Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exit Experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

N5329K

Aug 12, 2009
California
For those who've canceled: how was your exit experience? Good? Bad? Indifferent?
For me, the website would not credit the card I used to make the reservation; it kept spitting up Oops. Something happened. It was fine with bank-to-bank, though.
Did it seem like Tesla was genuinely interested in why you were bailing out? Or just obligatory? Did they ask enough questions? Too many? Wrong questions? Right ones?
Robin

For those who've canceled: how was your exit experience? Good? Bad? Indifferent?
For me, the website would not credit the card I used to make the reservation; it kept spitting up Oops. Something happened. It was fine with bank-to-bank, though.
Did it seem like Tesla was genuinely interested in why you were bailing out? Or just obligatory? Did they ask enough questions? Too many? Wrong questions? Right ones?
Robin

Very simple and easy. Just clicked a link on my website account page. Check showed up about 7 weeks later. No option to just refund to credit card originally used. I don't recall any other discussion. BTW, at their cash burn rate, I deposited it immediately! ;)

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: zmarty and N5329K
Mostly good. Liberating. No communication with anyone from Tesla. They are probably thrilled to have one less reservation at this point. Still waiting on the deposit to come through (picked the bank account option).

Still a little "loss weirdness" since I just canceled last week after the latest delay and spent almost 2 years 1) expecting the Model 3 to be our next car, 2) having it hyped to me from various sources, be it Elon, here, or Youtube videos, and 3) me hyping it to others (all prior to actually experiencing one in person recently).

Lesson learned: don't allow a hot, upcoming material object (or software) to take up too much real estate in my life again :).

But it feels good to not be held hostage by unforeseen production delays, and my wife is thrilled to not have to hear about the Model 3 over dinner anymore.

Mostly good. Liberating. No communication with anyone from Tesla. They are probably thrilled to have one less reservation at this point. Still waiting on the deposit to come through (picked the bank account option).

Still a little "loss weirdness" since I just canceled last week after the latest delay and spent almost 2 years 1) expecting the Model 3 to be our next car, 2) having it hyped to me from various sources, be it Elon, here, or Youtube videos, and 3) me hyping it to others (all prior to actually experiencing one in person recently).

Lesson learned: don't allow a hot, upcoming material object (or software) to take up too much real estate in my life again :).

But it feels good to not be held hostage by unforeseen production delays, and my wife is thrilled to not have to hear about the Model 3 over dinner anymore.
The potential converse of that may be a gnawing feeling of regret and self-recrimination for having too impulsively canceled the reservation prematurely when the car finally rolls out in significant numbers and your friends, relatives and neighbors keep droning on-and-on about how incredible their Model 3s are and that it's too bad you'd canceled your early reservation and now have to get in the back of the still-growing reservation queue. :D

(J/K, you do what's right for you)

Probably not too big a deal. By the time Model 3 rolls out in significant numbers the wait is unlikely to be that long (and fewer bugs to worry about).
But I was curious how everyone thought Tesla handled the cancellation. So far it seems like they did OK.
Robin

The potential converse of that may be a gnawing feeling of regret and self-recrimination for having too impulsively canceled the reservation prematurely when the car finally rolls out in significant numbers and your friends, relatives and neighbors keep droning on-and-on about how incredible their Model 3s are and that it's too bad you'd canceled your early reservation and now have to get in the back of the still-growing reservation queue. :D

(J/K, you do what's right for you)
LOL, maybe... but by that time, if I get bitten by the envy bug, there should be more than a few used Model 3s available.

My experience - including buying my crappy ILX off lease last year as a band-aid solution for waiting on the 3 to be ready - has me feeling that it's unlikely that I'll be waiting in line for another vehicle from any manufacturer. Canceling was a long time coming after my excitement for the car slowly diminished after the final reveal. The voice in the back of my mind asking "that's it?" only seemed to get louder after the final reveal event, until it was yelling at me after getting to experience one for a few hours in-person a few weeks ago.

It is weird to have been so hellbent on getting a Model 3 for so long, and to now regard the car as "meh". A lot of that has to do with what I was expecting the car to be. But everyone is different and I do hope that others who are super excited for this car are able to remain so after seeing/buying one!

Reactions: CTreast
Cancelled on a Saturday night via the website. Entered my debit card info for the refund (not the card I used for the reservation). Money was in my bank account Tuesday morning.

Elon called me Wednesday and was all “what the hell man?” I told him to get his act together and I’d be back for a refreshed S.

*only the first paragraph is true.
Hmmm... I guess I should've gone with a debit card instead of my bank account... I canceled last Thursday and still haven't received the refund.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
Painless, so far. Not sure how long to wait for check but I really don't care if I get back or not. I'm an accountant and reading that balance sheet last week gave me the willies. Really didn't care to chance a 50k car needing service while the company goes through a re-org in the next year or two. Not advice, I'm probably more risk averse than most. I could be wrong but better safe than sorry.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSqB and N5329K
Painless, so far. Not sure how long to wait for check but I really don't care if I get back or not. I'm an accountant and reading that balance sheet last week gave me the willies. Really didn't care to chance a 50k car needing service while the company goes through a re-org in the next year or two. Not advice, I'm probably more risk averse than most. I could be wrong but better safe than sorry.

I’m sure you want this too but man I really hope they make it through. The 3 is such an important vehicle!