Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences going from a 3 to a Y? Considering trading my 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 that I'm considering trading in for a Y. For those who have gone from a 3 to a Y have you been happy with the change?

I like the driving dynamics of the 3 but could really use the extra room of the Y.

Currently have a 3, trading in for a Y

It all comes down to personal preference. Do you prefer a sporty go kart feeling vehicle OR do you want more utility/a higher ride height.

one vehicle isn’t better than the other, it just depends on your needs.

I love my 3 and how it drives. However I would prefer having the ability to haul some items and sit higher.

Reactions: E Dizzle
I have a 2018 Model 3 that I'm considering trading in for a Y. For those who have gone from a 3 to a Y have you been happy with the change?

I like the driving dynamics of the 3 but could really use the extra room of the Y.

I can’t answer this directly, but I can tell you that my wife has Model 3 and I recently downsized from an X to a Y. So I now have experience with both the Y and the 3. The space of the Y is much better than the 3. The higher seating in the Y makes getting in and out easier. The Y is smaller than the X - but not as much as you would think. The second row seating of the Y is much more spacious than the 3. I like driving the Y more than the 3 because of the higher seating position but the handling seems very similar to the 3. I say go for it!

• Informative
Drove a Y the other day, It has far worse ride quality than my AWD 3, worse visibility and is much more lifeless and not as much fun. I really wanted to like the Y for the space but it still needs work and the space for me is not worth all the other hits including range. No to mention it is much slower off the line, if they made a sleeper performance for $5k more I may reconsider but the performance is far overpriced and the wheels are a huge anchor.

• Informative
Reactions: JWardell
Experiences going from a 3 to a Y? Considering trading my 3
Same situation, but with the current economic situation, I would be interested knowing about the trade value offered by Tesla?

A new 2020 Model Y AWD 20" Tow Hitch FSD is $62k (inc delivery, before sales taxes and dmv)

My October 2018 Model 3 AWD 19" FSD was $73k (inc delivery, before sales taxes and DMV)
but at the time I got a Fed and State discount of $10k, so basically I paid $63k (before tax & dmv)

Carfax list my 2018 Model 3 AWD just above $50k

Carvana offer is about $30k

Last edited:
  • Informative
With the current economic situation, I would be interested knowing about the trade value offered by Tesla?

A new 2020 Model Y AWD 20" Tow Hitch FSD is $62k (inc delivery, before sales taxes and dmv)

My October 2018 Model 3 AWD 19" FSD was $73k (inc delivery, before sales taxes and DMV)
but at the time I got a Fed and State discount of $10k, so basically I paid $63k (before tax & dmv)

Carfax list my 2018 Model 3 AWD just above $50k

Carvana offer is about $30k

wow Carvana is offering 24k for my 2018 Accord Touring. New was 34k.

Why they are giving you only 30k for car that cost over 60k ?

Carvana is offering $38,200 for my 2019 SR+ with 7,200 miles. I think I paid about $42k for it....

Due to price cuts and great interest rates I’m debating between a LR Model Y or LR Model 3...

I would kind of like the extra rear leg room and cargo space and single sheet of glass for the roof, but to be honest I rarely have rear seat passengers. (I’m single and it’s been over a year since friends & I have gone road trip...) However, I do feel a little bad when I do have rear pax even just around town since it is kinda tight back there...

The Y would only be half a second quicker to 60 where as the LR Model 3 would be almost a full second faster...

Ground clearance would be nicer for winter driving, but it’s what, about ~1.4 inches difference? I do already have a second set of 18” Aeros with snow tires... the Y would require probably one winter on the all seasons before I wanted to shell out the cash for a dedicated winter set on those 19s (and still I would be using “performance winters” [Sottozero] instead of full winters [xIce 3]...)

Still debating a lot... plus there is a $3,000 price difference....

So hard to decide

wow Carvana is offering 24k for my 2018 Accord Touring. New was 34k.

Why they are giving you only 30k for car that cost over 60k ?
I am puzzle also how they determine the offer. You cannot negociate.
It's a touchless process. You just enter your VIN and Zipcode, and select Sell or Trade-in
I guess they need to make a profit and find a dealer.
KKB Market Value $40k
Local Market Val - $10,300k
Your Offer Value $29,700K​

• Informative
Same situation, but with the current economic situation, I would be interested knowing about the trade value offered by Tesla?

I have 2018 3 AWD/FSD/19" wheels, 34000 miles on ODO. Here is what I've collected on my vehicle:

Offers:
Tesla trade-in: $40,300
Carvana: $34000
Vroom: $29000

Valuation:
Carfax (private party value): $43000
Edmunds (private party value): $45000

Not only did Tesla give me the best offer on my car but the tax advantage (only paying sales tax on price difference) is another $3000 for me. Not hassling with trying to sell myself is another huge bonus.

Given the responses I'm going to test drive the Y today and if all goes as expected I'm going to pull the trigger on the performance version. :)

I have 2018 3 AWD/FSD/19" wheels, 34000 miles on ODO. Here is what I've collected on my vehicle:

Offers:
Tesla trade-in: $40,300
Carvana: $34000
Vroom: $29000

Valuation:
Carfax (private party value): $43000
Edmunds (private party value): $45000

Not only did Tesla give me the best offer on my car but the tax advantage (only paying sales tax on price difference) is another $3000 for me. Not hassling with trying to sell myself is another huge bonus.

Given the responses I'm going to test drive the Y today and if all goes as expected I'm going to pull the trigger on the performance version. :)

interestingly I have the same exact build as you except mine is a 2019 and I have roughly 11,000 on the odometer. Tesla offered me $43,300

If we exclude the fact that my car is one year newer than yours, that means Tesla’s per mile depreciation rate is $7.67

Depends on what "room" you seek.

There is more front leg room on the 3 than Y.

There is more rear leg room on the Y than 3.

There is more rear hip room on 3 than Y.

There is a larger pass through and taller cargo area on Y than 3.

Y is ~66 cu ft with seats folded.

3 is ~45 cu ft with seats folded.

Most of the Y extra volume is vertical, so if you can actually make use of the space depends if your items stored are taller or can stack. When I buy groceries, they don't tend to stack well, so the Y and 3 are basically the same size, though Y will be easier to grab stuff from the rear of the trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: ChadS and EVNation
Depends on what "room" you seek.

There is more front leg room on the 3 than Y.

There is more rear leg room on the Y than 3.

There is more rear hip room on 3 than Y.

There is a larger pass through and taller cargo area on Y than 3.

Y is ~66 cu ft with seats folded.

3 is ~45 cu ft with seats folded.

Most of the Y extra volume is vertical, so if you can actually make use of the space depends if your items stored are taller or can stack. When I buy groceries, they don't tend to stack well, so the Y and 3 are basically the same size, though Y will be easier to grab stuff from the rear of the trunk.
I use the extra large under deck storage in the back regularly. Groceries, and indeed a whole case of wine, will fit it in with the deck in place, not so with the M3.

I went from a LR AWD M3 to a Performance Y with PUP and it’s definitely a better car. It’s much quieter, still drives amazingly well, and the extra space is important to me. I am actually surprised how well it rides. Everyone says the 21” wheels make for a rough ride but it’s smoother than my model 3 with 19” sport wheels.
What vintage of M3 did you have?

In terms of ride quality and noise their both pretty average. That said, anyone coming from ICE is going to think both are amazing in regards to performance