Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exciting Charging Announcement Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Friday at 10AM PDT, I plan to attend this panel in Fremont, CA that will "discuss the development of California's electric vehicle industry and what we can do to make it successful". "What are the infrastructure challenges?" may shed some light on this thread. You can watch the webcast at:

http://sd10.senate.ca.gov/

Since CA State Sen. Corbett is holding her hearing in Fremont, I expect Elon or his designate will be on the panel. I also expect to definitely see at least one Model S, and possibly the Model X prototype, too.

"
Sen. Corbett Holds Hearing Friday on Electric Vehicles

[email protected] ✆ via bounce.secureserver.net
1:54 PM (8 hours ago)

to undisclosed recipients

Dear Friends,

On Friday, I will hold a legislative hearing in Fremont to discuss the development of California's electric vehicle industry and what we can do to make it successful.

As you know, the Bay Area is a global leader in technological innovation, and many promising green-tech industries are sprouting up throughout the region.

This is good for California's economy - and good for California's future.

My hearing will be held at 10 a.m., Friday, May 18 at Mission ROP, 5019 Stevenson Blvd., Fremont. This will feature experts and stakeholders from the electric vehicle community, with manufacturers, industry executives and state and local policymakers serving as panelists.

We will discuss how this industry is progressing. What can we do to make it easier to put electric vehicles on the street? What are the infrastructure challenges? What more can we do to encourage the growth and development of electric vehicles and maximize the environmental benefits? I look forward to getting answers to these important questions.

In addition, a variety of the latest electric vehicles will be on display at the site.

I hope you can attend or watch via the Internet. This hearing will be streamed live on my website, Home | Senate Majority Leader Ellen M. Corbett.

As always, I welcome your feedback and look forward to working on your behalf in the California State Senate.

Sincerely,

Ellen M. Corbett
Senate Majority Leader

California State Senator Ellen Corbett - District 10
Web site: Home | Senate Majority Leader Ellen M. Corbett
E-mail: Senator Ellen Corbett
Capitol Office
State Capitol, Room 313
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 651-4010
San Leandro District Office
1057 MacArthur Blvd., Suite 206
San Leandro, CA 94577
(510) 577-2310
Fremont District Office
39155 Liberty St., #F610
Fremont, CA 94538
(510) 794-3900

(c) 2012 California State Senate
"

I believe what we are most likely to hear is that Tesla is going to jump on board with the new SAE J1772 Combo Charger. This makes sense since most American and European car companies have agreed to use it. It also has to ability to meet or exceed Teslas own high speed charger that it wants to implement. I would think that we will see an announcement from Tesla that the year 2013 model S will integrate the new standard. I also believe that Tesla will have partners (think GM) that will help implement charging stations with the new standard instead of the proprietary fast chargers that Tesla wanted to build. Overall this would be a huge step in validating the SAE J1772 Combo Charger as the only viable standard in North America for the next few years.

I believe what we are most likely to hear is that Tesla is going to jump on board with the new SAE J1772 Combo Charger. This makes sense since most American and European car companies have agreed to use it. It also has to ability to meet or exceed Teslas own high speed charger that it wants to implement. I would think that we will see an announcement from Tesla that the year 2013 model S will integrate the new standard. I also believe that Tesla will have partners (think GM) that will help implement charging stations with the new standard instead of the proprietary fast chargers that Tesla wanted to build. Overall this would be a huge step in validating the SAE J1772 Combo Charger as the only viable standard in North America for the next few years.

Yeah...not a chance. Especially the part where you think they will tell everyone at the front of the waiting list that they should defer their reservation until 2013.

I think Elon's quote re: the J1772 standard was that it is "crap". So, no, I don't see that happening. I suspect it will be an agreement with some major business(es) to installing chargers on highway locations. E.g. Starbucks, McD, or even outlet mall company.

Not gonna happen. TM might make an adaptor when the stations become more available. For right now I mostly think it is about locations of the superchargers.

A TM rep at the Oct 2011 event said that the charge port was the first piece to be designed and that they were NOT going to change it. They said that they might offer an adaptor for other standards, but as of current that is a maybe.

Personally, I think this thread should be renamed Inaccurate Charging Announcement Speculation. I'm sure any announcement will relate to Superchargers.

I'm sure you're correct. The announcement I would like to hear is: Tesla announces minimum ten superchargers in every state by mid-2013.

I'm sure you're correct. The announcement I would like to hear is: Tesla announces minimum ten superchargers in every state by mid-2013.

That would be a waste in a lot of small states.
How about: superchargers spaced at most 200 miles apart allowing travel between any 2 of the 50 largest cities ( by metro area pop ) in the contiguous US 48.
That would probably require less than 50 depending on the routes.

How about: superchargers spaced at most 200 miles apart allowing travel between any 2 of the 50 largest cities ( by metro area pop ) in the contiguous US 48.

Makes sense. Also, more than one supercharger per location in some of the high-traffic corridors where there's likely to be more contention?

That would pretty much eliminate many places that I travel to. The 200 miles is fine. I'd go with the top 100--or at least the top 75 cities. And also along the state highways.

I was just looking at the "Top 100 cities by population in the US". Interesting to note how many are right near each other, like Las Vegas, and North Las Vegas, NV. The cities will have charging. But try to get to Bend, Oregon, or to Couer D'Alene, Idaho from Sacramento, CA. There are a lot of empty places that NEED a charger so you can go through them to get to the cities.

I was just looking at the "Top 100 cities by population in the US". Interesting to note how many are right near each other, like Las Vegas, and North Las Vegas, NV. The cities will have charging. But try to get to Bend, Oregon, or to Couer D'Alene, Idaho from Sacramento, CA. There are a lot of empty places that NEED a charger so you can go through them to get to the cities.
The east coast can get away with chargers only in cities due to the density, but the rest of the US really needs chargers in cities and between cities.

+1. That's why you need superchargers along the state highways in the smaller cities (e.g. El Dorado, KS).

I am actually hoping that they have come up with some sort of blanket agreement that allows them to install chargers in any rest stop areas (state or federal) across the nation that they choose. Or some REALLY BIG chain like McDonalds. They could advertise as Fast Food, Fast Charge.

I think Elon's quote re: the J1772 standard was that it is "crap". So, no, I don't see that happening. I suspect it will be an agreement with some major business(es) to installing chargers on highway locations. E.g. Starbucks, McD, or even outlet mall company.

I think you guys might be wrong on this. According to my link, Tesla Motors participated in the development of the J1772 Combo Coupler. The the Combo Coupler will be capable of up to 100Kw which is virtually the same as the Tesla super charger. Let us not forget that Tesla will be supplying drive trains to to Diamler that will work with the J1772 combo coupler standard so this is somthing Tesla already knows how to implement in their own vehicles at any time. Every large company in North America and Europe is already on board with the new J1772 standard and it only makes sense that Tesla would align itself with the big boys rather than go against them. It makes sense financially in so many ways and investors will love it.

http://www.ihs.com/products/industry-standards/newsletters/telecom-electro-newsletter/vol13i2/electric-vehicle-charging.aspx