Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty? I can't believe it. What did he just say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused. If I understand correctly, you are currently in-warranty, and you've spent over $5800 on service - which to me implies that these services would not be covered by an extended warranty either. So are you planning to spend money on service as well as for the extended warranty, which would probably be over $10k - every year? Sorry if I missed something...

No it sounds like he's looking at what the service he's had done would cost and assuming that's what he'd pay if the car was not under warranty which is a fair assumption.

I seem to recall someone had their screen replaced where it was not under warranty and the cost for just that was over $2500.

Same here. My wife drives her MX about 12k a year, so the extended warranty would last her about 4 years. I bought it for the X. Also the X got a ton of things that could break.. FWD, all the door opening actuators (1 already broke), lots of screens inside, etc... I drive my M3 30K a year. Even if they offer extended warranty, I am not sure I would get it.. it will only last about 20 months and likely will be around $3000. So in those 20 months, if 1 thing break, it will probably be less than $3000. If 2 things break, I may come out ahead. It is quite possible that Tesla will not offer extended warranty for the 3. I guess I will wait and see what are the most common items to break in the 3 and how much people report they would cost.

The bigger issue to me is that Tesla isn't allowing any authorized 3rd party repair to purchase parts from them.. it's not clear that they will even sell parts to an owner so they can do their own repairs.

Service and warranty are completely different.

Did 50 in 15 months or so on my S. To buy an extension would only cover me for a year with a deductible as I would be a 100k at month 27 based on my monthly calculations. Don't remember, but it was like $3500 or 4k to extend me for essentially one year. Seems like it wouldn't make sense for you either. Even if it was less to match 3 pricing.

Tesla did replace my rear tail light and applique even after being over by 3k. I tend not to be a chops buster. Everyone has a job to do. Not everyone's perfect, but a hug and a fist bump goes a long way these days. Even donuts and coffee for my Ranger :)

Mine sharing you 6 service calls and what they entailed? For someone shaken to the core and no other words to say. I see a boatload of words.

I have nothing to say to them.

Charge port door wouldn't open.
Frunk latch replacement.
Leaking seal in rear trunk.
Lights in trunk missing.
Car wouldn't charge - week 1.
No dual tone horn.
Window's on passenger side wouldn't roll all the way up.
Passenger side mirror wouldn't retract.

I'm confused. If I understand correctly, you are currently in-warranty, and you've spent over $5800 on service - which to me implies that these services would not be covered by an extended warranty either. So are you planning to spend money on service as well as for the extended warranty, which would probably be over $10k - every year? Sorry if I missed something...

No..I haven't spent anything.

I was able to retrieve the cost estimate totals from my service person...since I see her ever 3 to 4 weeks or so.

If I didn't have a warranty....that's how much it would have cost.

Now...when my warranty is up in about 6 months....what am I going to do then? I'm not paying another $900 per month in repairs like its costing Tesla right now.

I now have multiple sensors that have failed....and they are going to have to remove both front and rear bumpers to replace them.

Charge port door wouldn't open.
Frunk latch replacement.
Leaking seal in rear trunk.
Lights in trunk missing.
Car wouldn't charge - week 1.
No dual tone horn.
Window's on passenger side wouldn't roll all the way up.
Passenger side mirror wouldn't retract.

Most of those sound like manufacturing problems that were present immediately after delivery and not parts wearing out. Can you provide more info (how long after delivery, the cause of the problem)?

technically the rep is correct. Tesla currently does not offer and extended service agreement as they do on the S & X.
Anyone (including me) who bought a Model 3 knew that fact going in.
So those are both facts, not sure what there is to be shocked about.

It really does seem that you have had a great deal more than your fair share of issues though.

Reactions: electrictorque
technically the rep is correct. Tesla currently does not offer and extended service agreement as they do on the S & X.
Anyone (including me) who bought a Model 3 knew that fact going in.
So those are both facts, not sure what there is to be shocked about.

It really does seem that you have had a great deal more than your fair share of issues though.

It does not matter about "technically" anything.

If you don't get the reason for my post....then....ok.

There is always one....when you are trying to be serious.

I get being serious Garlan. You are talking about issues that you haven't experienced yet. The warranty is still working for you. As others have mentioned they seem delivery related and being solved for you. You have seen and talked about these issues with others that have waited in line to get the car. I would say you are well versed and knew the car you were buying. Putting 50k in a car in one year requires a little if not a lot of faith in that car. As your are in for the long run. I am in the same boat as you, but we have different outlooks.

Maybe if three out of four of your suspension parts failed at 1500 miles past warranty, and Tesla said no coverage....Which they are entitled to do by the way. Well then you have something to at that point in time be concerned about. Till then. The Model 3 you took delivery in August was a work in progress. Tesla are ironing out the issues. Takes some time. I just think to throw some burnable carbon on the fire at this time solves nothing.

Maybe would like to hear some follow up from Tesla on the issue of post warranty coverage. I will send in a note and ask my self @ my Tesla. Good luck. I am sure Tesla will help you with your issues.

I get being serious Garlan. You are talking about issues that you haven't experienced yet. The warranty is still working for you. As others have mentioned they seem delivery related and being solved for you. You have seen and talked about these issues with others that have waited in line to get the car. I would say you are well versed and knew the car you were buying. Putting 50k in a car in one year requires a little if not a lot of faith in that car. As your are in for the long run. I am in the same boat as you, but we have different outlooks.

Maybe if three out of four of your suspension parts failed at 1500 miles past warranty, and Tesla said no coverage....Which they are entitled to do by the way. Well then you have something to at that point in time be concerned about. Till then. The Model 3 you took delivery in August was a work in progress. Tesla are ironing out the issues. Takes some time. I just think to throw some burnable carbon on the fire at this time solves nothing.

Maybe would like to hear some follow up from Tesla on the issue of post warranty coverage. I will send in a note and ask my self @ my Tesla. Good luck. I am sure Tesla will help you with your issues.

Interesting that you say that throwing some burnable carbon on the fire at this time solves nothing - Because it has actually solved something.

I just got a call from Tesla about my burnable carbon concern and they have issued me an opportunity for an extended warranty on everything.
I have to check the details and pricing, however they did reach back out to me on their own.

They indicated to me - and I quote " If you are willing to exhaust your warranty in less than a year due to mileage....we won't leave you out there hanging".

They are adding a link to purchase an extended warranty to my account page in a little while.

NEVER say that the squeaky wheel doesn't get the oil. Especially not this month.

Last edited:
...Excuse me...

The operator is correct.

Extended Service Agreements are currently posted for Model S and X and not 3.

Any purchase prior to the news that Model 3 will have Extended Service Agreement is exactly what the operator said.

I have been assuming Extended Service Agreement will be offered for all models but that's only my assumption because no one has assured me that it will come.

There is always one....when you are trying to be serious.

Sorry, but I am being serious. If I had that many issues with a brand new car (regardless of which make) in its FIRST year, I would get rid of it ASAP and take my loss instead of putting MORE money into it when there's no end in sight of it being reliable. None of the issues you have are mileage-based.

The operator is correct.

Extended Service Agreements are currently posted for Model S and X and not 3.

Any purchase prior to the news that Model 3 will have Extended Service Agreement is exactly what the operator said.

I have been assuming Extended Service Agreement will be offered for all models but that's only my assumption because no one has assured me that it will come.

I'm not caring about the correctness of the operator. You don't get it. Its just not something that Tesla should say. It added nothing positive to the conversation.

Read the post right above yours.

Sorry, but I am being serious. If I had that many issues with a brand new car (regardless of which make) in its FIRST year, I would get rid of it ASAP and take my loss instead of putting MORE money into it when there's no end in sight of it being reliable. None of the issues you have are mileage-based.

I didn't say they were mileage based...

I said that my mileage would exhaust me of my warranty faster than my issues might show up.

Unlike you....I WILL NOT take a loss on anything. Period.

Read my post above.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Young people....don't let anyone push you around and you not speak up for yourself.

You don't have to be nasty or belligerent or act stupid. All you have to do is be able to accurately express yourself in a respectful manner - over and over and over and over if you have to. Be creative if necessary to place the other person in your shoes.

The person that pretty much told me "to bad for you" is NOT the same person who called me back and offered my an extended warranty.
I have talked with 5 service reps since him and finally got a sympathetic ear that was willing to go the extra mile. I never raised my voice or even got my heart rate up in the least. They ALL got treated with respect.

Websites and policies get created by humans and humans can adjust them ( Elon does that on a daily basis ) no matter what a website or policy says.

This message is for younger people who sometimes give up to quickly and easily.