer who sells its cars at roughly the same price, world-wide. If this was BMW or Mercedes, the price would be much higher.

That said, I purchased my P85D on 1 December at $207K AUD. The Aussie was dropping like a rock then, and it was apparent that soon there would have to be an adjustment. Soon there after (January, I believe), with a price rise, the same car was $220K AUD. But the first price stands and Tesla sold it to me for that (and I checked!!)

Now for us "mixed breed" folks (Aussie but American too), at the exchange rate of $0.75 the car is the same price if bought in USD or AUD. Roughly $150K US.

You can bet what you will, but the "smart money" is expecting $0.70, making the car less here that there....hopefully by the actual delivery time of September/October. The AUD is not likely to rise, given the terrible shape Oz is and the fact that the mining price drops have not filtered through the economy yet.

Regardless, a GREAT car, and a good price...........just can't wait !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P85D, gray metallic/tan interior; fully loaded: tech, interior upgrade/executive seats, audio, 21 grays, pano, spoiler, air suspension, bells and whistles

I will be heading to Melbourne on Friday to visit daughter & family, then off to Chaddy on Saturday. Probably return to Portland Monday.
Maybe meet up with wpapua if possible as well, when i get my Tesla .....

Congrats on your order brewster. Patience is a virtue ! We will be away from 3280 for quite a while, hopefully you will be 'battery powered' before we return. Enjoy !