Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord from dryer outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The neutral pin isn't used by the UMC. The cord sans neutral will work for charging but that doesn't make it a recommended setup as one loses the automatic charge rate selection.

That said, I wanted to carry a single 20' extension cable for travel despite the fact that one must understand the capabilities of the outlet being used to use it safely. The cable is well made - I used it to charge at 40A using the UMC for months. It stays much cooler than the UMC cable. It's up to you to make your own decision based upon your own risk assessment / convenience.
Link at EVSEadapters.com

so can an electrician weigh in? so is the neutral prong safe to cut? I have noticed my Gen 2 adapter with the prong cut seems to throw a tiny spark sometimes when first being connected to 14-50 extension cord (I think it may be that the plug is not as secure as a fit with the neutral removed) so I'm thinking of getting a replacement 14-30 gen 2 adapter and using my previous setup which worked well for the past year with this heavy duty 14-30 outlet to 14-50 plug (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJESJU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I just use one outlet

No, don't cut it off, buy the proper adapters.

I'm changing all of my adapters from the Volt over to tesla. All of my cables are now to small and the outlets are wrong. It's costing me time and money but it is the right thing to do.

I don't know what is in the UMC, again I having even taken it out of the bag. But on commercial appliances they might not have a seperate ground. this was allowed by UL for using double insulated configuration.

You say your seeing sparks when you plug in I would be concerned, but it might just be a Capacitor discharging. if the UMC is double insulated, the ground and neutral pins are longer and are the first to make and the last to break and they would have discharged any load or apply a "grounded Path" for the current to flow instead of your body, which under the right circumstances it could happen. Artical 625.10 F mandates this for the ground pin. I'm sure article 100 and other locations of the code prohibit tampering with an appliance

Common sense would say it's cheaper to buy the proper adapter than the cost of a lawyer or a medical bill. heck if Tesla found out what your doing they could simply void your car's warranty.

In all honesty the code Art 625 doesn't even want us to use extension cords. They are very specific on chargers cable lengths for both fixed and portable.

Last edited:
this cord is a commercial one sold by this site with the neutral not there - they sell it as a universal one: NEMA 14-30P/14-50P/14-60P to 14-50R Adapter

So this is nothing more than a commercially available adapter with the neutral prong missing (i.e. cut)? I wonder if this is UL approved?

I made this adapter myself a couple of years ago and due to this discussion, recently asked my local building inspector what he thought of this arrangement. He felt since the safety ground was present it was not a shock hazard but agreed if an unsuspecting RV’r used it, it would likely damage any 120v appliance. When I asked about liability issues he said since it’s an extension cord, it’s not his domain — “talk to your insurance agent ”. o_O

So this is nothing more than a commercially available adapter with the neutral prong missing (i.e. cut)? I wonder if this is UL approved?

I made this adapter myself a couple of years ago and due to this discussion, recently asked my local building inspector what he thought of this arrangement. He felt since the safety ground was present it was not a shock hazard but agreed if an unsuspecting RV’r used it, it would likely damage any 120v appliance. When I asked about liability issues he said since it’s an extension cord, it’s not his domain — “talk to your insurance agent ”. o_O

Could not find one but that doesn't mean it listed or not. Call and ask, hopefully they are.

So I went and looked at my UMC. no UL listing label or logo on it anywhere.

Adapter's nope.

HPWC I have not looked at but it does say it with its listing number in the book. with the recent Patent decisions I wonder if Tesla also shies away for copyright logos also????
I dont have the book to look it up. I would bet as large as Tesla is I would think there properly listed. comparing there chargers to the code book there are spot on.

However the adapters all say "do not use with an Extension cord" same as NEC art 625. Yea right who can always plug in without the cord on the road. Not till they properly build out the charging network. It's a "subject to physical damage" issue.

There are currently recall's going on everywhere thanks to the Chinese stuff. there are actually cords out there claiming there "Heavy duty"14 gauge wire printed right on the cord and there not i believe they were actually 18 gauge wire. some really scary stuff for all of us.

I don’t like the missing pin and the cord will be pulling on it. the outlet will whare out quicker as noted and would agree with dryer buddy outlet option.

I really don’t care for either setup, where your tricking a 50a cord into a 30 amp ckt and the first time you forget to change rate there going to be an issue

If you got the 30amp extension cord with the 30a Tesla adapter would be automatic and much Safer

Where is the dryer outlet in house or garage?

I don’t like the missing pin and the cord will be pulling on it. the outlet will whare out quicker as noted and would agree with dryer buddy outlet option.

I really don’t care for either setup, where your tricking a 50a cord into a 30 amp ckt and the first time you forget to change rate there going to be an issue

If you got the 30amp extension cord with the 30a Tesla adapter would be automatic and much Safer

Where is the dryer outlet in house or garage?

The dryer is in the house. This setup wouldn’t be used daily though, I would say 95% of the time I will use the standard 110v outlet in my garage, I am only wanting a faster charge option for road trip days and such.

I created a new thread outlining my situation in more detail based on your suggestion, hoping that someone could help. This time I’m pretty use it’s a 30a extension cord and 30a apadter. Do you mind giving it a look and verifying I purchased the correct products? Thank you so much

Solution for NEMA 14-30 Dryer

Those are basically the same product, just different manufacturers, correct? I’m debating between buying one of those two. Any thoughts?
i've had the latter one with no issues (Conntek) - it's a solid looking commercial grade product and I believe its UL or ETL (will go check mine) approved. Caution in that I've heard the tesla resetting the amps back to 40 amps and popping the breaker, so thats why I use the 14-30 tesla adapter to limit to 24 amps and then a conversion from 14-30 to 14-50. (A 14-30 extension cord would make more sense in my case but I wanted to have a 14-50 extension cord for trips and my situation I'm hoping to get a 14-50 socket wired by an electrician eventually).

Last edited:

yeah I noticed it doesn't say anything about UL approved on the site. I'm ditching my neutral cut adapters and going back to just commercially made and sold adapters. I reordered the 14-30 adapter plug from tesla I've had no issues iwht these products (they all look like commercial grade products and have appropiate stickers u might expect to see (will check to see if they are UL or ETL certified which I believe they all are). (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...etailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20) and the camco 14-50 extension cord (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XL2IG8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and this 14-30 outlet to 14-50 plug (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJESJU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) conversion (unless someone can find a better rugged made one without the 2 outlets). Eventually I'm hoping to get an actual 14-50 in the next year with some remodelling work. I take the 14-50 15 foot camco cord on long road trips in case in emergency an RV park hookup is needed. A 14-30 extension cord would do just as well but I couldn't find one made by camco and I didn't like this one's wierd rubbery smell (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRC08Q8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

The dryer is in the house. This setup wouldn’t be used daily though, I would say 95% of the time I will use the standard 110v outlet in my garage, I am only wanting a faster charge option for road trip days and such.

I created a new thread outlining my situation in more detail based on your suggestion, hoping that someone could help. This time I’m pretty use it’s a 30a extension cord and 30a apadter. Do you mind giving it a look and verifying I purchased the correct products? Thank you so much

Solution for NEMA 14-30 Dryer

Will do if you got the 50A cord keep it for road trips. then get the 30a cord for this situation, with the Tesla adapter.

I would go with the second one from amazon
The neutral pin isn't used by the UMC. The cord sans neutral will work for charging but that doesn't make it a recommended setup as one loses the automatic charge rate selection.

That said, I wanted to carry a single 20' extension cable for travel despite the fact that one must understand the capabilities of the outlet being used to use it safely. The cable is well made - I used it to charge at 40A using the UMC for months. It stays much cooler than the UMC cable. It's up to you to make your own decision based upon your own risk assessment / convenience.
Link at EVSEadapters.com

it seems from searching on the forum others have checked continuity on the neutral pin and there is none on the output of the adapter of a 14-30/14-50 as it heads into the UMC. Even still I i'm replacing mine with the stock adapter unmodified just so the plug will stay more securely in the socket. If the neutral is not tied to anything why is the automatic rate selection affected? ( I believe the 14-30 adapter internals have circuitry to limit to 24 amps, cutting the neutral wouldn't affect that I would think? (will go test this theory now in the car with the cut neutral adapter to see if it would exceed 24Amps which if it does would be not good). UPDATE: confirmed gen 2 14-30 adapter even with neutral prong cut wouldnt exceed 24 amps in the car = cannot overrride to higher amps and also confirmed with Gen 1 14-30 will only do 24 amps even if neutral prong cut )

Last edited:
I don't understand this, electrically. Why would the lack of a neutral pin on the cord affect the rate selection, which is inside the UMC?

it doesn't see my post above - I tested the theory and my neutral-cut tesla 14-30 adapter still selects correct rate (rate is selcted by teh tesla UMC adapter that you can snap on and off - not the umc - I popped on the 14-50 and it wanted to jump to 40 amps which I quickly stopped since I have a 14-30). Ideally keep the neutral so the socket fits more securely - I'm planning to go back to teh stock adapter. and then use the correct pigtails or cords as needed. and get the right tesla adapter so you can't accidentally select too many amps

it doesn't see my post above - I tested the theory and my neutral-cut tesla 14-30 adapter still selects correct rate (rate is selcted by teh tesla UMC adapter that you can snap on and off - not the umc - I popped on the 14-50 and it wanted to jump to 40 amps which I quickly stopped since I have a 14-30). Ideally keep the neutral so the socket fits more securely - I'm planning to go back to teh stock adapter. and then use the correct pigtails or cords as needed. and get the right tesla adapter so you can't accidentally select too many amps
Ok, sorry. Missed your post. And, yes, the rate is selected by the adapter (and reported by the UMC), but the point was that it's on the UMC-side of the extension cord, and it's not using the neutral line for some sort return path. Yea!

Reactions: cybergates
It's safe if you use the right cable and take care to prevent moisture from getting into the connections. I use a 30' RV extension cord (NEMA 14-50) to charge my S. I just dial the amperage down to 20A. The cord and plugs don't even get warm. I bought a plastic tub with a lid for the plug connection to sit inside of. I cut holes for the cable to run through and then put the lid on. It's all water safe now.

Could you post pictures of what you are using to protect the plug connection against the elements? I live in the northeast and the weather can be crazy at times. This is a great idea!!