Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme battery loss on Model 3 (˜10% per day) since 2023.20.4.1. Contacted service and told this is normal (more info below)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jjrandorin , I remember a thread around here some time ago where cars wouldn't sleep if they were plugged in, even when not charging. I don't remember the exact solution, it might have been firmware in some cases and a charging controller replacement in others. Does your car sleep when you leave it unplugged?

Thats a good question actually, and yes, I remembered that discussion here previously (which is why, in my wall of text story I posted previously, one of the last steps was "I removed the charging cable").

It seemed to go to sleep after that. I dont know how long it took, because I didnt check on the car yesterday during the day at all, but when I checked on it in the evening, I got the familiar swirl in the Tesla app and "last seen 6 hours ago" message. When I got home in the evening, I plugged it back in, and when I checked this morning it appears to be sleeping. It woke up at its scheduled time to charge, then seemed to go back to sleep at some point.

Seems like 2023.20.8 is now available for some. Has anyone gotten this update yet? And has the battery drain improved?
Not got it yet.

Had a mobile service and they did a high voltage reset and reinstall of 2023.20.7.

Initially the car slept. I took it out for a drive that evening. Then checked in the morning. Drained 7% overnight and Tesla tech confirmed the car did not sleep overnight.

They booked me in next week to leave the car for a couple days at a service center. Said something about more checks and checking wire harnesses.

I really think this is purely software related as the car was perfectly fine until 2023.20.4.1.

Reactions: SigNC
This is interesting, a thread on Reddit that sounds like the exact same problem but they managed to get it fixed.

The user is saying Tesla replaced the “restraint control module” and the car is now sleeping correctly.

@TheWeb1000 or anyone else, have you managed to get a service appointment yet? Mine isn’t until the end of the week.
Not yet, I have my service appointment on Friday so I’ll update this post after I pick up the car

Reactions: greg1 and GSP
I installed 2023.20.8 yesterday. Initially, just like the other updates, the car slept right after the update was installed.

But just like before after the first drive it’s back to staying awake and draining the battery. Lost 7% again overnight.

@jjrandorin , I remember a thread around here some time ago where cars wouldn't sleep if they were plugged in, even when not charging. I don't remember the exact solution, it might have been firmware in some cases and a charging controller replacement in others. Does your car sleep when you leave it unplugged?

I suppose you were referring to this thread (No longer sleeping after 2021.4.11) and other similar threads around March 2021. My Model 3 was hit with the problem back then. My car ended up having its charge port ECU replaced, although many reported a few days after my repair that a firmware update fixed the issue.

Reactions: GtiMart
I stumbled across this thread while researching whether I should install 2023.20.8 release on my new 2023 M3LR (HW3, no FSD or EAP). This would be the first non-factory release pushed to me. I am currently on 2023.12.300.1.

Just to summarize the thread, please correct me if I am wrong:
a) everyone reports that excess overnight battery drain began some time after they installed 2023.20.4.1 SW release
b) the drain appears to be happening due to car not staying asleep while parked; Energy>Vehicle Standby shows a high battery consumption; the drain cannot be attributed to 1) Sentry use, 2) Cabin Overheat Protection, 3) connection or disconnection of charging cable, 4) Tesla App, 5) third party apps or any other User Error
c) both M3 and MY owners have experienced the same issue (not unique to one vehicle hardware)
d) at least one person has reported correction of the problem when SC replaced the Restraint Control Module
e) there are multiple confirmations that neither 2023.20.7 nor recent 2023.20.8 releases fix the drain issue
f) there are no known work arounds

So 2023.20.8 has been downloaded on my vehicle over LTE but I am postponing installation by dismissing the install screen that keeps popping up every time I start a new driving session (I don't know any other way to prevent the installation).
My concern is if 2023.20.7 and 2023.20.8 did not fix the issue, then if I install 2023.20.8 I will likely start seeing the battery drain issue. Has anyone else observed this happening after migration from the factory release to .7 or .8 release? I am still using Sentry most every night until I get rid of my old vehicle in my garage. Sentry does drain the battery from 80% to 20% in 4-5days. I did verify previous night, when Sentry was off because the battery was below 20%, that there was negligible overnight drain, < 1%, so I currently do NOT have a battery drain issue with 2023.12.300.1 installed.

I see this phantom battery drain as a BIG issue! We need to make a lot of noise to get someone's attention in the upper echelons of Tesla software development. TheWEB1000 has done a very good job of documenting the problem and ruling out other causes. Keep up the good work! I for one, will be hesitant now to take any new software release that hasn't been in use and proven for a couple of months.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
I would wait until someone can confirm new software update which addresses the issue. It's an unnecessary waste of power (~5kwh / day) and summer road trips range is reduced.., even if car is parked overnight.
Hi I have been through the same issue on a 2023 model Y RWD. Last update the car slept initially but not after driving. Support gave me the same feedback as everyone else on this thread. I just updated to 2023.20.9 and the car is sleeping. I’m on holiday though so won’t drive it until next Monday. This will be true test to see if the issue is solved.

Reactions: odguy
Some progress it seems. I dropped my car off at a service center yesterday. Got to speak directly to the tech, he was so helpful and understanding. Came out to the car to discuss the battery drain issue and the parking assist not working.

I mention the “restraint control module” fix that another SC did that seemed to resolve the sleep issue (see my previous posts in this thread). He went into service mode in the car, said it’s unlikely to be the RCM as there isn’t any faults. But did say the the computer that does the driver assistance features was “shutdown”. Said that’s why “Park assist unavailable” warning was showing. And why cruise didn’t work, no driving visuals on the screen. Said that was very weird.

Tech called today and said they think it’s a signalling problem to the RCM. He confirmed the car was not sleeping at all. Which was such a relief to have the problem actually acknowledged instead of trying to tell me this is normal to lose 10% a day.

They don’t have the part so I’m booked for end of month for another service.

I’m still shocked it’s not software related as lots of people have this exact problem when they updated to 2023.20.4.1.

I hope the tech is right, will update when this is all finally resolved.

Tech’s notes incase this helps anyone else with a SC visit:

“Confirmed customer concern. Suspect internal short in RH BCM causing incorrect signal to RCM, causing the car not to sleep.. Will replace RH BCM next visit”

Some progress it seems. I dropped my car off at a service center yesterday. Got to speak directly to the tech, he was so helpful and understanding. Came out to the car to discuss the battery drain issue and the parking assist not working.

I mention the “restraint control module” fix that another SC did that seemed to resolve the sleep issue (see my previous posts in this thread). He went into service mode in the car, said it’s unlikely to be the RCM as there isn’t any faults. But did say the the computer that does the driver assistance features was “shutdown”. Said that’s why “Park assist unavailable” warning was showing. And why cruise didn’t work, no driving visuals on the screen. Said that was very weird.

Tech called today and said they think it’s a signalling problem to the RCM. He confirmed the car was not sleeping at all. Which was such a relief to have the problem actually acknowledged instead of trying to tell me this is normal to lose 10% a day.

I’m still shocked it’s not software related as lots of people have this exact problem when they updated to 2023.20.4.1.

“Confirmed customer concern. Suspect internal short in RH BCM causing incorrect signal to RCM, causing the car not to sleep.. Will replace RH BCM next visit”
It could also be a software bug that is preventing that signaling.

• Informative

Thanks for the update. Mine did the same (no park assist or cruise) but that came back after the Ranger “Rebooted” the car and it has stayed active through the last software update. I’ll be pretty certain if latest update fixes my issue next Tuesday. So far it is sleeping. If not, I’ll pass on your update to my local service team (Newcastle)

here is an update, I’m currently taking an Uber back to pick up the car. Don’t know if this was a waste of time yet, but here we go.

Last week when I was looking at the estimate, I saw that a restraint control module was listed as a replacement and was hopeful as another member here linked a reddit post that replacement solved it.

This morning when I dropped off the car, the service center individual mentioned that they would do a software re-install, check the 12v battery, and if that didn’t solve it they would replace the RCM as they already had it in stock. He acknowledged that the drain was not normal, and was also convinced that this was a software issue as I was also having issues with the vehicle visualizations not showing and cruise control not working (no cars, traffic lights, or even lines showing. Simply just a white screen with the car in the middle)

Now, i see that my car was updated to 2023.20.9 from 2023.20.7 but no RCM replacement as per the service message:

performed a low voltage (LV) power reset for 10 minutes and firmware (FW) redeployed. Retested. ok. Advise customer to monitor over night if its not resolve the issue advice customer to rebook for RCM replacement.

Kinda disappointed that the replacement was not done as it was part of the estimate, as if this issue continues I will have to drop off the car again when they already had the part. But at the same time, hoping this issue is solved with the 2023.20.9 update. If not, I will have an appointment booked hopefully next week

@greg1 @GSP

• Informative