Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty claims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pianewman

2021 MYLR VIN 88,XXX, Rd/Wh, 12/20 delivery
Supporting Member
Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
I'm close to 50k miles with my 2021 MYLR, so the OEM warranty is almost finished.

My search here has turned up multiple threads about various companies, but I can't find any threads on actual extended warranty CLAIMS.

Has anyone posted here about making an actual claim with an extended warranty company?

Thanks!

Search @XCare EV, there’s quite a few threads regarding them. They are active on this forum as well. I purchased an extended warranty with them on my 2019 Model S last spring. Haven’t had to make a claim yet, but the pricing is reasonable and my communication with them during the purchasing process was excellent.

Reactions: XCare EV
I wouldn't buy an extended warranty for anything, but from a third party? Heck no ....
What’s wrong with buying an extended warranty from a third party for a Tesla? Do you have a personal bad experience with 3rd party Tesla warranties, or are you just talking out of your ass?
Paying a few grand to ensure an $80k car is warrantied for 4 years is a good insurance against buying new headlights that are known to go out, fix door handles that are known to break, replacing MCUs and onboard charging units that are known to break. A Tesla isn’t like a Honda Civic, there’s a lot to break, and when it does it isn’t cheap to fix.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
What’s wrong with buying an extended warranty from a third party for a Tesla?
Nothing wrong with it, really. Especially if it buys you piece of mind. Just be aware that the odds are against you. And with third party warraties, there will always be more hassle compared to a manufacturers warranty if you need to use it.
I just prefer to self insure for things that are affordable to me. Just posted my opinion, sorry if it offended you.

What’s wrong with buying an extended warranty from a third party for a Tesla? Do you have a personal bad experience with 3rd party Tesla warranties, or are you just talking out of your ass?
Paying a few grand to ensure an $80k car is warrantied for 4 years is a good insurance against buying new headlights that are known to go out, fix door handles that are known to break, replacing MCUs and onboard charging units that are known to break. A Tesla isn’t like a Honda Civic, there’s a lot to break, and when it does it isn’t cheap to fix.
I think there is nothing "wrong" with buying an extended warranty from a third party, or directly from Tesla for that matter.

This is more like an insurance to get that peace of mind for the next 4 years in case something were to break.

Any company would have gladly taken your money to warranty you, but the true test is when the need arises and you file that claim to get something fix, how helpful are they, how quickly they can cut you that check to get your car back to the way it was, etc.

That's what OP is asking if others have made claims against extended warranty.

I'm close to 50k miles with my 2021 MYLR, so the OEM warranty is almost finished.

My search here has turned up multiple threads about various companies, but I can't find any threads on actual extended warranty CLAIMS.

Has anyone posted here about making an actual claim with an extended warranty company?

Thanks!
Hey @Pianewman
We are here for you in you need us! More info can be found on our website evwarranty.com .
Check us out and let us know if you have any questions. You can also use referral code Xceleratetmc for $100 off!
Happy Driving!
-Team XCare

There are threads here with Xcare claims. Most experiences have been positive. One I read was negative and regarding a rubber spacer/gasket of some sort that they felt should be covered and Xcare said a wear item. With that exception, I have not read any concerns.

Yes, it is an insurance product and the house always wins.

Reactions: YBosy and flixden
HAHA! 13 pages of info unrelated to actual claims, only a few actual "claims" experiences posts. Good news is all of them were quite convincing.

It would be nice to have a single thread going, devoted entirely to actual claims experiences.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
That is true. Some. Few.
In the long run though, over decades and multiple vehicles, you are pretty much guaranteed to be on the winning side if you skip extended warranties. If you always skip them ....
That may have been true for ICE cars. But EVs have more complex electronic parts that can go wrong and are more expensive to fix. It’s true the house ultimately wins, which is why they can stay in business. But, there’s a greater chance the extended warranty will be used in an EV than an ICE.

Reactions: cbdream99
That is true. Some. Few.
In the long run though, over decades and multiple vehicles, you are pretty much guaranteed to be on the winning side if you skip extended warranties. If you always skip them ....
Mostly true, otherwise no one will be in extended warranties business. Extended warranties is always a gamble, one can save off for the future or one can buy the peace of mind, but really have to read the fine prints of what is covered and check their financial backings, never purchase anything from a demigod that promises you he will repair it for a low price.

If it is Lexus, I wouldn't purchase it, but I did purchase the warranty from Tesla for 4.5k, knowing for sure out of warranty repairs will be costly after two years into my S - at that time door handles are 1k a pop, MCU is a few Ks etc ... I claimed the head lights 3500 and apparently a poorly designed items that burns easily, coming up is the charge port which I think will cost 1k, I forced Tesla to replace the MCU yellowing screen after the upgrade, initially Tesla refused but later on they relent.

Tesla is simple, earlier whoever giving out the estimates may not know you have purchased extended warranty, now the process seems to be far more seamless and I don't have to worry much about it. XCare deductible is cheaper 100 vs 200, so far reviews have been positive.

With a couple of days of eligibility left, I just pulled the trigger on their battery and drive unit only warranty for my 2016 X. I generally do not purchase extended warranties since the few times I have it was never used. However, the 4K for an additional 9 years / 150,000 miles is a small investment compared to a potential 20K HV battery replacement cost. I plan to keep and drive this vehicle for quite a while so it was worth the peace of mind for the major component coverage. I can typically make lesser item repairs myself.