Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord for Nema 14-30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone sourced a reasonably price already made extension cord for a standard dryer plug. Will be visiting my parents in miami and we have an outlet in a utility closet but it is not super close to the where the car parks, so i would need like a 25ft extension.

Looking to get one without having to make it.

Has anyone sourced a reasonably price already made extension cord for a standard dryer plug. Will be visiting my parents in miami and we have an outlet in a utility closet but it is not super close to the where the car parks, so i would need like a 25ft extension.

Totally messed up on that. Looking for something for a standard dryer plug 14-30

Don't expect that cord to be priced at the price of "standard" extension cords, heavy duty cords are a lot more expensive
25 ft. NEMA 14-30 4-Prong 30 Amp 125/250-Volt Heavy Duty Dryer Extension Cord-1430PR-025 - The Home Depot
I'd tend to be with @lolder, a Supercharger visit may be a good option. And then charge off of 120V 15A overnight.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure extension cords will mean not as much getting to the actual car due to the resistance from the extra distance. Might not be that fast. Just get a new 14-50 put in. You should be able to do it yourself for about $450 with that including $200 for a permit and inspection. Then it will charge quickly

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure extension cords will mean not as much getting to the actual car due to the resistance from the extra distance. Might not be that fast. Just get a new 14-50 put in. You should be able to do it yourself for about $450 with that including $200 for a permit and inspection. Then it will charge quickly

Properly sized extension cords will add minimal resistance to a charging path and should not interfere with the rate it charges. He's talking about visiting his parents. An extension cord is the proper temporary solution.

The one @ewoodrick recommended would work, but it's honestly pretty overpriced for what it is. 10gauge, 4 conductor for $125 is kind of a ripoff.

This extension cord: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024ECIP0/ plus an adapter to go 14-50 -> 14-30 is cheaper AND significantly higher quality. You're now at 6ga main conductor wires. Plus, it would work as a 14-50 extension cord. Only thing you have to worry about is potentially dialing back the charging rate if you use the 14-50 UMC pigtail. But again, this is a temporary solution.

EDIT: The link above also offers a 15' cable that's even cheaper. Same gauge wire. May be a better option if OP doesn't need 30' of cable.

Here is the 30 foot version of the EVSE Adapters cord that has the neutral omitted. This is nice because you can use it on a 14-50 or a 14-30. (just be sure to set your charge rate down to 24a if you use on a 30a circuit)

Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for EV, 30 ft.

I have the 20 foot version but I wish I had the 30 foot one.

I also actually wish this cord was one wire gauge lower. Clearly the UMC cable that can do 32 amps is MUCH smaller than this cord. I realize that this is probably the right size if you were using a UMC Gen 1 that can draw 40 amps, but I want a version optimized for the UMC Gen 2 that is smaller and lighter.

Oh, and get this adapter in order to have that cord also support the "old" dryer plugs that are very very common still (10-30):

NEMA 10-30P to 14-50R Adapter

And this adapter will let you use that extension cord on 5-15 and 5-20 receptacles as well:

NEMA 5-15P/5-20P to 14-50R 120V Adapter for EV, 3 ft.

So with that cord and those two adapters plus the factory UMC with the 14-50 adapter, you can then handle: 14-50, 14-30, 10-30, 5-15, and 5-20 receptacles all at like 50' away from your car. You just have to be religiously careful about setting charge currents and you don't have the safety features of the temp sensors in the adapters that come with the UMC.

Extension cords and adapters like this are in general a bad idea, but they are the reality of being able to charge in weird locations where you are a guest.

I have been working through retrofitting my families homes and vacation houses with 14-50's so I don't have to worry when visiting.

Last edited:
I posted yesterday on the Tesla forum, anyway FYI: I was also looking for the 10-30 old dryer style dongle that is always "sold out" at the Tesla site. Call me when you are ready for signout!, called and placed an order with the local service center. To my surprise, got a call after 10 days or so and I just picked up my 10-30 dongle!

So, I found this $83 NEMA 10-30 25ft dryer extension cord on homedepot.com and it was from this company called AC works:
AC WORKS 10 ft. STW 10/3 NEMA 10-30 3-Prong 30 Amp Heavy Duty Thick Dryer Extension Cord-1030PR-010 - The Home Depot
AC WORKS - Extension Cords - Extension Cords & Surge Protectors - The Home Depot

I don't immediately see what you need on the HD listings, but odds are you can work with the company directly; my order came with a flyer for their products, IIRC all made in the US. The cord was extremely heavy and well-built, and I'm REALLY happy with it. I highly recommend you look at them for your extension cord needs -- not really something worth cheaping out on.

I used it a few times for a few hours while I was home and awake, and I used my IR gun to measure the joints, the cord, and the head of the cable where it plugs into the wall, and temps were super low considering that it was carrying 24a at 240v. Barely above ambient, maybe 75f... maybe 78 or 80f tops at the plug head. The hottest part of all of the assemblies was the UMC itself at around 85 or 90f; again, not concerning at all (but I wanted to check before it sat on my carpeted garage floor for 12 hours overnight!

good luck. In the end, I only needed it for a few charges because my solar installers and HPWC all came a lot sooner than expected, but I carry it in the frunk, because why not?

hmmm I must be missing something here. All I see is a 10 foot 10-30 extension cord in the links. Here is a 25ft 10-30 extension cable from Amazon that others have used for their EV's .