Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing inventory and custom orders. I don’t get it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has already been covered. Have had a look but couldn’t seem to find anything.

So I currently have a White SR+ on order through a lease. Got given an RN number on the 3rd of March by the fleet company.

I’ve been patiently waiting with delivery expected May/June. Now with the current climate I guess this is going back further.

What I don’t understand is there have obviously been quite a few people postponing/ cancelling orders. I presumed these would have subsequently been taken up by others who ordered before me however I just had a browse on the existing inventory page and there is now 6 cars matching my order a few of which don't mention having any miles on the clock at all and the other all under 50.

What I don’t understand is if there are all these cars available and current orders waiting why are they not just assigned to people who have orders waiting? Especially now when there is currently no date when new vehicles will be arriving why not just assign the cars to current orders who are next in line?

I understand it is possible to switch to an inventory vehicle but I am reluctant to do so as this is a salary sacrifice vehicle so it has to be approved my the company, then to a fleet company and then forwarded to there funder. Just seems a little risky and drawn out especially as the funder for example may even be closed at the moment and I’m not that urgent for the car. Just more interested in why this model works as it does? Why stack up already made cars and not assign them to current orders when they match?

Answer one, because then they get to sell two cars rather than 1 (if they bring yours forward)
Answer two, just ring tesla, get them to swap your car with the inventory car and voila, you get a nice new M3 in good time. Not sure when you’d ideally want the car though. It’s looking like the next shipment will be late June, I suspect if that falls through then you’re looking at late August.

Answer one, because then they get to sell two cars rather than 1 (if they bring yours forward)
Answer two, just ring tesla, get them to swap your car with the inventory car and voila, you get a nice new M3 in good time. Not sure when you’d ideally want the car though. It’s looking like the next shipment will be late June, I suspect if that falls through then you’re looking at late August.
Yes I want the car now lol but realistically i don’t lol, obviously not much point having it sat on the drive for no reason and no way to sell my current car at the moment.

Just interested in why they have this system the way it is.
I can only see that being the case if there are only buyers who would only purchase if they could get inventory vehicles. As payment is only made on delivery I don’t see it making any difference in terms of sales? Just they would get a vehicle earlier and pay and I am still in the queue without paying or instead I get it earlier and pay and then they would join the queue in my place? Still one car sold, one car payed for.

I was under the understanding only the person who placed the order could do this so the funder to my scheme?

If this is still the case in a few more weeks I may give Tesla a call and see if anything can be swapped. Just annoying seeing my exact car in inventory yet I’m still waiting. As I said not a bad thing really as it’s probably for the best at the moment but still..

Yes I want the car now lol but realistically i don’t lol, obviously not much point having it sat on the drive for no reason and no way to sell my current car at the moment.

Just interested in why they have this system the way it is.
I can only see that being the case if there are only buyers who would only purchase if they could get inventory vehicles. As payment is only made on delivery I don’t see it making any difference in terms of sales? Just they would get a vehicle earlier and pay and I am still in the queue without paying or instead I get it earlier and pay and then they would join the queue in my place? Still one car sold, one car payed for.

I was under the understanding only the person who placed the order could do this so the funder to my scheme?

If this is still the case in a few more weeks I may give Tesla a call and see if anything can be swapped. Just annoying seeing my exact car in inventory yet I’m still waiting. As I said not a bad thing really as it’s probably for the best at the moment but still..
The dilemma about it sitting on the drive is a tough one. Could be there for a couple of months before you get to commute in it, even longer for a road trip.
as a prospective buyer, I think I’d be more likely to swoop in and take one on inventory so that’s all I can think of as the reason.

Finally, I can only talk from my own experience. Most people at tesla we’re happy to talk to me (as the leaser). I placed a personal order as well as a lease order and switched the personal car to lease order to speed up delivery. Spoke to someone recently about a colleague and they seemed happy to help.
I think the lease company are aware it might be 2 weeks until delivery or it might be 3 months. They won’t really care either way. Good luck whichever route you go!

The dilemma about it sitting on the drive is a tough one. Could be there for a couple of months before you get to commute in it, even longer for a road trip.
as a prospective buyer, I think I’d be more likely to swoop in and take one on inventory so that’s all I can think of as the reason.

Finally, I can only talk from my own experience. Most people at tesla we’re happy to talk to me (as the leaser). I placed a personal order as well as a lease order and switched the personal car to lease order to speed up delivery. Spoke to someone recently about a colleague and they seemed happy to help.
I think the lease company are aware it might be 2 weeks until delivery or it might be 3 months. They won’t really care either way. Good luck whichever route you go!

I would take it now, just I can’t sell my car at the moment as all the buying sites seem to be closed. Need to sell before I can take a new car sadly. Otherwise I probably would give it a shot. If any of them open soon will look at swapping to an inventory of available but think will hold out. I’m part of a family commercial cleaning business so plenty of work and reasons to travel at the moment lol

But yes going back to inventory I can understand people would prefer to directly purchase available inventory but I don’t see anyone not buying a Tesla because Inventory wasn’t available.. I don’t know, guess it’s just how they do it just seems weird to have cars available that are exactly what I am waiting for.

thanks, can’t wait to get the car, been wanted one for years, only just become financially viable!

Good answer.
Late August is my guess.