Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme battery loss on Model 3 (˜10% per day) since 2023.20.4.1. Contacted service and told this is normal (more info below)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah all standard or RWD MY and M3 cars from past 18 months are LFP. Also all cars impacted look like Shanghai produced though I’ve not looked through them all.
The original poster for this thread TheWEB100 I believe is Canadian, and I thought Canadian M3 were shipped from Shanghai. Manufacture origin could be a factor.

I believe in Canada model 3 RWD is from Fermont. Model Y RWD is from Shanghai.

My VIN has "F" in it on the 11th spot. According to what I googled anyway.

Somewhat related, I signed up for ConEdison's SmartCharge program to get a rebate for charging from 12am-8am, and I immediately noticed battery drain. I emailed them and they informed me that they ping the car as little as every 30 minutes when not charging and as much as every minute when charging. I told me that was crazy, the car would never sleep, but they said that's how they do it. SmartCharge is run by ev.energy, a vendor based in Palo Alto, so any utility company that uses them will likely also keep vehicles constantly awake. I like the rebates, but I hate the idea of draining battery wastefully just for this rebate program.

I doubt this is the cause of the OP's issue, but for others on this thread, it's something else to eliminate as a potential cause of battery drain.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
Somewhat related, I signed up for ConEdison's SmartCharge program to get a rebate for charging from 12am-8am, and I immediately noticed battery drain. I emailed them and they informed me that they ping the car as little as every 30 minutes when not charging and as much as every minute when charging. I told me that was crazy, the car would never sleep, but they said that's how they do it. SmartCharge is run by ev.energy, a vendor based in Palo Alto, so any utility company that uses them will likely also keep vehicles constantly awake. I like the rebates, but I hate the idea of draining battery wastefully just for this rebate program.

I doubt this is the cause of the OP's issue, but for others on this thread, it's something else to eliminate as a potential cause of battery drain.
Did they ask for your Tesla login? That's really crazy because 30 minutes can easily keep your car awake forever (or at least most of the time). Some third party apps supposedly now has a way to ping the server to get cached data without waking up the car, but if your program is keeping the car awake, that obviously isn't what is happening.

I believe it depends how they do it. There is an api call that will tell you if the car is sleeping or not. That particular call will not wake the car up. Most of the other calls will however. It is my understanding that most apps (like TeslaFi) start by calling this service first and will only call the others if the car is already awake. The trick is that at some point, these apps need to stop polling so that the car has at least a chance of falling asleep. In the TeslaFi case (as I use that app) it's configurable but typically 15 minute pauses, with a check between, is enough. It's possible that SmartCharge does this and therefore wouldn't be more harmful than those other, well-behaved apps. But it would need to be verified.

I believe it depends how they do it. There is an api call that will tell you if the car is sleeping or not. That particular call will not wake the car up. Most of the other calls will however. It is my understanding that most apps (like TeslaFi) start by calling this service first and will only call the others if the car is already awake. The trick is that at some point, these apps need to stop polling so that the car has at least a chance of falling asleep. In the TeslaFi case (as I use that app) it's configurable but typically 15 minute pauses, with a check between, is enough. It's possible that SmartCharge does this and therefore wouldn't be more harmful than those other, well-behaved apps. But it would need to be verified.
What do these other apps do if they find out the car is asleep? Do they simply desist?

Because the SmartCharge app polls the car to get an answer as to whether it is plugged in and if so if it is actively charging. That's how you receive credit for charging during offpeak hours, by providing their server with confirmation that those are the only times you are charging. I would guess that the car has to be awake all the time to answer those questions.

Did they ask for your Tesla login? That's really crazy because 30 minutes can easily keep your car awake forever (or at least most of the time). Some third party apps supposedly now has a way to ping the server to get cached data without waking up the car, but if your program is keeping the car awake, that obviously isn't what is happening.
Yup, pretty sure I had to login to Tesla and authorize their access during my signup process.

TeslaFi just wants to capture stats. If the car is asleep there's nothing else to capture: you are not driving and you are not charging. If SmartCharge just need to know if the car is actively charging they can do the same as it's impossible for the car to charge when it's asleep. It needs to be awake to have the high voltage battery connected to charge.
It's not "desisting"... you call one REST api and it returns that the car is asleep. You simply don't call any additional REST apis for a little while. You can call this first api as often as you want. You just call other apis(, for example to tell if the car is actively charging) when the car is already awake. It's that easy, but it needs to be done properly.

That's incredible. I went from 20.4.1 in June to 20.7 in early July to 20.8 in mid July and finally to 20.9 on July 21st.

I have a 2019 SR+... Mine consumed 2.2% in 4 days in my garage while in vehicle standby mode..

Energy.jpg

Still having the issue on 2023.26.1 unfortunately but now I lost the ability to use autosteer and have no visualizations once again either. Not sure WTF they are doing. The SA ghosted me as well. Told me make a device appointment in the app but I don’t have the option to. I can only submit reports and no one gets back to me.

Your car is "simply" staying awake. That energy expense is typical of a car that doesn't sleep. As others said, there have been bugs like this before. I remember some cars staying awake if the charger was plugged, even though not charging. Just an example.
Once you've verified all usual suspects (sentry, smart summon, COP etc) you could also check your low voltage (12V) system. If the battery is bad, the car might constantly try to charge it. There's a menu in service mode to check for low voltage health.
I thought it could have maybe been a bad 12v battery ( I made a service appointment to replace it) Someone said it could be the HV battery charging it constanty. But I then see alot more people having the same issue I am having. I have a 2020 MY 56k miles. Should I hold off on the replacement? I went into service mode and this is what shows for my 12v battery under low voltage section.

Attachments

• IMG_2263 copy.jpg
    IMG_2263 copy.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 68