Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme battery loss on Model 3 (˜10% per day) since 2023.20.4.1. Contacted service and told this is normal (more info below)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the update @TheWeb1000
I really hope it’s fixed for you.
performed a low voltage (LV) power reset for 10 minutes and firmware (FW) redeployed. Retested. ok.
A mobile tech did both for me and the car slept until it was driven once.
When I dropped off at the SC I let the tech know to drive it after any fix to confirm.
But at the same time, hoping this issue is solved with the 2023.20.9 update.
You should know pretty quickly. I learned you can tell the car was asleep if you hear the high voltage connectors closing (clunk clunk sound from under back seat) when you first get into the car.
I can actually hear that sound from my window when I interact with the app and the car was sleeping. My loaner car (a 2019 Model 3) sleeps just fine after 15-20 minutes.

Let me know if new software actually fixes it. I pickup my car tomorrow.

Reactions: TheWeb1000
i had a similar issue since about mid to late june till 2 weeks ago i keep sentry on all the time thou thought i was crazy but didn’t worry too much as it was ~15% i would loose in ~ 32 hours. But early last week i got 2023.20.9 pushed and didn’t notice it as bad last week or this week more like 9% (My car remains unplugged one Night a week due to work) yesterday day i got 2023.26.1 pushed. My drain when at work today (~8 hrs) was ~1% less than what it was on 20.9 before Recently i loose 3-4 % today i only lost 2% only time will tell thou.

Last edited:

When I dropped off at the SC I let the tech know to drive it after any fix to confirm.

You should know pretty quickly. I learned you can tell the car was asleep if you hear the high voltage connectors closing (clunk clunk sound from under back seat) when you first get into the car.
I can actually hear that sound from my window when I interact with the app and the car was sleeping. My loaner car (a 2019 Model 3) sleeps just fine after 15-20 minutes.

Yeah I can tell by how long it takes to respond/wake up in the app after 20
minutes. Takes 5 seconds or more vs instant if not sleeping. If 3 of us with identical issues found our way here there must be hundreds or even thousands of owners with the same issue.

If 3 of us with identical issues found our way here there must be hundreds or even thousands of owners with the same issue.
Lots of threads here and on Reddit too.

If there was thousands of people with the same issue, it must have started costing Tesla some real money with the amount of SC appointments and support time.

Makes me think if 2023.20.9 really does fix it maybe that’s why it is being rolled out rapidly compared to earlier releases.
IMG_1117.jpeg

Reactions: cbigfoot
It’s so frustrating. I can only suggest you screen grab your Tesla app screen with the % charge at night. Don’t access the app then screen shot again in the morning. Send this attached along with your service request explaining what u did. Also take a screen grab of the Tesla guidance online that says over 24hrs the battery will lose 1% of charge.

Update: the issue was not fixed, the car continues to drain 8-10% per day on idle and is not going to sleep. I’ve booked another service appointment and hope this time the RCM is replaced

Reactions: kevin_camera
Update: I installed 2023.20.9 on Saturday night. Like all software updates, the car initially slept. I even charged it and when it hit the target it went to sleep. In the morning I loaded up the car, again left it and the car fell asleep again. Very important to stress to the SC if you get an appointment to drive it before declaring the issue fixed. I think that's why @TheWeb1000 is now waisting his time having to go back for a second service appointment.

I then drove the car that morning and it's not slept again. You can see the timeline here:

56507D58-F07C-4E39-82F2-58D9A3A4793C_1_201_a.jpeg

So 2023.20.9 did not fix the issue.

I'm waiting to hear back about the parts availability for some part related to the Restraint Control Module (RCM) but not the RCM itself. The part is called RH BCM, maybe Right Hand Body Control Module?

Hoping to get into the SC this week and have a good fix.

Before anyone says it's the third party app Tessie keeping my car awake. I've disconnected it by changing my Tesla password for a week and also while Tesla had the car and the issue persisted. It's not Tessie.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Update: I installed 2023.20.9 on Saturday night. Like all software updates, the car initially slept. I even charged it and when it hit the target it went to sleep. In the morning I loaded up the car, again left it and the car fell asleep again. Very important to stress to the SC if you get an appointment to drive it before declaring the issue fixed. I think that's why @TheWeb1000 is now waisting his time having to go back for a second service appointment.

I then drove the car that morning and it's not slept again. You can see the timeline here:

View attachment 959132

So 2023.20.9 did not fix the issue.

I'm waiting to hear back about the parts availability for some part related to the Restraint Control Module (RCM) but not the RCM itself. The part is called RH BCM, maybe Right Hand Body Control Module?

Hoping to get into the SC this week and have a good fix.

Before anyone says it's the third party app Tessie keeping my car awake. I've disconnected it by changing my Tesla password for a week and also while Tesla had the car and the issue persisted. It's not Tessie.
Thanks so it’s purely after driving that it refuses to sleep. Will try mine tonight then log with service to book it in.

About a week and a half ago, got an update notification from 2023.12.? to 2023.20.8. Now got 2023.20.9, which seems unusual (getting a new third digit software update and so soon after the last one). Have not noticed any excessive drain or the car failing to turn off / sleep when parked while it had 2023.20.8 (no third party apps or sentry mode being used).

About a week and a half ago, got an update notification from 2023.12.? to 2023.20.8. Now got 2023.20.9, which seems unusual (getting a new third digit software update and so soon after the last one). Have not noticed any excessive drain or the car failing to turn off / sleep when parked while it had 2023.20.8 (no third party apps or sentry mode being used).
Helps to note if you have LFP and/or Ryzen (or even HW4). This seems to be only affecting those cars. The Ryzen uses a lithium LV battery, so cars prior to that may not be comparable in sleep patterns. LFP also has its own challenges for SOC estimation, so Tesla may also have software differences for that too.

Helps to note if you have LFP and/or Ryzen (or even HW4). This seems to be only affecting those cars. The Ryzen uses a lithium LV battery, so cars prior to that may not be comparable in sleep patterns. LFP also has its own challenges for SOC estimation, so Tesla may also have software differences for that too.
2022 with LFP main battery, Intel Atom infotainment processor, and lead-acid low-voltage battery.