Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty? I can't believe it. What did he just say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone,

I have been shaken to my core and have no other words.

I called Tesla Customer Support @ 1-877-798-3752. Prompt 2 and then Prompt 2.

I told the rep that I am interested in acquiring an Extended warranty for my Model 3. He responded " At this time Tesla does not offer any extended warranties for the Model 3. "

No problem. -

I then told the rep that I'm concerned because I am putting a TON of miles on my car right now and I will probably exhaust my warranty before I've had the car for a year. I told him that if I were going to have to pay for my upcoming service appointment outside of warranty - then I would have to pay upwards to $1800 to $2000 that I don't have. I told him that I just want to know if I can speak to someone about this.

After a few min of pleasant conversation.....

He said to me " You do realize that you knowingly purchased your car with full knowledge that Tesla did not offer any kind of extended warranty".

I said "Excuse me?"

and then he said this " You do realize that you knowingly purchased your car with full knowledge that Tesla did not offer any kind of extended warranty - so......".

If I didn't record it on my phone I wouldn't believe it.

I don't know what to say. I'm floored.

Buy a third party warranty. I had Route 66 Easy Street warranty and it paid multiple times for me. Just make sure you get an exclusionary warranty. This brand is sold via many credit unions.

Also everyone knew that Tesla didn't offer Model 3 Extended warranties.

Does anyone actually offer a 3rd party warranty that will cover a Tesla?

I told the rep that I am interested in acquiring an Extended warranty for my Model 3. He responded " At this time Tesla does not offer any extended warranties for the Model 3. "

No problem. -

I then told the rep that I'm concerned because I am putting a TON of miles on my car right now and I will probably exhaust my warranty before I've had the car for a year. I told him that if I were going to have to pay for my upcoming service appointment outside of warranty - then I would have to pay upwards to $1800 to $2000 that I don't have. I told him that I just want to know if I can speak to someone about this.

This doesn't seem to make sense...the factory warranty doesn't cover routine service anyway....just repairs- so unless something is broken/defective you would be paying the same either way.

and then he said this " You do realize that you knowingly purchased your car with full knowledge that Tesla did not offer any kind of extended warranty - so......".

Why are you floored? He's correct, isn't he?

I wonder if they're waiting for statistics before offering one. However, I would imagine extended warranty makes a lot more sense for someone who drives like 10k/year rather than someone who drives 50k. I plan to drive 25k/year and I find it highly unlikely an extended warranty would pay off.

Reactions: Electroman
Buy a third party warranty. I had Route 66 Easy Street warranty and it paid multiple times for me. Just make sure you get an exclusionary warranty. This brand is sold via many credit unions.

Also everyone knew that Tesla didn't offer Model 3 Extended warranties.

I just called Route 66....and they are going to send me a quote via email.

You have the money for extended warranty but not for service? Also, nothing about what Tesla has said seems off, makes sense to me. Sucks about your budget, but try and plan accordingly I guess. Lame.

My current service call this weekend will be around $2k for one visit.
An extended warranty for a year shouldn't cost that much.

SO.....that's a lame statement.

to be honest, if you drive 50k miles in one year. why would you pay ~$5000(model s/x price) for warranty for another year? that doesnt make any sense to me. you are likely not to occur any repair beyond that price within a year.

I have had 6 service calls. Average 1 per month. Total cost for all exceeded $5800.

Not to mention the Enterprise Car Rentals that Tesla paid for.

What doesn't make sense again?

I have had 6 service calls. Average 1 per month. Total cost for all exceeded $5800.

That can't be right. All I've heard is that Model 3 is supposed to be vastly less costly to service than a comparable entry level luxury ICE vehicle due to the lack of an engine, transmission, 1/3 as many parts, etc.

I put more like 10K a year on mine and it will be GONE before the warranty is up based on what it looks like repairs on it would cost after the warranty expires.

That can't be right. All I've heard is that Model 3 is supposed to be vastly less costly to service than a comparable entry level luxury ICE vehicle due to the lack of an engine, transmission, 1/3 as many parts, etc.

I put more like 10K a year on mine and it will be GONE before the warranty is up based on what it looks like repairs on it would cost after the warranty expires.

Maybe it is less costly but when you average 1 service call per month....its not.

AND.....I have a buddy down the street with a Model S and he even has to pay when he receives mobile help over the phone.

Everyone,

I have been shaken to my core and have no other words.

I called Tesla Customer Support @ 1-877-798-3752. Prompt 2 and then Prompt 2.

No problem. -

After a few min of pleasant conversation.....

He said to me " You do realize that you knowingly purchased your car with full knowledge that Tesla did not offer any kind of extended warranty".

I said "Excuse me?"

Service and warranty are completely different.

Did 50 in 15 months or so on my S. To buy an extension would only cover me for a year with a deductible as I would be a 100k at month 27 based on my monthly calculations. Don't remember, but it was like $3500 or 4k to extend me for essentially one year. Seems like it wouldn't make sense for you either. Even if it was less to match 3 pricing.

Tesla did replace my rear tail light and applique even after being over by 3k. I tend not to be a chops buster. Everyone has a job to do. Not everyone's perfect, but a hug and a fist bump goes a long way these days. Even donuts and coffee for my Ranger :)

Mine sharing you 6 service calls and what they entailed? For someone shaken to the core and no other words to say. I see a boatload of words.

I'm confused. If I understand correctly, you are currently in-warranty, and you've spent over $5800 on service - which to me implies that these services would not be covered by an extended warranty either. So are you planning to spend money on service as well as for the extended warranty, which would probably be over $10k - every year? Sorry if I missed something...

I wonder if they're waiting for statistics before offering one. However, I would imagine extended warranty makes a lot more sense for someone who drives like 10k/year rather than someone who drives 50k. I plan to drive 25k/year and I find it highly unlikely an extended warranty would pay off.

Same here. My wife drives her MX about 12k a year, so the extended warranty would last her about 4 years. I bought it for the X. Also the X got a ton of things that could break.. FWD, all the door opening actuators (1 already broke), lots of screens inside, etc... I drive my M3 30K a year. Even if they offer extended warranty, I am not sure I would get it.. it will only last about 20 months and likely will be around $3000. So in those 20 months, if 1 thing break, it will probably be less than $3000. If 2 things break, I may come out ahead. It is quite possible that Tesla will not offer extended warranty for the 3. I guess I will wait and see what are the most common items to break in the 3 and how much people report they would cost.

Reactions: Leopold Stotch