Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience on Battery Degradation and How Tesla Handles It

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be a new record for a 75 for sure.

To be completely clear, when you say "get 200 miles out of it" you mean that a 100% charge indicates 200 range miles on the display?

What are your regular charging habits?

I charge at home from a NEMA14-50 plug and set it to 30A. I normally charge to ~75%. I've never been a heavy supercharger user; probably less than 35 times across the life on the car (just over four years).

Recently went on a short road trip: almost exactly 100 miles door to door and almost exclusively highway driving. Charged to 100% and entered the destination in the navigation. Made the drive under normal conditions (temperatures in the 60's, speed 70-75mph) and arrived with 51% charge remaining - exactly as predicted by the navigation computer before we left.

When it was time for the return trip, the nav system warned that I needed to stay below 60 mph to reach my destination. Luckily there is a supercharger at the midway point and just a short detour from the straight route so I stopped there instead of driving so slowly.

This is a repeatable exercise for me; I've done this trip three times in the last six months and the battery performance is the same every time. When I shared this data with Tesla they claimed to see zero problems with the battery pack.

To aerodyne: the car went out of warranty last month but this is an issue I raised more than once with Tesla while it was still under warranty.

I charge at home from a NEMA14-50 plug and set it to 30A. I normally charge to ~75%. I've never been a heavy supercharger user; probably less than 35 times across the life on the car (just over four years).

Recently went on a short road trip: almost exactly 100 miles door to door and almost exclusively highway driving. Charged to 100% and entered the destination in the navigation. Made the drive under normal conditions (temperatures in the 60's, speed 70-75mph) and arrived with 51% charge remaining - exactly as predicted by the navigation computer before we left.

When it was time for the return trip, the nav system warned that I needed to stay below 60 mph to reach my destination. Luckily there is a supercharger at the midway point and just a short detour from the straight route so I stopped there instead of driving so slowly.

This is a repeatable exercise for me; I've done this trip three times in the last six months and the battery performance is the same every time. When I shared this data with Tesla they claimed to see zero problems with the battery pack.

To aerodyne: the car went out of warranty last month but this is an issue I raised more than once with Tesla while it was still under warranty.
Thanks for clarifying.

The reason I asked is because "not getting rated range in the real world" is not exactly the same thing as battery degradation.

My 2016 S75 also has a real world range of about 200 miles, but the rated range the car reports at 100% charge is 220 miles.

OP should get the cable and use ScanMyTesla or TMSpy. You can identify bad modules and, yes, Tesla will replace the battery if there are faulty modules (under warranty).
It's real easy to do the above, if not, spending $55 has low likelihood to result in battery replacement, but the chance is greater than zero. I'd argue that's a bet worth taking.

Thanks for clarifying.

The reason I asked is because "not getting rated range in the real world" is not exactly the same thing as battery degradation.

My 2016 S75 also has a real world range of about 200 miles, but the rated range the car reports at 100% charge is 220 miles.

Oh, yes. Mine reports 200 miles as well, which is down considerably from the original 249. If it were still reporting ~225 miles at this point I would accept that as perfectly normal.

OP should get the cable and use ScanMyTesla or TMSpy. You can identify bad modules and, yes, Tesla will replace the battery if there are faulty modules (under warranty).
It's real easy to do the above, if not, spending $55 has low likelihood to result in battery replacement, but the chance is greater than zero. I'd argue that's a bet worth taking.
^^^ This....also can spot high consumption due to accessories and vampire drain during stops, while the car only reports usage when driving.