Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Agreement... Should I???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This should be helpful for the decision process.
Here are screenshots (9 pages) of the contract I purchased for $4,250 ~September 2018 for my March 2018 Model S 100D - your contract may be different:
529DBFCB-E5B9-442F-9A48-1B053C8CEF6D.jpeg
D0EA4352-DED2-433A-8B68-E37919399504.jpeg
ACE7950A-511A-4E34-9FAE-334D1FF1FB2E.jpeg
87D65E52-50A3-4FCC-9797-9446A0FB9927.jpeg
BDB721CA-C8DD-4DAF-B0D2-B432DC3EB78F.jpeg
5725C3E8-A39F-46EA-A410-FF20F184DEC4.jpeg
27DFAD3E-45AE-47AD-B219-50395B8CEA4B.jpeg
417C3DBC-4FA4-448D-B88C-5C210A1F8497.jpeg
6502C63B-5E8D-4182-9AE7-C91B85D43D9F.jpeg

Hmmmmm.... Adjustments for Leaks not covered-another reason I am happy with the solid roof choice. Thera are a LOT of exclusions, to be sure.... REALLY gotta read and interpret the language, in favour of the issuer, before making an analysis of risk/reward, though. There are so many areas that have weasel room, if TESLA chooses to, for whatever reason, go that way. OTOH, really hard to find alternative repair options-warranty or not. Seems that with the fleet aging significantly in the coming few years, a nice profit center for TESLA is likely to be in place one way or the other...

Thank you very much

FURY

I another thread about this it was mentioned that in addition to the $4200 warranty cost there is a $4000 deductible before they start paying.

I confirmed that with a salesman who was trying to get me to upgrade

Your out of pocket would be nearly $9000

The agreement is posted a posts before yours. (Thanks @Daniellane, I hate that Tesla doesn't make this easier to find for those weighing their options). No need to spread such misinformation.

There's a $200 deductible per visit (many claiming they've gotten around paying that, even....especially if the car is in for something else already, such as an annual service). There's no $4000 deductible before they start paying.

...$4000 deductible before they start paying...

That's contradictory to the contract's language that says $200 deductible per visits but in my cases and I've heard from others, we did not have to pay any deductible when the car visits were already scheduled for an annual visit and not an off scheduled visit.

However, it is true that the contract also implies that paying ESA and deductibles are not the only costs.

If you read under the heading "C. Your Responsibilities", you need to keep up with annual checkups during the duration of the contract. Those don't come free. They don't post publically how much those annual checkups anymore so I don't know the exact figures (the costs are on your individual Tesla Account for your case and not generic for the public.)

For my Model X, I pre-paid 4 year maintenance plan for $2,750. I imagine it would cost more if I won't be able pre-pay another 4 years during the ESA contract. It might be more than $3,000 but I am not sure the $4,000 mentioned figured above.

However, in reality, I haven't heard Tesla has enforced this language and denying coverage for those who didn't do annual checkups during the term of the contract.

1) $600 Mobile Connector bundle: There were signs of overheat at connections and it was pre-emptively replaced.

Mobile connector bundle is now $300. Perhaps the gen2 one is cheaper.

2) $4,000 whole MCU (17" display & its computer): There were bubbles on the screen but still useable. it was pre-emptively replaced.

They have replaced screen only for $1k

3) $4,500 Cabin Heater: It never snows where I live so I don't actually need a heater but it was pre-emptively replaced in case.

Cabin heater isn’t that expensive, but I’ve read the DC to DC is pricey. Maybe that was the big cost?

This is one of the items that scares me.

I another thread about this it was mentioned that in addition to the $4200 warranty cost there is a $4000 deductible before they start paying.

I confirmed that with a salesman who was trying to get me to upgrade

Your out of pocket would be nearly $9000

I hate to ever use the disagree button. I have never heard of a $4k deductible (except with my crappy health insurance). Someone wasn’t telling you the truth.

I doubt I’ll do the ESA. I think I’ll mileage out too quickly to be worth it.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
Update:
It looks like cars purchased before 2017 (?) are locked in at the <180 days price. I checked another account for an S purchased in 2017. It shows the higher (after 180 days) prices while my S purchased 12/2016 still has the lower prices.

I also realize now that there's no option for the ESA for the Model 3...and no prices listed for it anywhere.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
IIRC the big issue with the MCU is the flash memory that is soldiered on gets worn out from too many read-write cycles and that is what renders the entire MCU useless. it really is too bad that this cannot br replaced separately (and cheaply) while retaining the otherwise working MCU.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Note that if you buy ESA you must pay for all scheduled maintenance, otherwise they can deny your claims. Figure this into your calculations. I am at 50k miles driving over 30k miles per year and it would mean coverage for less than 2 years with additional expense for unnecessary inspections every few months. I just paid for 4th annual service and my car is less than 2 years old. On top of it, they did fluid flushes "as a courtesy at customer request" and warned me that it would not be done again. In other words, at the fourth annual service you are paying $900 for what exactly? A fancy "inspection" and cabin filter/desiccant bag change.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We recently released "X-Care EV Protection", the only Extended Service Agreement for Model 3.

Included Benefits:
  • $100 Deductible per visit
  • 24/7 Roadside assistance
  • Trip Interruption

FAQ, Instant Quote tool, and Purchase at www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

If you have any questions, please comment or reach out directly - [email protected]

Happy to answer any questions!

TMC - Extended Warranty Newsflash!

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Title says it all. I have a Dec 2014 P85D, 33k miles

Previous issues:
-Drivers side triangle glass replaced (wind noise)
-Rear suspension link replaced (minor clunk noise, probably just a bad bushing)
-Mobile Charger (replaced twice)
-Rear chrome fascia replaced (taillight moisture)

Things I'm worried about:
-Smart Air Suspension
-Panoramic Sunroof
-Anything electronic
-I also feel like once i'm out of the bumper/bumper warranty, my service center experience will degrade.

If it weren't for the $200 per visit deductible, i'd probably jump on it.

Thoughts?

Just yes. I had a 2014 P85D, and while I loved it, there wasn't a year that I wasn't happy to have a warranty and service agreement. The earlier cars have some design issues that can quickly add up.