Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expected Signature Delivery ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I have Signature 13xx and have been able to configure for a few weeks.

Now theoretically, if I were to configure today when do people expect me to take delivery?

All Tesla was willing to give me was before the end of the year. I told them that I need a more precise answer and that it was not rocket science. I am probably in the first 1000 cars to be delivered and it should be possible to give me a more precise delivery estimate.

My decision to cancel/order depends on this info and if Tesla wants to make the sale I need a delivery date (or good estimate) Should not be that hard on a $140k purchase.

But maybe you guys know better than Tesla?

How precise a date do you need? Frankly they probably can't be too precise at the moment because there are a number of known unknowns still out there. This is a new vehicle and the production ramp speed is going to depend on a number of factors, some of which are outside of Tesla's direct control. Also, there's shipping to take into account. Once it leaves the factory transit time isn't easy to predict with any accuracy; this isn't a something from Amazon with a tracking number.

Tesla's been pretty clear that they want to deliver all the US Signatures by the end of the year. If you order today I would bet on December delivery but that could vary by as much as a month in either direction.

If you don't mind my asking, why is it so important to have a precise delivery date?

How precise a date do you need? Frankly they probably can't be too precise at the moment because there are a number of known unknowns still out there. This is a new vehicle and the production ramp speed is going to depend on a number of factors, some of which are outside of Tesla's direct control. Also, there's shipping to take into account. Once it leaves the factory transit time isn't easy to predict with any accuracy; this isn't a something from Amazon with a tracking number.

Tesla's been pretty clear that they want to deliver all the US Signatures by the end of the year. If you order today I would bet on December delivery but that could vary by as much as a month in either direction.

If you don't mind my asking, why is it so important to have a precise delivery date?

wow. They want to deliver all sigs by year end. Remind me again, how many signature series are there?

wow. They want to deliver all sigs by year end. Remind me again, how many signature series are there?
Nobody outside of Tesla knows for sure, but best guesses are about 1200. There were quite a few added pretty late in the game (from wait lists) that didn't get sequence numbers.

I assume you've seen the email from Tesla that says they are going to have ALL X reservation holders configure by year end?

Ok, I have Signature 13xx and have been able to configure for a few weeks.

Now theoretically, if I were to configure today when do people expect me to take delivery?

All Tesla was willing to give me was before the end of the year. I told them that I need a more precise answer and that it was not rocket science. I am probably in the first 1000 cars to be delivered and it should be possible to give me a more precise delivery estimate.

My decision to cancel/order depends on this info and if Tesla wants to make the sale I need a delivery date (or good estimate) Should not be that hard on a $140k purchase.

But maybe you guys know better than Tesla?

Patience young Jedi.

Sorry. I had to go there with your handle.

Given Tesla's history, I would say before the end of the year as well.

Why would buying your reserved signature model X or not depend on the delivery date? I would think either someone wants the car or they don't (and I can't imagine why someone would not want it unless they intended to use it for cargo primarily rather than people and their stuff).

Why would buying your reserved signature model X or not depend on the delivery date? I would think either someone wants the car or they don't (and I can't imagine why someone would not want it unless they intended to use it for cargo primarily rather than people and their stuff).

Lots of reasons, especially if a business is involved... ability to use the tax credit, business depreciation (even though bonus depreciation rules haven't been set yet for this year), etc.

Then there are logistical reasons: When I received my Model S, we had a son on the way (born 4 days after my delivery), or perhaps a holiday vacation combined with the other reasons, etc.

Now, to the OP's questions -- it's not really that easy for Tesla to tell you that. Manufacturing does the batching and scheduling. Configuring now would probably place you at the end of the line, so late December, but that's not guaranteed.

All you can rely upon is that Tesla is aiming to deliver all by end of year.

I have several questions that are 'in flight' at Tesla right now that are blocking me from configuring so I'm assuming that other sig's are still being configured, but they have enough sig's configured to build out until early December. If they are able to ramp quickly enough to allow all sig's to ship prior to end of year, expect to be forced to configure prior to December. Pure speculation on my part...