Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expensive Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When me and my wife configured our Model X we laughed at the pricing on several options. First off I don’t understand why a leather interior or at least a leatherette such as Mercedes-Benz’s MBtex does not come standard with the car, I find this annoying as upgrading to the vegan leather seats are $3300 which I find quite expensive compared to other manufacturers which either come standard with leather or with it as a $1000 upgrade, I mean this is a 100k car. The pricing to get 6 seats is absolutely ridiculous, $6000 for not even bucket seats in the middle row, your essentially paying $6000 for one more seat, whilst the 7 seater is only $3000 I feel like that is a reasonable price, but why should I paying $3000 more for a 6 seater for one less seat, that is beyond ridiculous. Finally the paint selection is an actual joke. “White” which is basically a standard color on every single other car manufacturer in the world costs $1500, plus your $1500 paint is worthless unless you put Xpel over it because Tesla paint is quite soft. Do you guys think this option should are worth their price tags?

When me and my wife configured our Model X we laughed at the pricing on several options. First off I don’t understand why a leather interior or at least a leatherette such as Mercedes-Benz’s MBtex does not come standard with the car, I find this annoying as upgrading to the vegan leather seats are $3300 which I find quite expensive compared to other manufacturers which either come standard with leather or with it as a $1000 upgrade, I mean this is a 100k car. The pricing to get 6 seats is absolutely ridiculous, $6000 for not even bucket seats in the middle row, your essentially paying $6000 for one more seat, whilst the 7 seater is only $3000 I feel like that is a reasonable price, but why should I paying $3000 more for a 6 seater for one less seat, that is beyond ridiculous. Finally the paint selection is an actual joke. “White” which is basically a standard color on every single other car manufacturer in the world costs $1500, plus your $1500 paint is worthless unless you put Xpel over it because Tesla paint is quite soft. Do you guys think this option should are worth their price tags?
Your seat comparison is ridiculous. 7 seats are a bench and 6 seats are on the moving pedestals. Very different tech and expenses.

Have not heard anyone complaining about soft paint since the early years.

Tesla invested in a state of the art paint booth years ago. The white paint on my 2017 Model X is very hard and of high quality.

Tesla offered a Textile seat as standard and leather as an option. Normal for most cars. Not sure many SUV's other than super premium come with high quality leather as standard.

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget

Tesla invested in a state of the art paint booth years ago. The white paint on my 2017 Model X is very hard and of high quality.

Tesla offered a Textile seat as standard and leather as an option. Normal for most cars. Not sure many SUV's other than super premium come with high quality leather as standard.
Yes, but I was asking for at least an leatherette such as the mbtex in Mercedes, as this is a 100k car I feel that textile seats would be out of place.

• Funny
Reactions: Yinn and SummitX
Hi Aw288100,

Part of the extra cost for the 6 or 7 seat options is the additional air conditioning/heater unit that comes with them.

It's too bad that the extra AC/heater is not included in the 5 seat model too... The car still has to heat and cool a
very large "under glass" area.

I ordered mine yesterday. Red multi coat !!! Too bad there is not a brighter red like my rocket...

Shawn

• Funny
Reactions: Yinn and tburneymac

The single stage solids were soft. IE, the base black is still quite soft. But most are multi layers now; including the white since they moved on from the solid white. All other colors are essentially metallic, and every other premium car manufacturer I know of does charge a premium for metallic paint.

I ordered mine yesterday. Red multi coat !!! Too bad there is not a brighter red like my rocket...

My AP1 was a red multi coat. When it's clean and you get that sucker in the sun..I'm not sure red's come much brighter than that. It's beautifully blinding.

Do you guys think this option should are worth their price tags?

No. It used to be much more reasonable in my opinion. You had several paint colors that were no cost options. Same with the trim. The premium seats upgrade isn't even real leather anymore where as they used to be. The subzero package used to be a standalone and quite worth it (~750? $1000 I think?) and now it's part of a $6000 premium package.

The problem is that they were expensive to build that way. They were essentially building to order and now they can pre-build since there's really only 6 configurations and just need to go to the paint booth. The X's used to be a showcase and now they need to be mainstream and Tesla needs to make money. 7 seater bench seating is significantly cheaper to manufacture than the 7 seater monoposts. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they cut the 6 seater monoposts and found a way to go to a fixed 6 seat configuration. It'll probably be $4000 cheaper like that 7 seater was and save them even more money.

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget
Welcome to TMC. However, you really need to do a lot more research before posting. There are a lot of serious errors in your message, which many have already identified above.
  • White Paint is no longer offered
  • Pearl White is a metallic multi-coat version, very different to White Paint, so hence the extra cost
  • 6 seat option have individual, mono-post, motorized seats in 2nd row. Quite techy and very different from a 7-seater bench
  • Name one other EV SUV under $100k that has a range of over 250 miles...waiting...
I don't think you're ready to buy this vehicle. Spend a few more months researching this vehicle, read lots on TMC, go to your Tesla store and ask questions and most importantly, get a test-drive.

Metallic/Pearl white like Tesla offer is a cost option on every other car I can think of and often more expensive than other standard metallic colour options. It is not an "actual joke" as you put it. It's just your obvious lack of research making it look that way to you.

Leather upgrades on other cars can cost a LOT more than $1000, especially when discussing $100K cars. You could perhaps argue that the base trim should be leather, but that's not always the case with other cars. Quite a few people prefer the Tesla base textile trim anyway and it's not a bad option for those who don't feel the need to have leather in an expensive car. I actually prefer the synthetic leather Tesla are using on the upgrade to real leather as it's very soft, easy to clean and relatively hard wearing. I particularly like that it doesn't crease up like most real leather.

The 6-seat upgrade is indeed very expensive, but then it's all motorised individual seats vs a manual bench on the 7-seater. A lot of people love the 6-seater luxury and additional space around the seats. Personally I didn't think it was worth the cost, so I went with the 7-seater with folding bench.

I'm very surprised you didn't mention the Premium Upgrade Package, which is extremely expensive and very hard to swallow for anyone. Maybe you missed it while you were laughing?

If you want a real laugh, try optioning up a Porsche Cayenne!

• Name one other EV SUV under $100k that has a range of over 250 miles...waiting...

250 just isn't fair. Without going over $100k, you're looking at a 75D which only gets 237 but fully loaded it's over $100k so let's stick with the [no-longer for sale] 60D which only gets 200 miles of range.

Now that I've made it convenient for me...
NIO launches its ES8 all-electric SUV in China

:D:D:D

Since the OP isn't comparing EVs to EVs, let's ignore that. Otherwise we could just as easily ask for another crossover that gets 90mpg or equivalent and significantly narrow the field.

Instead, since I'm having a slow day and I'm curious let's build a Mercedes GLS 450 shall we? I'll go off of Mercedes site.

Exterior: Tesla (MB: $5,580 vs TS: $1,515)
Paint: Mercedes
MB: Solid Black/White: $0 / Simple Metallic: $720 / Designo Diamond White Metallic: $1,515
Tesla: Solid Black: $0 / Simple Metallic: $1,000 / Multi-Coat White Metallic: $1,500

Wheels: Tesla
MB: 20" Wheels require $1,340 Appearance package
Tesla: 20" Wheels standard

Lighting: Tesla
MB: Lighting Package: $1,390 for Active LED Headlamps and Adaptive Highbeam Assist
Tesla: LED Headlamps with dynamic turning lights and auto-on high beams Standard

Misc: Tesla
MB: Panorama Roof: $1090 / Accessory Chrome Package: $260
Tesla: Panoramic windshield and roof standard / Chrome comes standard on Tesla..too much of it imo.

Interior: Mercedes (MB: $8,110 vs TS: $15,000)
Seating:
Mercedes and MB Tex will be used for calculations.
MB Tex: $0 / MB Black Leather: $1,620 / Designer leather: $4,900 / $160 for trim / 6 Seat standard
Tesla: $3,300 for Premium interior / $6,000 for 6 seat configuration

Premium Package: Mercedes
MB: Blind Spot Assist / Lane Keeping / Ambient Lighting / Keyless GO / Navigation / Sat Radio / Voice Control: $3,830
Tesla: Lane Assist in Autopilot package below / PUP for Ambient Lighting / Standard Keyless GO / Standard Nav / PUP for Sat Radio / Standard Voice Control: $6,000

Misc: Tesla
MB: Heated Steering Wheel: $250 / Heated 2nd Row: $620 / Soft Close Doors: $550 / Easy Entry for 2nd Row: $400 / Upgraded Sound: $850 / 3 Zone Climate Control: $1,450
Tesla: Heated Steering Wheel: In PUP above / Heated 2nd Row: In PUP above / Soft Close Doors: Standard / Easy Entry: Standard / Upgraded Sound: In PUP / 3 Zone Climate control: Standard

Performance & Safety: Tesla (MB: $8,165 vs TS: $5,000)

MB: Driver Assistance Package: $2,250 / Parking Assist Package: $1,290 / Active Curve System: $3,700 / Magic Vision Control: $350 / Trailer Hitch Kit: $575
Tesla: Driver Assistance: Included in Autopilot / Parking Assist: Included in Autopilot - $5,000 / Adjustable air suspension standard / Wipers with integrated washers standard / Trailer Hitch standard

Service & Care: Tesla (MB:$2,745 TS: $1,850)
Prepaid Maintenance:
Mercedes
MB: 3 Year: $1,500
Tesla: 3 Year: $1,850

Connectivity: Tesla
MB: SOS, Alarm Notification, Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance: $199/year / Entertain internet radio: $18/mo
Tesla: Mobile App Standard with notification and location assistance / Internet standard with streaming radio

MSRP:
MB: Base Price $69,550 + Options: $22,280 = $91,830
Tesla: Base Price $79,500 + Options:$23,650 $ = $103,150

The base prices are different, but the option packages are about the same. We can call the battery $15,000 in cost and call it a wash between the two cars. But as far as options being expensive goes (We haven't even taken into account everything else the Tesla has included in the PUP or autopilot or thrown in as extras such as supercharging and constant updates.) It seems two comparably equipped cars are about the same. They just approach it differently.

Last edited:

I'm laughing at you and your wife laughing at the price of Model X options.

Go to a Tesla store and look at the differences between the 6 seat and 7 seat versions. The pricing should be immediately self evident.

Would seems like a sensible thing to do before putting an online deposit on a 6 figure car....

Since you have it all 'figured out' go buy yourself a Mercedes with leather seats. You can laugh at all the Model X jokers who are not as smart as you.

Just please have the courtesy to stay out of the left lane when you see us coming up behind you. Though, I guess it wouldn't take much effort to pass you in any case.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: waterloo42
Welcome to TMC. However, you really need to do a lot more research before posting. There are a lot of serious errors in your message, which many have already identified above.
  • White Paint is no longer offered
  • Pearl White is a metallic multi-coat version, very different to White Paint, so hence the extra cost
  • 6 seat option have individual, mono-post, motorized seats in 2nd row. Quite techy and very different from a 7-seater bench
I don't think you're ready to buy this vehicle. Spend a few more months researching this vehicle, read lots on TMC, go to your Tesla store and ask questions and most importantly, get a test-drive.

A universal truth is those who know "everything" actually know _nothing_.

I think he's ready to buy a Mercedes. :D That's where the bulk of the research time went apparently.

No idea what MBTex is, and don't care unless its an option on Model 3 I will be configuring.

Just please have the courtesy to stay out of the left lane when you see us coming up behind you. Though, I guess it wouldn't take much effort to pass you in any case.

A universal truth is those who know "everything" actually know _nothing_.

I think he's ready to buy a Mercedes. :D That's where the bulk of the research time went apparently.

No idea what MBTex is, and don't care unless its an option on Model 3 I will be configuring.

MBTex is a synthetic leather-like material, realistically it's what our Premium Interiors are now that real leather is not an option. MB charges more for leather and even more for soft - usually NAPPA with patterns - premium leather. BMW does the same, as do many others.

I for one was not always a EV fan and cross-shopped and researched a number of cars. Boredom brought me to a showroom, a great OA made me curious, and this forum helped push me make my decision when I had concerns and questions. The Model S was my gateway EV and now I'm on my 3rd Tesla. So I think the attitude is a bit uncalled for, the OP is making a financial decision and sometimes emotion and knee jerk reaction to sticker price clouds the reality. I don't mind helping to clear that up and hopefully helping him get into a Tesla to support it rather than push him away.

Reactions: outie and vandacca
MBTex is a synthetic leather-like material, realistically it's what our Premium Interiors are now that real leather is not an option. MB charges more for leather and even more for soft - usually NAPPA with patterns - premium leather. BMW does the same, as do many others.

I for one was not always a EV fan and cross-shopped and researched a number of cars. Boredom brought me to a showroom, a great OA made me curious, and this forum helped push me make my decision when I had concerns and questions. The Model S was my gateway EV and now I'm on my 3rd Tesla. So I think the attitude is a bit uncalled for, the OP is making a financial decision and sometimes emotion and knee jerk reaction to sticker price clouds the reality. I don't mind helping to clear that up and hopefully helping him get into a Tesla to support it rather than push him away.

Personally, when I'm broaching a subject that I know NOTHING about I tend to phrase questions like:

1.) I was looking into configuring a Model X and I couldn't quite understand why a 6 seat configuration was so much more costly than a 7 seater. Can someone please help explain why this might be the case?

and

2.) Can anyone please explain why does white paint carry a surcharge on a Tesla when it is often included for "free" from other manufacturers? I also heard that Tesla paint is soft and requires xpel/paint protection film. Any thoughts or feedback on that being the case?

When I'm a noob, I don't express questions with superlative phrases like absolutely ridiculous, beyond ridiculous, and absolute joke.

I'm a game theory economist by the way so I understand selling through numbers but demonstration of higher value is more entertaining. I also gave the best advice possible - go to a Tesla store and see the differences yourself.

And still at $100k+, these cars don’t have the 360 panoramic birds eye view for parking.....

And I know a lot of you are going to say that, “it can park itself, you don’t need that feature,” but there will be times more often than not, where you will manually want/have to park the car yourself.

I mean even the Nissan Leaf has it!

TESLA, if you are listening PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE!

Reactions: StephB
Put me down for 360 birds eye parking view. We never use auto park. It takes forever and unless you're all alone, some other car inevitably gets in the way and makes it impossible to start.

With the 360 parking view in our other car we can park perfectly, inches from any reference point (curb, lines, etc) in less than half the time.

I would pay a "ridiculous" option price for it..

Reactions: StephB
Could it be a 360 birds eye option is saved for a future refresh?

If you want to trigger a super cycle of Tesla upgrades - throw in

360 Parking
Augmented Reality HUD
Better Cup Holders

all at once.. ;)

Spacing out features is something Apple has done for a decade.