Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

exploding side mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I took possession of my 2022 performance 3, 2 days ago. Today, while driving, I heard a loud bang and saw that the back of the passenger mirror had blown off, leaving the mirror in front hanging by a wire. I was unable to stop and so the mirror banged around and scratched the door until I was able to stop and push it back into the frame. Has anyone ever experienced this? I did not hit anything, it was too loud for it to have been a rock. Tesla is coming out to repair in several days but I'm anticipating they will say it's not their problem. Any suggestions appreciated.

Yeah, kind of hard to prove. The worst I've read is the bottom of the mirror not being fully snapped into place, causing whistling. Not sure how a mirror could explode without something contacting it. Cross your fingers, maybe you'll get lucky. Did you look at your dash cam footage to see if anything shows on camera?

Our passenger side exploded also but Tesla would not cover it. We bought a new mirror insert from them and a painted mirror cap and black bottom on eBay. Cost $280 in parts and everything snapped back together. Tesla wanted to replace the whole thing for $1,000. Hope it doesn’t repeat. It’s been 2 months. We were driving 30 mph in our neighborhood. It sounded like a tire blowout.

Attachments

• IMG_3045.jpeg
    IMG_3045.jpeg
    467.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC