Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Are Inventory Cars? vs Ordered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a fool. Today's inventory price was $3,000 less for the Model Y RWD so I cancelled my order again (now down $500 in deposits!). Again, I took screen shots of the new $41,900 inventory price but when I put down the $250 order cost and checked the app, it said the price was $44,900! Tesla's online system is screwed up. Buyer beware! I hope JJ, the SA, can clear things up.
Screen shots, not a fool. You're still ahead!!

Reactions: tg27
I'm a fool. Today's inventory price was $3,000 less for the Model Y RWD so I cancelled my order again (now down $500 in deposits!). Again, I took screen shots of the new $41,900 inventory price but when I put down the $250 order cost and checked the app, it said the price was $44,900! Tesla's online system is screwed up. Buyer beware! I hope JJ, the SA, can clear things up.
Ouch.. what a mess. This isn't how 750 billion dollar company does business.

Reactions: tg27 and cwerdna
How do you know it's the same VIN?

It’s a different vin and order number.
So it's being sold before you can place the order? Why are you upset with Tesla over that. The cheaper one was probably a customer reject that needed to be repaired. There was a reason it was deeply discounted. I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish with taking screenshots of vehicles that are no longer available.

So it's being sold before you can place the order? Why are you upset with Tesla over that. The cheaper one was probably a customer reject that needed to be repaired. There was a reason it was deeply discounted. I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish with taking screenshots of vehicles that are no longer available.
I have no clue what you’re talking about. I never said it was sold. Tesla has a lot of Model Y’s on the inventory list. But when I order one, it first says the cheaper Inventory price, but when the app is accessed, it gives a higher and regular price.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I have no clue what you’re talking about. I never said it was sold. Tesla has a lot of Model Y’s on the inventory list. But when I order one, it first says the cheaper Inventory price, but when the app is accessed, it gives a higher and regular price.
I guess I have no idea how you're placing your order. When I ordered, I chose my options from the main order page and submitted it. I was then offered a few options that were the same, or similar to my initial order at varying discounts that would be available sooner than my ordered vehicle. If I decided to accept one of those, all I would have needed to do was select one. Please explain the process you're using that's causing your problem.

I guess I have no idea how you're placing your order. When I ordered, I chose my options from the main order page and submitted it. I was then offered a few options that were the same, or similar to my initial order at varying discounts that would be available sooner than my ordered vehicle. If I decided to accept one of those, all I would have needed to do was select one. Please explain the process you're using that's causing your problem.
Hi, there's an Inventory selection button sorta buried in the Vehicles section online. It shows all of the Inventory vehicles with a nice filter for new or used, color, Model, etc. That's where I ordered the vehicle at the lesser 'Inventory' price and it shows up in my account at the 'regular' and higher price which is what one pays if they order a car through the regular method as you did. They have some bug in their system. I'm hoping a SA can fix the problem for me.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Hi, there's an Inventory selection button sorta buried in the Vehicles section online. It shows all of the Inventory vehicles with a nice filter for new or used, color, Model, etc. That's where I ordered the vehicle at the lesser 'Inventory' price and it shows up in my account at the 'regular' and higher price which is what one pays if they order a car through the regular method as you did. They have some bug in their system. I'm hoping a SA can fix the problem for me.
I've never tried that method, but just did for fun. I see you're looking for a RWD, so I searched for that and found this:
1700923968105.png

Next, I clicked on "View Details" and this screen showed up:
1700924081117.png

I'm not clicking on "Order With Card", as I'm not sure if it would charge my on file card $250. :) Is that the step where it changes the price on you?

I've never tried that method, but just did for fun. I see you're looking for a RWD, so I searched for that and found this:
View attachment 993730

Next, I clicked on "View Details" and this screen showed up:
View attachment 993731

I'm not clicking on "Order With Card", as I'm not sure if it would charge my on file card $250. :) Is that the step where it changes the price on you?
Yep. That exactly what I did and then after I ordered with the card and got a notice in my app, it said the $44K price plus delivery.

Well, after all of this craziness, the SA told us that the PDF document in the Tesla app shows the 'corrected' price! She was right - despite all the places online that said we were being charged the higher, regular ordering price, the $3,000 deduction was listed in the document buried in the app. That is a bit crazy/unclear, but at least the mystery is solved and we're getting the 'inventory' Model Y at a much cheaper price.

Reactions: Mike728

You don't need to cancel your order. If you put in the same specs as the inventory car, it will likely switch to it. It has done so for two of the three I've ordered. If it doesn't, just message them and they will assign the vin to you.

The price difference will be reflected. It may take a day or two and they will message you. I got a notification to approve change and that was it.

You don't need to cancel your order. If you put in the same specs as the inventory car, it will likely switch to it. It has done so for two of the three I've ordered. If it doesn't, just message them and they will assign the vin to you.

The price difference will be reflected. It may take a day or two and they will message you. I got a notification to approve change and that was it.

Not sure that would work as we already had a vin assigned. Anyway, we picked up the new Y today! Thanks for all the advice - regardless, we lost $500 but saved $2,500 with the $3,000 lower ‘inventory’ car. And now I see that the inventory price for a Y is back up. End of the fourth quarter craziness to push them out the door. Plus they added six months of Supercharging.