Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience of Inspecting MY at Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN # is not indicative of manufacture date. My VIN was 16xx (yes 16xx that's not a typo :) ) and manufacturing date of 5/28.

I picked mine up yesterday. Since it was in a parking structure (no direct sunlight), I only spent 15 minutes making sure there there was no major mechanical or paint issues. When I took it home later that day, I spent 90 minutes reviewing my checklist. Found 9-10 issues (panel gaps, seat alignment, etc.), took pictures, documented and scheduled service on July. Issues I find were all normal ones that's been mentioned in various posts, but no deal breaker or anything major that'll make me lose any sleep at night. Hope that helps!

Among those that have already taken ownership of an MY, did anyone experience a hard time trying to take your time inspecting the car? I'm expecting to take delivery this coming week and am wondering if I'll be allowed to take my time or if I should expect to be rushed and/or given a certain amount of time. Thanks!
I picked up my MY 6/17 and was rushed from the minute I walked in the door. First they expected me to sign off on the car BEFORE I even saw it. I refused to sign until I first inspected the car and that's when the delivery rep started with an attitude like I had just messed up her day's schedule. In the pre-delivery email from the center, they told me the whole pick up process takes 10 minutes top, meaning they don't even account for giving you time to inspect. I had a horrible experience! Be prepared.
I will add that it all depends on the center you pickup from.

VIN # is not indicative of manufacture date. My VIN was 16xx (yes 16xx that's not a typo :) ) and manufacturing date of 5/28.

I picked mine up yesterday. Since it was in a parking structure (no direct sunlight), I only spent 15 minutes making sure there there was no major mechanical or paint issues. When I took it home later that day, I spent 90 minutes reviewing my checklist. Found 9-10 issues (panel gaps, seat alignment, etc.), took pictures, documented and scheduled service on July. Issues I find were all normal ones that's been mentioned in various posts, but no deal breaker or anything major that'll make me lose any sleep at night. Hope that helps!

Sure it is. VIN is not sequential, but a certain block can be safely assumed to be manufactured within a certain timeframe. For example 9xxx+ VINS are all after factory re-opening. And for those few cars that had lower VINS they are probably returned/repaired cars put together before shut down. Tesla pretends they never left the factory (as if manufacturing defects were found at the factory floor) and so sticker on it is updated to mark the date the car is ready for delivery again. Because it is a new car. But VIN stays the same, since a lot of components are tied to VIN and you cant change that.

Sure it is. VIN is not sequential, but a certain block can be safely assumed to be manufactured within a certain timeframe. For example 9xxx+ VINS are all after factory re-opening. And for those few cars that had lower VINS they are probably returned/repaired cars put together before shut down. Tesla pretends they never left the factory (as if manufacturing defects were found at the factory floor) and so sticker on it is updated to mark the date the car is ready for delivery again. Because it is a new car. But VIN stays the same, since a lot of components are tied to VIN and you cant change that.
that has been my assumption too, but of course with no proof.

That is incorrect as well. The post you are replying to states the 16XX (as in the first 2000 VINs) was manufacture 5/28 which would be post factory shut down. We also saw on here that literal VIN #1 (5YJYGDEF1LF000001) was manufacture in May (post factory shutdown). So unless they didn't produce a single Model Y prior to the factory shutting down, VIN's are not sequential (in any shape or form).

That is incorrect as well. The post you are replying to states the 16XX (as in the first 2000 VINs) was manufacture 5/28 which would be post factory shut down. We also saw on here that literal VIN #1 (5YJYGDEF1LF000001) was manufacture in May (post factory shutdown). So unless they didn't produce a single Model Y prior to the factory shutting down, VIN's are not sequential (in any shape or form).

Im still sticking to my theory that the 16xx as well as the 0001 VIN cars had manufactduring defects that were either caught during production (I would expect the first car to be all sorts of messed up) or were attempted deliveries but were rejected and then redone at the factory. Then the updated manufacturing sticker date was put on after it went through the factory again.

Otherwise we would see random Vins are all over the place. But as time passes they are getting higher and higher. Its very rare to see an early VIN, and like I said I think those are re-worked cars. Looking at VIN trackers you can see a clear correlation with date and VIN# both increasing over time. (as seen here https://twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1078424568975507457/photo/1)

Im still sticking to my theory that the 16xx as well as the 0001 VIN cars had manufactduring defects that were either caught during production (I would expect the first car to be all sorts of messed up) or were attempted deliveries but were rejected and then redone at the factory. Then the updated manufacturing sticker date was put on after it went through the factory again.

Otherwise we would see random Vins are all over the place. But as time passes they are getting higher and higher. Its very rare to see an early VIN, and like I said I think those are re-worked cars. Looking at VIN trackers you can see a clear correlation with date and VIN# both increasing over time. (as seen here https://twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1078424568975507457/photo/1)
Agree with this assessment. Where do you think the March cars that were rejected or never even shown to a consumer all went? The VIN is immutable. The manufacturing date isn't.

Agree with this assessment. Where do you think the March cars that were rejected or never even shown to a consumer all went? The VIN is immutable. The manufacturing date isn't.

and if you need a reason to change the date, its warranty. They know they deliver the cars within days of manufacture. So the sticker reflects +- a week date when warranty starts. Thats one of myriad reasons, one of other ones would be people looking at the delivery guy sideways when its June and the car they get delivered has a sticker that says it was made in March. I wouldnt take that car! It would be an odd thing. Like everyoen buying a pastry that has Sell By date a week from now, and the one you get has sell by date Today.

I picked up my MY 6/17 and was rushed from the minute I walked in the door. First they expected me to sign off on the car BEFORE I even saw it. I refused to sign until I first inspected the car and that's when the delivery rep started with an attitude like I had just messed up her day's schedule. In the pre-delivery email from the center, they told me the whole pick up process takes 10 minutes top, meaning they don't even account for giving you time to inspect. I had a horrible experience! Be prepared.
I will add that it all depends on the center you pickup from.

That’s awful. I spoke with a delivery agent where I’ll be picking up and he actually advised me to not make my down payment until I’ve had a chance to inspect the car and I know I’ll be accepting delivery. He also said I’m welcome to inspect the car as long as I want, no matter how long, and joked that the only caveat is that I could only stay until the location closes for the day. Sorry for the experience you had. I don’t think that’s the kind of service you should expect Tesla to be serving up!

No issues that bother me so far... the paint issues we identified on pickup were noted by our delivery tech. A friend that's a model 3 owner and Tesla nut went over it with a fine tooth comb. The only thing he pointed out was the left and right back seats weren't exactly even (one side a little higher). I didn't really care but he said if we point it out that Tesla would fix it.

Hey guys, just registered an account because I'm supposed get my Model Y tomorrow, but have lurked for awhile. A word on VINs from friends that actually used to work at Tesla:

Tesla stock price has traditionally been very unstable, and a lot of that has come from speculation (positive or negative) as to whether Tesla can manufacture cars at sufficient scale/speed/quality to be competitive with traditional car makers. As such, unlike other car makers, Tesla has been extremely opaque and secretive about their daily/weekly/monthly production numbers until the quarterly earnings call.

The problem is, speculators years ago began to notice that they could look at the reported delivery VIN numbers and guess how many cars Tesla was producing per week, and thus buy or sell the stock accordingly to get a jump on the official production numbers.

So to stop this, Tesla did something that I believe is unique to them: they pre-registered multiple, giant blocks of VINs across wide ranges, and when cars are made, they randomly assign one of those reserved VINs to the car. That way, there is no way for speculators to know from the VIN numbers, either by sequence or by "block," how many cars Tesla is making until they decide to tell everyone.

Eventually, they "run out" of VINs in reserved lower block ranges, so there's eventually a "cutoff" where lower VINs stop getting made. But other than that, do not assume there is any implied relationship between VIN and manufacture date, either sequentially or by block.

Hey guys, just registered an account because I'm supposed get my Model Y tomorrow, but have lurked for awhile. A word on VINs from friends that actually used to work at Tesla:

Tesla stock price has traditionally been very unstable, and a lot of that has come from speculation (positive or negative) as to whether Tesla can manufacture cars at sufficient scale/speed/quality to be competitive with traditional car makers. As such, unlike other car makers, Tesla has been extremely opaque and secretive about their daily/weekly/monthly production numbers until the quarterly earnings call.

The problem is, speculators years ago began to notice that they could look at the reported delivery VIN numbers and guess how many cars Tesla was producing per week, and thus buy or sell the stock accordingly to get a jump on the official production numbers.

So to stop this, Tesla did something that I believe is unique to them: they pre-registered multiple, giant blocks of VINs across wide ranges, and when cars are made, they randomly assign one of those reserved VINs to the car. That way, there is no way for speculators to know from the VIN numbers, either by sequence or by "block," how many cars Tesla is making until they decide to tell everyone.

Eventually, they "run out" of VINs in reserved lower block ranges, so there's eventually a "cutoff" where lower VINs stop getting made. But other than that, do not assume there is any implied relationship between VIN and manufacture date, either sequentially or by block.
Great insight.

Yet the biggest critics here with their crystal ball will still speculate and claim that any VIN 19999 or less as of today are rejects/returns.

Baffling..

Last edited: