Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

External speaker retrofit to enable boombox on 2018 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that possible? Getting a speaker should not be that hard. Besides that, what I know is 2018 car has those drill-throughs on the front bottom plate for speaker. So I would assume on the other side there also exists some means to hold the speaker. The only problems are, is it simple to connect the speaker all the way to MCU? Once that finished does it automatically turn on?

Based on what I have gathered from multiple threads, here is what a retrofit would likely entail: You would need to have the HW3 computer with the later MCU. You would have to do a split tap connector to access the two unused pins on the MCU under the glove box which are used for the speaker. You would need to run a wiring harness forward for the speaker. You would need to find a way to mount the speaker.

Not trivial. And then there is the question if it would even work on a car that is not flagged with it from the factory...

Last edited:
Based on what I have gathered from multiple threads, here is what a retrofit would likely entail: You would need to have the HW3 computer with the later MCU. You would have to do a split tap connector to access the two unused pins on the MCU under the glove box which are used for the speaker. You would need to run a wiring harness forward for the speaker. You would need to find a way to mount the speaker.

Not trivial. And then there is the question if it would even work on a car that is not flagged with it from the factory...
You'd also need someone with Telsa Toolbox to edit the gateway config to tell the car it has the speaker.

Mounting the speaker should be pretty easy. I've got a 2018 performance model 3 that I took delivery of in September 2018. I had a rat in my front bumper a few months after taking delivery that chewed through a lot of the wires in my front bumper. I took the bumper off to replace wires. There's definitely a place on the inside to mount a speaker. I seem to remember there being some wiring that didn't go to anything and I assumed it was for the speaker that wasn't there, although I could be misremembering.

Here's a photo that shows the speaker mounting spot, along with some rat-chewed wire, hair, and pee: IMG_20190111_171359.jpg

Mounting the speaker should be pretty easy. I've got a 2018 performance model 3 that I took delivery of in September 2018. I had a rat in my front bumper a few months after taking delivery that chewed through a lot of the wires in my front bumper. I took the bumper off to replace wires. There's definitely a place on the inside to mount a speaker. I seem to remember there being some wiring that didn't go to anything and I assumed it was for the speaker that wasn't there, although I could be misremembering.

Here's a photo that shows the speaker mounting spot, along with some rat-chewed wire, hair, and pee: IMG_20190111_171359.jpg
There are 2 unused connectors under the frunk tub in my made in March 2018 Model 3. But they aren't for a speaker because they had 3 wires and 4 wires (IIRC). One of the connectors is on the passenger side and the other is on the driver side.

A year ago the question was "How do you get rid of the speaker."

You mean like this 68 post / 4 page thread here?

Pedestrian Warning Sound

edit:

Here is the main one I was thinking about, reading this. Enjoy this 226 post 12 page thread on disabling the noisemaker system
How do I disable the noisemaker in my Tesla Model 3

I find this whole thing very comical. People were all up in their feelings about tesla adding this, almost exactly a year ago and there were several threads like the one above, talking about how to disable it, and complaints about why they added it, etc.

Now, its the exact opposite.

Last edited:
You mean like this 68 post / 4 page thread here?

Pedestrian Warning Sound

edit:

Here is the main one I was thinking about, reading this. Enjoy this 226 post 12 page thread on disabling the noisemaker system
How do I disable the noisemaker in my Tesla Model 3

I find this whole thing very comical. People were all up in their feelings about tesla adding this, almost exactly a year ago and there were several threads like the one above, talking about how to disable it, and complaints about why they added it, etc.

Now, its the exact opposite.
I remember the whole idea of boombox also grown there. Thankfully Elon approved and granted it.

This wire found on my May 2019 build may be used for plugging in a pedestrian warning speaker... hopefully

Attachments

• 8AED2645-6BD8-40C8-BE8C-3DCBC84EEB01.jpeg
    8AED2645-6BD8-40C8-BE8C-3DCBC84EEB01.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 1,400
  • 01352F09-2B5A-4036-AFC0-3A4D9AA80210.jpeg
    01352F09-2B5A-4036-AFC0-3A4D9AA80210.jpeg
    530.4 KB · Views: 653
  • 754948EA-A1E8-4AC3-AEFC-C520DF92A5AD.jpeg
    754948EA-A1E8-4AC3-AEFC-C520DF92A5AD.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 798
Hope you find the solution, nothing better than a model 3
going down the street playing "love train" O Jays
Sorry in lockdown its buy 1 get two free drinks til 1am.
gots to go
Or go with ozzy and roll down the windows (crazy train)

Last edited: