Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experts ONLY: comment on whether vision+forward radar is sufficient for Level 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yet they KEEP filing them.
I guess this is a difference between want and need. They need patents on hand for defensive and negotiation purposes, even if they don't intend to use them for offensive purposes.

It's kind of like militarization. There's a lot of countries that have never initiated a conflict, but almost all countries in the world have a military or equivalently a defense agreement with another country with a military.

Reactions: Topher and EinSV
Until we get objective comparison reviews of the system (similar to the linked articles where vehicles are tested under same conditions), this is just speculation.

Tesla are still struggling to even recognize curbs, road edges and barriers as lanes marking.

There are false positive braking almost every trip.

Received the new software update overnight. I got my first false positive of a side collision. This was on a side road. A large 18-wheeler was in the lane to my left and there was a slight bend in the road, right-to-left bend and my display showed that truck trying to make its way into my lane and so my car tapped the brakes even though the truck never moved out of its lane.

I got two false ones yesterday. Other car stayed in it's lane.

My MS came to a hard near full stop with in busy traffic today, crossing under a bridge. Car behind me stopped in time, but the one behind it had to dodge to the side. The car in front of me wasn't near, and my car kept braking even as it continued to speed away.

Dangerous.

it constantly tries to veer me into that wall, despite the ultrasonic sensors showing the car is close. I still get phantom braking on occasion from overhead signs, and signs on the raised cement median, and the throttle sometimes "shutters" even on an open road.

and here's it braking for a bag of chips lol

and when it needs to brake it doesn't even brake.

With 17.17.4 -
Yesterday I was following a white pickup truck on a surface street with a 45 MPH speed limit. TACC was set to 50 MPH. Approaching a stop light, the truck started slowing down - and TACC began matching that and started slowing done. Then, the software lost track of the pick up truck and started accelerating - if I hadn't taken control, we would likely have slammed into the pick up truck.

and heres video proof from another person.

1 min 0 secs

look at what happens when it rains.

Anyone who thinks tesla replicated mobileye eye3 in 6 months needs to share with us whatever they are smoking. its been 8 months and they are no where close to parity with ap1 and clocks still ticking.

AP1 on the other hand

My MX100D (AP2) with 17.17.4 went into the service center today. They lent me a MS75P (AP1). This is the first AP1 car I have driven.

Woah! What a difference. The Autopilot on AP1 is massively smoother. My girlfriend just kept talking about how much better and smoother it is. How much more calm and confident she felt as a passenger. It handled just about any situation on highways like a champ. Merging traffic, lane changes, overpasses, signs, etc.

I can see why people on these forums talk about AP1/AP2 parity with such conviction. AP1 is so much better by a long shot. Though, I feel that Tesla can get us there and soon.

Last edited:
Tesla are still struggling to even recognize curbs, road edges and barriers as lanes marking.

1 min 0 secs

Anyway who thinks tesla replicated mobileye eye3 in 6 months needs to share what they are smoking. its been 8 months and they are no where close to parity with ap1.

AP1 on the other hand
[/QUOTE]

My quote was about side collision false warnings...

But I've had my share of false TACC. Tesla seems to be getting better quickly with whitelisting.

You should work for Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. because every one of them can't do this 100% of the time. They must not be as successful as you are ;)

You feel that Tesla put as much though into the media player as into mission critical items??? Do even remotely think the same software developers did both? Do you think the media player is as rigorously tested and validated as mission critical software?

Tesla doesn't need to be transparent on how they are developing software and that hasn't stopped you from assuming they are incompetent. Tesla has been transparent about their release and testing process but you still seem to think it goes magically from a hand full of beta testers straight to 100% of the general public which is not the case at all, and has never been the case. Tesla uses a similar process to other tech companies especially with the notion of shadow mode.

Here's a good book for you to read The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations: Gene Kim, Patrick Debois, John Willis, Jez Humble, John Allspaw: 9781942788003: Amazon.com: Books

Other major companies (Tesla needs to be considered a "major" company now, with a valuation higher than GM and Ford) also suffer from bugs getting into released products - all software has flaws. But they don't have the obvious flaws Tesla has had in their releases.

As one of Tesla's early Model S customers (VIN 3xxx), I've been willing to accept the flaws in Tesla's software - it's understandable for a young company trying to aggressively get products to market.

My concern is that customers like my wife anxiously waiting to get a Model 3 may not be as tolerant. It's very likely that the customers paying less for their Tesla cars will be less understanding - and if Tesla continues using their current process, they risk getting a bad reputation among their Model 3 customers.

I'm not advocating Tesla adopts a "failure is not an option" methodology like what NASA uses for their mission critical systems, but they should be able to take a few reasonable steps, that other companies have been taking, to detect and correct more of the obvious problems, before they get out to customers.

But they don't have the obvious flaws Tesla has had in their releases.
I don't know, I'd consider the GM ignition flaw which they knew about for a decade, which cost human lives, a pretty big, obvious, flaw. There's also the Jeep flaw that cost Anton Yelchin his life. Every major manufacturer has these stories. It's more of a measure of how quickly are these things found and addressed.

NASA has also had some failures, some were simple metric/imperial unit mistakes. Many things seem obvious with the benefit of hindsight.

I do agree that Tesla should focus on quality control for the Model 3 even more so than for all previous models with both software and hardware. I firmly believe Elon understands this as well, which is why employees are getting the first few thousand cars off the line.

1 min 0 secs

Anyone who thinks tesla replicated mobileye eye3 in 6 months needs to share with us whatever they are smoking. its been 8 months and they are no where close to parity with ap1 and clocks still ticking.

AP1 on the other hand
The comment was talking about who has the best implementation of Mobileye, so it'll mostly be a comparison of AP1 vs the Volvo system. And for AP2, the latest update supposedly adds significant improvement. Hard to tell which is better just from anecdotes. A comparison under the same route and seeing how many user interventions are required (as in the articles linked) is the easiest to tell. I'm sure someone will eventually do that with PA2 if it's any good (maybe when Supercruise comes out there will be a follow up comparison test).