Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing EV owner switch to Model3 which will be my charger option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Nessan leaf, so I have EV charger 32A 6.6Kw J1722 at my garage (with a 60A cable connected from my basement panel). With recent good news on Canadian delivery on Model 3, I start to think which will be my charge options:

1) Don't do anything, the Tesla shall come with the converter, so I can charge the Tesla anyway. Pro: Cost 0, god knows in couple of years, neat non Tesla car appears, J1722 is kind of universal connector. Con: It shall not charge the car in full speed, with Ontario discounted power rate is from 7PM - 7AM, I may not be able to fully charge if I purchase long range version.

2) Install a Tesla wall charger hard wired at 40Amp. Pro: Tesla original, looks nice, could fully charge the car just enough time to utilize discounted Ontario power rate. Con: cost couple hundred installation + wall charger >=1000$, since I have already claimed Ontario charge rebate, I shall not get it again.

Existing Tesla owner, any suggestions?

I would (and will) stick with option 1 until and if I find doesn't handle my charging use cases. That long period should be plenty to charge the battery to full. Others facing the same choice and going with option 2 tend to report back that the increased speed isn't typically necessary.

If you have multiple EV's, unlimited financial resources, or a use case that requires faster charging then by all means go with option 2. Losing the J1772 makes it problematic for charging non-Teslas.

RT

with Ontario discounted power rate is from 7PM - 7AM, I may not be able to fully charge if I purchase long range version.
How many miles do you drive per day?

12 hours at 6.6kW is basically enough to charge and Model 3 LR from 0% charge to 100% in a single day. Hopefully you are not going to 0% or 100% very often or the battery will have a significantly reduce life.

I'm in a similar boat--currently own a Leaf and a Volvo XC90 T8 (PHEV, charges at 15A in about 2.5 hours). I currently use a JuiceBox Pro (capable of 40A) for both. I plan to just keep that, at least initially, and use the Model 3's J1772 adapter. I lose 8A from the Model 3 LR's 48A capability, but 40A will still charge the 3 at a much higher miles/hour rate than the Leaf at its max of 25A.

Since we'll still be charging the XC90 and I don't really want to have 2 EVSEs in our relatively tight garage, I think this is our best bet. Also, the JuiceBox is more fully-featured than the Tesla HPWC--app/web access to see power conditions, charging history, TOU, etc.

Your Aeroviroment charger is either rated at 30 or 32 amps so 7.2 or 7.7kw so you'll be charging the full LR battery from 0-100% in about 10 hours. How far do you plan to drive daily? the LR is rated at like 330 miles. your leaf does what 85? you'll be tripling your travel once you get the 3?

6867AB01-D41F-48EF-BE09-CA5D769C94FC.jpeg
I would go with option #1. We have an 80amp HPWC for the S if we ever needed to charge the 3 at 48amps. Just passed 1800 miles on the 3 and have not used it to stay within our Time of Use schedule.

We used our AeroVironment EVSE 3.5 years on the Leaf, including two weeks using it to charge both the Tesla Model S and the Leaf. I got a NEMA 14-50 to install on inside garage wall a few feet from outside Box, using existing 50a breaker from Hot Tub we got rid of when we added patio room on back years ago. I still have not installed it because the Leaf was totaled by the other insurance co when my wife was rear-ended 16 days after we got the Model S.

I still plan to install the outlet prior to getting our Model 3, but think the AV will still be able to keep both Teslas serviced, the 3 at night and the S during the day when my wife takes the 3 to work.

When we leased a Leaf in 2012, Nissan threw in a free Blink charger with installation. We're still using it now, and in fact, the 3 charges faster than the S on the same old unit.

So, option 1 is fine. I do recommend getting an extra J1772 adapter to leave at home, and keep another one in the car.

I have a Nessan leaf, so I have EV charger 32A 6.6Kw J1722 at my garage (with a 60A cable connected from my basement panel). With recent good news on Canadian delivery on Model 3, I start to think which will be my charge options:

1) Don't do anything, the Tesla shall come with the converter, so I can charge the Tesla anyway. Pro: Cost 0, god knows in couple of years, neat non Tesla car appears, J1722 is kind of universal connector. Con: It shall not charge the car in full speed, with Ontario discounted power rate is from 7PM - 7AM, I may not be able to fully charge if I purchase long range version.

2) Install a Tesla wall charger hard wired at 40Amp. Pro: Tesla original, looks nice, could fully charge the car just enough time to utilize discounted Ontario power rate. Con: cost couple hundred installation + wall charger >=1000$, since I have already claimed Ontario charge rebate, I shall not get it again.

Existing Tesla owner, any suggestions?

IANATO(Y)

Option (1) and buy an additional J1772 adapter. You'll actually get 32A charging rather than the current 6.6kW the Leaf has.

Use the new J1772 adapter for your home EVSE.
Then you can keep the supplied portable unit (which includes a J1772 adapter) with the car.

If you find that you would really benefit from 40A charging (unlikely since you were driving a Leaf) you can buy and install a Tesla wall connector later and sell your old EVSE.