Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension Cord Sidewalk Push Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fail to see why so many people simply assume the HOA will not be reasonable. The OP will need to propose a solution better than running his cord over the sidewalk, but there's no reason to assume they won't appove a properly installed EVSE on a pedestal.

Because 99.9% of the time they are not (in general).

Practically speaking, few HOA neighborhoods will want a bunch of trellises all over the place to run the cord over the sidewalks. Very few neighbors are going to want to share the cost to benefit just one or a small handful - especially in tight times. Few will want to incur the cost to install it for all homes. Most HOAs are already in debt anyway, so they have to raise the fees sooner or later just to cover what they do today…so this yet-another thing to worry about. Then there’s the liability issue to consider, and potential additional assessments for maintenance etc…

I fail to see why so many people simply assume the HOA will not be reasonable. The OP will need to propose a solution better than running his cord over the sidewalk, but there's no reason to assume they won't appove a properly installed EVSE on a pedestal.
I gave them a list of 4-5 solutions mentioned in this thread other than the cord on the sidewalk. Never heard back.

Their first letter mentioned that they are looking to future projects for charging in our area but does not have a official EV charging policy.

Reactions: tm1v2 and valaeyron
I gave them a list of 4-5 solutions mentioned in this thread other than the cord on the sidewalk. Never heard back.

Their first letter mentioned that they are looking to future projects for charging in our area but does not have a official EV charging policy.
I doubt that sending a list of 4-5 "solutions" is the correct procedure for proposing an improvement project. You're going to have to do some work. Get an electrician to give you a quote for installing a proper curbside EVSE, and write it up as a formal proposal.

I doubt that sending a list of 4-5 "solutions" is the correct procedure for proposing an improvement project. You're going to have to do some work. Get an electrician to give you a quote for installing a proper curbside EVSE, and write it up as a formal proposal.
@davewill You are correct, but since the HOA is letting @Floydsox continue with their current charging setup for now, not much reason to go to that effort on behalf of the HOA yet. Being proactive is good but also need to prioritize carefully. :)

I live in MD and we are a right to charge state which means I can install a charge at my home with HOA consent.

They don’t have a problem with my charger but they do have a problem with it extending over the sidewalk in front on my TH.

I’m not even sure what the legalities of this. I know it can be a tripping hazard which is why I bought the rubber mat.

They are talking about it this week and they will let me know their decision.

Anyone else have this kind of issue in their neighborhood?View attachment 769147
Any updates?

Reactions: tm1v2
Trip hazard is a pretty strong claim for a highly visible warning mat with a slight raise in the middle that is even easy to go over with a wheel chair. By that argument you DO NOT have the right to run a hose to wash your car? That's a little thicker than the charging cable after all.

Hoses, recycle bins, toys, bikes, flower pots, sticks, and even just uneven sidewalk all regularly create trip hazards on sidewalks. There is an expectation that you will reasonably look out for yourself if you walk outside and considering people step over hoses all the time I wouldn't be a sympathetic juror if you said that mat made you fall.
OP may win against someone who sues, but it could still require hiring a lawyer and defending themselves.

• Funny
Reactions: KJD
Yes! A brand new HOA board has been voted in and I was told EV charging will be allowed as long as it’s done during off peak times 10pm-6am and the cord is covered with a large enough mat. They also may require a small EV charging sign next to the cord. 👍

I’m the mean time, 2 more neighbors have taken delivery of a model Y.
Very interesting. Not that I'm in an HOA or anything, but friends-of-a-friend types keep on contacting me and asking picky questions, so I'd like to hear some of the details of how this is going to play out.

First: That, "Off Peak Times" comment. Um. Exactly who is paying for the electricity, anyway? I mean, if one lives in a condo/rental/whatever and is using electricity for the lights/stove/microwave/HVAC, well, anybody who lives and breathes pretty much uses roughly the same amount of electrical power. A BEV, though, is a somewhat different animal. Not that a BEV costs as much to run around the landscape as an ICE (we all know, it's roughly 1/3 less), but, well, it's money none the less. And depending upon how much an individual is driving, especially when one is talking a condo association and individuals come from all over the map, it could end up being quite a bit of money. At the very least, people who aren't driving BEVs might object with some justification if their HOA fees are paying for others' transportation costs.

On the other hand: "Off Peak Times" refers, sometimes, to the maximum power draw from the local power utility. But one would think that when we're talking a residential area, "Peak" probably wouldn't refer to during the day, when everybody (or at least a substantial percentage) of the residents are out working somewhere, but rather when everybody is hanging out at home.. during the evening. Unless the HOA is getting some reduced rates from the utility by arranging things so that the HOA's area is running max power at night, rather than the daytime.

I like the trick with the mat. Is the sign something that has to be near the mat?

And final, but stupid questions: Exactly what kind of cord are you planning to run out to the car? Heavy duty extension to a Mobile Connector? A nice, long cable hooked to a Tesla Wall Connector? If it's the latter, then, with the Gen 3 TWC, there's a straightforward way of keeping moochers out; if it's a heavy duty extension cord, you going to have a (largish) switch on the inside to keep moochers from snagging energy they shouldn't?

First: That, "Off Peak Times" comment. Um. Exactly who is paying for the electricity, anyway?
I have a sneaking suspicion that this is not about the power cost but rather foot traffic likelihood: they only want the cable out when there is a lower chance of someone tripping.

Personally, knowing how overly cautious HOAs tend to be, I am surprised they relented on this. Happy (for you OP) that they did though!

Not bury. A conduit cableway under the sidewalk that the cord passes through. 3” PVC conduit.
Basically you are saying cement a 3” PVC pipe under the sidewalk, allowing you to freely pass the charging cable through it when in use? Honestly that makes sense and would make for a very clean solution that doesn’t involve any permanent electrical modifications.

Yes, this is exactly what I had proposed. I would not even cement. I would dig an access hole on either side and then tunnel the 3" (even 2") PVC right under the sidewalk. I suspect one could even use the same pipe is a bore and drive it from one side to the other through the dirt using a sledge hammer and when it came out the other side, cut it off (as the pipe will be packed with dirt) and add a 90 degree fitting to come back up to sidewalk level and then another 90 degree fitting as a rain guard and seal either end of the pipe once the cable has passed through. Get creative and come up even farther into an access box or whatever.

Having used an extension cord for about a year and a half, I also know it got hot. One time it got hot enough that the car shut off charging. It was a 20 amp cord with a 12a draw so it should have been ok.

Better would be the thick charger cable all the way from the building but I'm sure that would be very expensive for a long one.

I have since had the Tesla Charger on a 50amp line installed.

Reactions: tm1v2 and KJD
The original problem was because it was considered a tripping hazard and that I would take liability. I asked for other options.

I still use the same setup originally but I changed my charging habits. I use my work chargers as much as I can and when I need to charge at home, I do it very late at night.

Here’s an example.
CC8FEED4-C487-4BBD-A488-1B92BF5E228E.jpeg

Reactions: tm1v2 and Proppilot
The original problem was because it was considered a tripping hazard and that I would take liability. I asked for other options.

I still use the same setup originally but I changed my charging habits. I use my work chargers as much as I can and when I need to charge at home, I do it very late at night.

Here’s an example. View attachment 890183
If I may ask, what kind of charger / plug did you install at your home? Outdoor wall? Thank you

Reactions: pipestem