Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty missing on my Tesla account - Still offered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As it happens my MX went over 50k today but is still under 51k when it would be disqualified. What do people advise:
1) quickly lock in the extended warranty while it is still available or
2) wait to see what the "new plan" ie tesla insurance or whatever it is.
I am tempted to wait a little because I can always do x-care thing if I do not like the "new plan"

I'd go ahead and purchase it. You have 60 days from the day it went over 50K miles or 4 years (today apparently) to cancel for a full refund. Buys you two months to wait and see what the new plans look like. I've attached the ESA for your bathroom reading pleasure.

Attachments

• SC-17-00-001_Tesla_Extended_Service_Agreement_United_States_0.pdf
    347.7 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Maaz
As it happens my MX went over 50k today but is still under 51k when it would be disqualified. What do people advise:
I am tempted to wait a little because I can always do x-care thing if I do not like the "new plan"

If I were me, I would choose number 1 because I don't like the unknown.

If I were you, I would select number 2 because you are tempted to wait and see other options.

I think that Tesla ESA has not been profitable so it wants to get out of that business.

Reactions: dookie
It can change as much as it can as long as it has not entered a contract with its customer.

Once a customer paid fully, the contract is sealed and not changeable to disadvantage customers (ok to change to go beyond what the contract allows such as waiving the $200 deductible for customers' advantage.)

The latest example is the pre-paid maintenance plans. Tesla still honors those plans if you already paid them but if you did not pay for them, it has no legal obligation to honor them.
Like the contract of free unlimited Supercharging for any future Model X or S that I bought in the future which was in effect when I bought the car, and was then changed?

Has anyone gone with the x-care extended warranty? Any issues?

I would jump on the current offer. “A bird in the hand is worth two shafts in the bush!”

I would guess that it is no so much a new plan as it is a reworded agreement to clarify what needs to be done as far as maintenance is concerned to keep the ESA active. I know the Service Center personnel had no clue what needed to be done.

Like the contract of free unlimited Supercharging for any future Model X or S that I bought in the future which was in effect when I bought the car, and was then changed?

There's no obligation if you didn't pay for the future car timely before the change.

To execute that contract, you need to be quick and pay for it while it's not changed. Once it's paid prior to the change, the term of free unlimited supercharging is sealed.

In 2012, Elon Musk also said free unlimited supercharging too. But it's only enforceable if you paid for it before the change.

If you are not quick enough and paid after the change, you sealed in the new no-free Supercharging.

I purchased my extended warranty for our 2016 Model X when it was first made available. It hasn’t gone into effect yet so I wonder what will happen ?

As @HappyHappy is kind enough to show us the contract above, Tesla cannot cancel the terms unless there are very limited reasons below:

1) Nonpayment
2) Fraud/Misrepresentation
3) Invalid Transfer

Your contract is enforceable because you already paid for it and sealed in the deal. You can ask for a pro-rated refund at any time you like.

I would jump on the current offer. “A bird in the hand is worth two shafts in the bush!”

I will probably go with X-Care because they have a higher mileage custom plan that matches my driving profile better and will give me many more years of coverage for only a bit more. I will have 1000 miles (about 2 weeks of driving for me) after purchase to get my money back if Tesla happens to come out with a better plan.

FYI Ended up with Tesla extended warranty in the end because when I asked for the X-Care contract from the representative, he said he now needed more than a $1000 more because I had crossed the 50k mark while deciding. I would still say X-Care could be a good option for other high mileage drivers as long as you get it before you cross the 50k mile mark.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hey guys, quick update. After a few back and forths with Tesla, Chat, and Email, I was able to get the extended warranty added back to my portal. After much deliberation, I decided to keep my baby and purchase the extended warranty. While the new tech is awesome, not worth it financially for me to take a 25K bath.

TL,DR: Be persistent with Tesla support, since they are always changing services and offerings, internal communications on policies seem to suffer. While one support rep said they didn't offer extended support anymore (also from my service center), here we are with extended support (4 years 50K option, for those interested)

Wish me luck with my baby. Still crazy about her, isn't that weird? :)

Did you get any additional color on what/why the discrepancy? The selfish part of me is debating grabbing the extended warranty visible in our account right now in fear it disappears later. We also plan to hold onto our S for at least another 3-5 years.
I asked, but all I got was there "corrected the issue on my portal".. not reassuring but I was able to purchase and have a receipt to prove the transactions. They will have to honor executed agreements. Unless there is some Tom Foolery.

FWIW here is a picture of my sweet, problem child, X

IMG_3404.jpg

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D