Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences going from a 3 to a Y? Considering trading my 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla trade in on Model 3 is terrible at the moment, they are almost $8k lower on my 2019 Model 3 LR AWD compared to Carvana's offer.

I also quickly checked out the Y yesterday since we would like a bigger back seat and trunk with two little kids. Trunk is visibly larger and the shape is more usable but when I put our rear facing car seat behind my driving position the legroom was pretty much identical to our 3. Sitting next to the car seat, the width in the back seat also felt identical to the 3.

If I was buying a new Tesla today, I would probably pick the Y but as a current 3 owner I don't see a large enough gain in interior space to justify the switch...

This question might be better suited for a separate thread, but I'll try it here first.

I am considering trading my M3 for an MY. The MY AWD comes with 19 inch wheels. I have snow tires for the M3. Does anyone know if the M3 18 inch wheels can be used on the MY?

Thanks

Zoomit did a fantastic job showing that they would work, here. I already sold my 3 and my Y should be arriving shortly, so I plan to use my extra set of Aero wheels that have Michelin X-Ice3's with the Y.

I am genuinely surprised at this. My assumption was that the Y would be a little noisier than the 3 due to being taller. It would seem however that Tesla have made a specific effort to improve cabin noise in the Y after getting some criticism on this for the 3.
One thing I have noted with Tesla; they pay very close attention to what people have to say about their cars. I have no doubt that given a semi-fresh start that they devoted considerable effort to addressing what has been one of the most widespread and consistent complaints about the 3 and that is NOISE, both road and wind. I would have been shocked it the Y weren't much better! From what I gather, even the later 3's are better in this regard than the early ones.

I want to trade my M3, but need to trade in and pick up on the same day. Will trading it to tesla will allow me to do this? Also,i got a better offer from Carvana,so i wonder if they would wait till i got my MY? Has anyone gone through this?
How would the loan work if my car is paid off? Do i ask for the full amount of the MY when making the application?

I want to trade my M3, but need to trade in and pick up on the same day. Will trading it to tesla will allow me to do this? Also,i got a better offer from Carvana,so i wonder if they would wait till i got my MY? Has anyone gone through this?
How would the loan work if my car is paid off? Do i ask for the full amount of the MY when making the application?
You do trade in and pick up on the same day. I parked my trade in, signed a paper, and walked straight to my new vehicle.

carvana will make you an offer that is good for X number of days and under X amount of additional mileage. If that time expires, you would have to get it reappraised by then. You can turn it in whenever you would like.

if you have a title in hand you would sign it over to whomever is purchasing and they would give you a check for the car.

Reactions: djgarrett21
You do trade in and pick up on the same day. I parked my trade in, signed a paper, and walked straight to my new vehicle.
This is with tesla,right?

Carvana will make you an offer that is good for X number of days and under X amount of additional mileage. If that time expires, you would have to get it reappraised by then. You can turn it in whenever you would like.
I got an offer higher than tesla. 7 day offer.
What do you mean by,I could turn it in whenever I like? Will carvana let me hold my car till i get the MY if i accept their offer?

If you have a title in hand you would sign it over to whomever is purchasing and they would give you a check for the car.
When i apply for a loan,do i apply for the full price? Then when i get a check from Carvana i give that to the loan?

This is with tesla,right?

I got an offer higher than tesla. 7 day offer.
What do you mean by,I could turn it in whenever I like? Will carvana let me hold my car till i get the MY if i accept their offer?

When i apply for a loan,do i apply for the full price? Then when i get a check from Carvana i give that to the loan?

- Yes with Tesla

- Carvana will not let you accept the offer and then hold your vehicle till the Y comes in. You either need to sell your vehicle to them within the 7 day window of their offer OR you let that offer expire and when you know the vehicle is coming in, have them re-appraise it.

- There are two ways you can handle this:
1) Take out a loan for the full value of the Tesla. When you do finally get around to selling your other vehicle, immediately put that money towards the loan

2) You sell the vehicle before you do any of your loan processing. Then you only take a loan out for the amount that was not covered from the sale of your other vehicle.

- Yes with Tesla

- Carvana will not let you accept the offer and then hold your vehicle till the Y comes in. You either need to sell your vehicle to them within the 7 day window of their offer OR you let that offer expire and when you know the vehicle is coming in, have them re-appraise it.

I just sold my TM3 to Carvana a couple of weeks ago. While you only have 7 days to accept their offer and submit the required paperwork, you then get several weeks to actually schedule the pickup / sale. For example, I received my Carvana offer on July 13th, accepted their offer and scheduled the sale on July 20th and then the actual sale / pickup was on August 7th.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts 4 Me
Tesla trade in on Model 3 is terrible at the moment, they are almost $8k lower on my 2019 Model 3 LR AWD compared to Carvana's offer.

I also quickly checked out the Y yesterday since we would like a bigger back seat and trunk with two little kids. Trunk is visibly larger and the shape is more usable but when I put our rear facing car seat behind my driving position the legroom was pretty much identical to our 3. Sitting next to the car seat, the width in the back seat also felt identical to the 3.

If I was buying a new Tesla today, I would probably pick the Y but as a current 3 owner I don't see a large enough gain in interior space to justify the switch...
Model 3 and Model Y rear seats are exactly the same except model y is a bit taller. The leg room is the same too.

According to Tesla, there are 5 more inches of rear legroom in the Y. I'm 6'4" and previously owned a Model 3, and there's definitely more rear legroom and headroom in the Y. Also, the rear seats recline and are higher off the floor, so I found the rear seats much more comfortable in the Y, than they were in my 3.

Also the main seats are 2" narrower making the center seat 4in wider. World of difference for the center person if you're sitting 3 wide.

If not the pull down cupholder and arm rest is nicer too.

The raised seat definitely helps your legs go more vertical so you feel like you're in a chair instead of on the floor.