Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extending the range of the truck.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I utilize my truck as a truck, I tow a boat, bring home tons of material (Literally tons). I am extremely interested in the cyber truck in the longest range possible.
Currently towing my bass boat on a 300 mile trip I'm getting roughly 12.5 MPG. about 2/3 of my normal millage. You have to assume the same loss of efficiency will happen as efficiency is power source neutral. So a 500 mile unloaded capacity cyber truck will get about 333 miles towing. That gets me to the back woods lakes and up into northern VT but certainly isn't getting me home. If we could drop a really good generator (Honda) 6500W or there about system and have an extended mode, we could run down the road using electrical power equivalent to 60 M/h and charging back in 26 for a net loss of 34 miles per hour as you dive 60 Miles/hour. So you basically pick up the losses from towing and you are back to about 500 miles per charge. Some stopping along the way with charging and it is a reasonable solution to what is a significant issue.

This generator can easily hold 6 - 8G of fuel and be something that utilizes a quick disconnect system in either the bet or the frunk.

I see the challenges as follows:
1) Some form of internal plug to feed power.
2) A tow haul mode that will feed the balance of power through the system.
3) A signal perhaps built into the plug that informs this system is available.
4) Programming, Lots of programming around the controls, ICE starter, battery stability etc.
5) Partnering with an ICE manufacturer like Honda to produce the right system to fit the space.

Finally: messaging- this can not be half baked. the message needs to be a tool to extend your enjoyment.

This is not insurmountable but for those of us who really use our trucks for all its abilities something needs to be considered.

Currently a Tesla cannot be charged while in motion. Nothing's impossible, but this does not seem like a design priority for them.

The Cybertruck's 4680 cells will be able to charge more quickly, so V3 Supercharging from 20% to 80% should be doable in around 10 minutes...just enough time for a biobreak and more snacks!

Reactions: nwdiver
Cybergus. I do t disagree that having a super charger around might solve the issue but super chargers are in very limited supply in the mountains of VT or in the Adirondacks.

Believe me I want a truck and in 2023 I will be InThe market for one but I need it to do what every truck should do. If the infrastructure is there then I’m for it but right now it is going to be a limiting factor.

Cybergus. I do t disagree that having a super charger around might solve the issue but super chargers are in very limited supply in the mountains of VT or in the Adirondacks.

Believe me I want a truck and in 2023 I will be InThe market for one but I need it to do what every truck should do. If the infrastructure is there then I’m for it but right now it is going to be a limiting factor.

I placed a 100 mile range circle on Chestertown, NY. There are quite a few options available in the mountains, of course, they may result in a diversion from your ideal route. The network grows every year, so by the time the Cybertruck rolls around, there should be even more options.

9D40B823-5C0F-45C5-AFA4-B9C7BE506985.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
I placed a 100 mile range circle on Chestertown, NY. There are quite a few options available in the mountains, of course, they may result in a diversion from your ideal route. The network grows every year, so by the time the Cybertruck rolls around, there should be even more options.

View attachment 612739
Wait a minute.... You want to drive 100 miles there and back to charge. Remember towing a boat in the green mountains of Vermont... So Drive 3 hours plus an hour to charge...… Before you say it isn't 3 hours... in VT you can't go 40 miles as the crow flies without it taking at least an hour and 60 miles driving.

In the end, over the next 2 years I think you will be absolutely correct, we will have the charging infrastructure to make this work in 90% of the country. I go away to get away. Many of my vacations are to escape the phone, disconnect and decompress, to get away from the sprawl and that means getting off the beaten path.

Next year 2021 we will see how things stabilize and if I can make it work and not be significantly limited then I will buy the CT in late 2022 early 2023..